• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Gun Laws

concerned_citizen

imported post

I'm attempting to put together a collection of pertinent firearms laws and other supporting information to keep close by just in case I'm ever in need. After reviewing this forum I understand there are a few uninformed LEOs out there, and quite a few more uninformed NON-law enforcement, for that matter.
This is intended as an educational instrument; we need a better informed public.
PDF download available; your feedback would be much appreciated.

Here's the table of Contents of the PDF:

Why do I need this? Just watch the Video! 3
United States Constitution Amendment 2 4
Louisiana State Constitution, Article 1 Sec 11 4
RS 14:69.1 Illegal possession of stolen firearms 4
RS 14:94 Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities 5
RS 14:95 Illegal carrying of weapons 7
RS 14:95.2 Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone 10
RS 14:95.2.1 Illegal carrying of a firearm at a parade with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence 12
RS 14:95.4 Consent to search; alcoholic beverage outlet 13
RS 14:95.5 Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet 14
RS 14:95.6 Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties 14
RS 14:95.7 Possession of or dealing in firearms with obliterated number or mark 15
RS 14:95.8 Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile 16
RS 14:103 Disturbing the peace 17
RS 14:403 Gunshot wounds; mandatory reporting 18
RS 29:738 Emergency powers do not extend to confiscation or seizure of lawfully possessed or used firearms, weapons, or ammunition; exceptions 19
RS 32:292 Hunting or discharge of firearms, when prohibited 19
RS 38:213.1 Hunting or discharge of firearms, when prohibited 20
RS 40:329.6 Proclamation of state of emergency; conditions therefor; effect thereof 20
RS 40:1379.1 Special officers; powers and duties; concealed handgun permit 23
RS 40:1379.3 Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions 25
RS 40:1382 Negligent carrying of a concealed handgun 33
RS 40:1752 Handling of machine guns unlawful; exceptions 33
RS 40:1754 Registers to be kept; inspection thereof 34
RS 40:1781 Definitions 35
RS 40:1783 Registration with department of public safety 36
RS 40:1784 Application to possess or transfer; use of information or evidence 36
RS 40:1785 Possession or dealing in unregistered or illegally transferred weapons 37
RS 40:1786 Seizure and forfeiture of weapons; disposition thereof 37
RS 40:1798 Firearms; disposal by law enforcement agencies 37
RS 40:1796 Preemption of state law 41
RS 56.116.5 Computer-assisted remote hunting prohibited; penalties 41
CCRP 215.1 Temporary questioning of persons in public places; frisk and search for weapons 42
Louisiana Office of the Attorney General - Opinion No. 78 0795 42
Louisiana Office of the Attorney General - Opinion No. 79 1212 48
The Federalist No. 29 53
The Federalist No. 40 56

Attachments

• The Louisiana Gun Owners Companion revised 6-5-08.pdf
    423.1 KB · Views: 1,661

Carondalet

imported post

This is nice. Good work. Perhaps explanations of Brandishing and Disturbing the Peace would compliment your work, since this is a LEO's default charge.

I'm still confused about 14:95.5

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet. B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

CCW rules says I CAN carry in the restaurant side of Hooter's, etc.

concerned_citizen

imported post

I updated the PDF link above with the recommended additions. I don't have much experience with Class IIIs... you'll have to give me more to go on, but I'll be happy to add it and recreate the PDF.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
This is nice. Good work. Perhaps explanations of Brandishing and Disturbing the Peace would compliment your work, since this is a LEO's default charge.

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet. B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

There's your answer.

This is awesome btw. Thanks!

Dustin

imported post

concerned_citizen wrote:
I updated the PDF link above with the recommended additions. I don't have much experience with Class IIIs... you'll have to give me more to go on, but I'll be happy to add it and recreate the PDF.

Class III's are Silencers & Fully Automatic Weapons. Including Shotguns with a barrel of LESS than 18".

concerned_citizen

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Class III's are Silencers & Fully Automatic Weapons. Including Shotguns with a barrel of LESS than 18".
I'm trying, but I can find much if any info on the Class III's you mentioned. Maybe you could help me search fo the information here: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/tsrssearch.htm

...or maybe look for an expert in this forum to ask.

Dustin

imported post

Ok I contacted the Gun Trust Lawyer, and he sent me back this.

Code:
Dear Dustin,

Thank you for contacting us regarding a Firearms Trust. A NFA firearms trust can help you acquire class 3 weapons without the need to have your CLEO sign off on the application. Many CLEO's are refusing to look at Form 4's and/or Form 1's.

There are many benefits in using a NFA trust over a traditional trust or even purchasing the items individually.

Some of the main issues include:

1) The ability to tell your representatives how to properly transfer these assets upon your death,

2) Ability to transfer assets to those under age at a later time while giving the trustee that ability to look at his/her mental state, his/ her physical location, and age,

3) Ability for the Trustee to refuse assets transfered by will or other means if NFA and state requirements are not complied with,

4) Requirement to comply with NFA and State laws for transfer of NFA related assets, and

5) Ability to make uneven distributions to heirs to conserve value of assets.

I would like to discuss this with you more to determine if a gun trust is the best entity for your needs. Please contact me so we can discuss this further.

I have his Phone Numbers and will be calling him today. I'll keep you posted. :)

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

LA Carry to the rescue!!!!!! Now we need a small pamphlet that we can spread around the state in mass quantity to inform the sheeple!!!!

Dustin

imported post

OK SO I spent the last two hours looking thru all these Laws and Handbooks.

Yet still I have no clue as to whether or not I can own/purchase on of these.

g36cwht.jpg

I surely thought after all that reading I would have found my answer.

:(

Can I or can I not purchase a Fully Automatic Weapon and/or Silencer.

Is there a Fee ?

Is there a permit I need ?

I would really prefer anyone who replies to do so here = http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/11291.html

charlie12

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Carondalet wrote:

D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

There's your answer.

This is awesome btw. Thanks!

Where did you find that?