• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff's Deputy Injured Yesterday

Weak 9mm

imported post

I know this is off topic but I just wanted you guys to keep this man in your thoughts. He is the co-owner of a local airport called Lake-Ridge Aeropark and is a Durham County Sheriff's Deputy. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I used to fly out there regularly and I've flown with him in the aircraft that went down. He clipped a tree and nosed in on final approach to the airfield. The damage to the aircraft was severe and the only reason he survived is that you solo this aircraft from the rear seat. Thank god there was no passenger on board because the front seat, where a passenger would have been, was crushed. He had to be removed from the aircraft with the jaws of life and was flown to UNC Hospital.

He was listed as being in critical condition last night. I am not a religious man, but for those of you that are I'm sure sending a few prayers his way couldn't hurt.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2967535/

He is in the second and third photos from the left at the top of this webpage. He also set up the webpage.

http://home.nc.rr.com/lakeridge/

Sheriff

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I know this is off topic ......

The description of this forum is, and I quote....

"Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else"

So, why do you feel you are off topic? :question:

The recently closed (cough, cough) "Bad Cop, No Donut" topic was here too, right where it belongs. I didn't even get to see why the cop deserved no donut!!! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:
I know this is off topic ......
The description of this forum is, and I quote....

"Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else"

So, why do you feel you are off topic? :question:

The recently closed (cough, cough) "Bad Cop, No Donut" topic was here too, right where it belongs. I didn't even get to see why the cop deserved no donut!!! :lol:
Actually.. it is completely off topic.

But since the OP made this very clear and has explained why he posted it I am not going to close it.

It deals directly with someone he knows who was tragicallyinjured and he hoping others will think and pray for him to recover.

Based on the nature of the event.. I have chosen to overlook it.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

So, the sub-forum description...... "Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else" .....means nothing?

Everything still has to be gun related or OC related? :question:

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
So, the sub-forum description...... "Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else" .....means nothing?

Did you miss the phrase "somewhat off-topic" :?

I do not read where it says "or is completely off-topic"

Some things are a case by case decision that will not be the norm. Once you have been here a while you will get a feel for what is generally accepted by the owner and regulated by themoderators.

The phrase "or that do not fit anywhere else" means.... it is board relatedbut does not fit any of the existingsub-forums.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Once you have been here a while you will get a feel for what is generally accepted by the owner and regulated by themoderators.

I guess I will. I'm just not realaccustomed to the "micro-moderation"

(selective enforcement) that seems to take place here for some reason.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

And understandable by the moderator. Don't be blurting out any doubles entendres or sesquipedalians. Use euphemisms only and don't call a gun a hoplein.

http://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/metastuff/looking/looking.txt.gz
`And only ONE for birthday presents, you know. There's glory for you!'

`I don't know what you mean by "glory,"' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. `Of course you don't -- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

`But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument,"' Alice objected.

`When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you CAN make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master -
Code:
- that's all.'

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Once you have been here a while you will get a feel for what is generally accepted by the owner and regulated by themoderators.

I guess I will. I'm just not realaccustomed to the "micro-moderation"

(selective enforcement) that seems to take place here for some reason.

Sorry to hearyou feel that way. I have actually not seen much "enforcement" here at all. Even Doug is allowed to bash me daily with no explanation as to why.

Members have a great deal of latitude and areallowed to say pretty much anything they like.I guess the other forums you have visited had an absolutefree for all fun fest.

This forum seems to attract people who hate or distrust cops...They come here to "get it off their chest" and rant. You are admittedly one of them andsupposedlyarealso a retired cop to boot.

The owner has set guidelines as to what is allowed and has on more than one occasion asked its members to stop certain type of activity.

You may wish to read this forum where the owner explains this to the members...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum3/7073.html

Maybeafter reading the owner'spost you will better understand why some topics are handled differently.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sorry to hearyou feel that way. I have actually not seen much "enforcement" here at all. Even Doug is allowed to bash me daily with no explanation as to why.

And of my posts that you have deleted... A thread is heading off topic but only after you have had your 'glorious' say. And I am not required to make explanation to no Anony Mouse virtual spit cop.

It is not about you. <<-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphemism

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed whre thery will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD

Weak 9mm

imported post

I'm sorry that this thread has taken such a turn from the original purpose, but out of respect for this man do you guys mind taking this elsewhere?

As far as an update, he was still in critical condition as of this afternoon.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Maybeafter reading the owner'spost you will better understand why some topics are handled differently.

Actually, Ido understand his position somewhat. But I also disagree with him on several things. The most notable being that most cops are pro-gun. Not where I live. The cops around me think nobody should be allowed to own orcarry guns except them. When the "SHALL ISSUE" concealed weapon permit came down the pike, they were worse than hornets that had just been sprayed with a garden hose.

But the point is... it's not about anti-cop. Just like the 14 page threadsomebody just locked. We were discussing pay and salary.The threadwasn't anti-cop. People were simply disagreeing with your assessment that cops are worth much more than they are paid. Most of the members posting disagreed with you that internet technology folks get paid twice as much as cops. That's not anti-cop in most minds, it's just a discussion in an Internet forum. The "Bad Cop, No Donut" thread.... I don't know if that was anti-cop or not. The wording was deleted. :lol:

Anti-cop is all in the mind in some cases. Just like you declared www.badcopnews.com is anti-cop. It isn't. It simply reports the numerous crimes cops are committing against taxpayers. And yes, cops nationwide have tried to have the site closed on more than one occasion. It's now hosted on an overseas server so thewww.badcopnews.com peopledon't have to put up with the daily harassment of cops trying to have the place closed up. Several times they suspect cops brought in experts to hack them and knock them offline. But they were always back up and running within 24 hours.

And of course, you have pretty much misquoted me again. You said I am admittedly anti-cop and hate and mistrust cops. On this forum alone, I have repeatedly said I have a problem with the new breed of rookie I see waking all over people's contitutional rights. So yeah, I mistrust rookie cops. They are the ones who walk into a restaurant and pull honest law abiding citizens outside and harass them for OC. Mistrusting rookies isn't anti-cop, it's wishing somebody would clean up law enforcement in 2008.

LEO 229

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I'm sorry that this thread has taken such a turn from the original purpose, but out of respect for this man do you guys mind taking this elsewhere?

As far as an update, he was still in critical condition as of this afternoon.
Sorry about that. I tried to keep it short but someone did not get what was being said.

I do hope the injured pilot is going to pull thought.

What injuries did he sustain?

Sheriff

imported post

I don't know too much about airplanes, but that particular one doesn't look like the safest thing to be flying around in.

Wishing himluck though!

Weak 9mm

imported post

Aircraft in general are not really designed with crashing in mind like cars are. He put it straight in after clipping a tree, likely at around 50mph or so. I can't be certain but it was likely around that speed. This aircraft is safer than others in certain crash situations because it flies at very low speeds, much lower than most other powered aircraft. Also, since he was on short final at the time, he was at a relatively low speed even for that aircraft. Most aircraft have lap belts and that's it, some nicer aircraft will have a shoulder belt and aerobatic aircraft generally have a 5 point harness. Even then, seatbelts are generally used in aircraft to keep you in the seat during flight, rather than help in a crash. They can help, but that isn't their primary purpose.

If that had been an airliner, everyone on board would likely be dead, as they generally land at over 100mph and have a high risk of catching on fire. They aren't designed to crash either. There is very little in terms of electronics on this aircraft and luckily nothing caught fire after the crash. Basically, aircraft don't usually do well when they crash.

Unfortunately I do not know the extent of his injuries, but I am concerned that he may have sustained head injuries. Those are quite common in aircraft crashes of this type and I am almost certain that he only had a lap belt.

Weak 9mm

imported post

For those of you that kept him in your thoughts/prayers, thank you.

As of this time his condition has been upgraded to good. It does now appear that he will pull through, although the extent of his injuries is still unclear.

Updated story:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2969864/

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
For those of you that kept him in your thoughts/prayers, thank you.

As of this time his condition has been upgraded to good. It does now appear that he will pull through, although the extent of his injuries is still unclear.
I'm very glad to hear that and best wishes to his family and other friends as well.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well, they released his condition as being good on Sunday morning when I posted that.

Later that day it was changed to fair. I'm not sure if that was because they made an error in reporting his condition as good or if his condition went back downhill. He remained in fair condition until some time last night or this morning.

As of today they've reported that he is again in critical condition. I'm beginning to think his injuries are likely quite severe. My biggest concern is of course head injury. Mostly because even if he survives, depending upon the extent of his injuries, it may not be something from which he can ever fully recover.

So again, please keep him in your thoughts.

Today's news update:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2979669/