• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun Club / Range in Loudoun-- Zoning Hearing on Jun 9 -- NEED LARGE NUMBERS TO ATTEND!!

TexasNative

imported post

I was pretty disappointed by what they plan to do. Not that it's not a fine gun-related business to add to Loudoun County, but it certainly wasn't what I was led to believe: a public gun range for folks in this area.

I feel somewhat betrayed by the NRA on this one. I received an email from NRA ILA last week which gave me the wrong impression about this training facility. And when Joel Partridge, NRA ILA employee and Loudoun resident, said that "The NRA is under no illusions as to the nature of this facility," it felt like a slap to the face.

I was present as a grassroots activist based on NRA's email to me, and then an NRA spokesman pulls the rug out from under me?

There were some NRA apologists there last night who threw every possible argument at me to defend the NRA when we were discussing this after the hearing. That's foolish, IMHO. When the NRA screws up, they need to be called on it so they can take actions to prevent that screw up from happening again. It takes us members calling them on the carpet so they know when they screw up.

And yes, I let them have both barrels earlier this morning.

Okay, I think I'll go take my medication and calm down. ;)

Oh, and it was nice to meet you last night, Ed.

~ Boyd

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kinda sounds like a Blackwater wannabe. Will they have a training facility that will be open to the public? By that I mean multi-day training with varying types and levels of training. It would beat traveling to the far reaches of nowhere, but I doubt if we are the intended audience.

TexasNative

imported post

They seem to be focused on Law Enforcement and large security organizations, such as Wackenhut or large corporate efforts, plus the "Country Club" private memberships.

caltain

imported post

Ashburn has always had a problem with elitests. Maybe these folks couldn't get in as members at Landsdown? It's disapointing to hear that it won't be an accessable range for most of us. That's what the area needs, not another boys club.

A bit disappointing, to say the least...

caltain

TexasNative

imported post

Oh, and there was one other thing that the MVM representative stated that stuck in my craw. As Ed mentioned, they'll have a policy of no loaded weapons on the property except on the range...unless you're one of The Only Ones.

I'll never be able to understand the thought patterns where disarming citizens but not LEOs makes sense. Sure, they're free to do that as a private company, but the disrespect to gun owners is distasteful. On the other hand, the only private citizens they were showing much respect during the entire presentation was rich folks who could afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars for their premium membership.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
...the only private citizens they were showing much respect during the entire presentation was rich folks who could afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars for their premium membership.
and those RICH folks still have to unload.. I expect with the Tim Kaine tie in we can expect him to expand the law that allows Commonwealth attorneys and their deputies to carry concealed in alcohol serving restaurants to now include rich members of the Beaumeade Gun club.. because the word WEALTH is within the word CommonWEALTH and since commonwealth attorneys are "just like" law enforcement.. i conclude rich members will be ok.:banghead:

EFB16ACRX

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
ed wrote:
and those RICH folks still have to unload..
Of course they'll unload, since they'll be storing their firearms in the club's armory. :D
I dont know who it was that asked if the club would guarantee their safety on the way there and back, but, I chuckled.

ed

imported post

If this gub club gets state (of VA) and Federal clients (Swat teams, marshals, etc.) which means they are paid for by same for the courses.. maybe they would be in violation of their contracts if they strip private citizens of their right to bear (koaded) arms.

caltain

imported post

ed wrote:
If this gub club gets state (of VA) and Federal clients (Swat teams, marshals, etc.) which means they are paid for by same for the courses.. maybe they would be in violation of their contracts if they strip private citizens of their right to bear (koaded) arms.

Doubtful.Besides, they have the law on their side. I don't have a problem with anyone choosing to not allow carry in any given form on their own property. I don't even need to hear a reason. They can, they are, I'm not...

I'm not going to go there even if they do get the thing past the council. It's not intended for regular folks like me, and they've made that clear.

Question, though. What's the Tim Kaine tie in?

Cal

ed

imported post

caltain wrote:
What's the Tim Kaine tie in?
When I first heard the applicants proposal and he talked about background checks, no loaded firearms and just "weird stuff" to me and other gun owners I know that feel as I do. I got the same "weird" feeling when Kaine vetoed the concealed carry bill.

When I looked at MVMINC.com and read the presidents profile it brags about the president of MVM (which is Scott the applicants father) appointed by Governor Tim Kaine to the Virginia Secure Commonwealth Panel.

Heck.. (and this is just a far reaching speculative guess).. these MVM folks COULD be one of the "many security experts" that Kaine consulted with toadvised him that law abiding chp holders should not be allowed to carry concealed in alcohol serving restaurants

EFB16ACRX

imported post

ed wrote:

???? I dont get this.

ETA: i was the tired, pissed off looking guy in the larue hat.

EFB16ACRX

imported post

caltain wrote:
ed wrote:

Doubtful.Besides, they have the law on their side. I don't have a problem with anyone choosing to not allow carry in any given form on their own property. I don't even need to hear a reason. They can, they are, I'm not...

I'm not going to go there even if they do get the thing past the council. It's not intended for regular folks like me, and they've made that clear.

Question, though. What's the Tim Kaine tie in?

Cal
They can choose to not allow carry there, and I can choose to not spend my money there.

ed

imported post

http://tinyurl.com/6878g7

leesburg2day.com
Leesburg Today
By Erika Jacobson
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The many residents that came out in support of the Beaumeade Gun Club
Training Facility during the board of supervisors public hearing
Monday night said more firing ranges were needed in Loudoun, but said
they were not sure if the proposed facility would do much to meet
their needs.

"This is a facility that is something I think we need in Loudoun
County," Boyd Garrett said. "I really have no comment on whether this
should be approved or not because I do not know whether it is going to
do me any good or not. I come hoping to enthusiastically support it,
but I am not sure if it is going to do me any good."

Residents said they were worried that this would not be a place where
they could afford to shoot recreationally, requiring them to drive
further to the National Rifle Association's range down Rt. 28 or out
to the Blue Ridge range.

Their concerns were led by Supervisors Stevens Miller (D-Dulles) who
said he had hoped it would be a facility where he could shoot for an
hour on his way home in the evening, and was disappointed to hear it
would not be.

The Beaumeade Gun Club, which would be located in an industrial park
in Ashburn, plans to provide several tiers of membership, but operator
Scott Maquez said his company was not prepared to announce any exact
price points. Marquez did say that the prices would start at the
levels of any country club, but will go as low as to be affordable to
any local resident.

"We will definitely offer membership levels that most anybody would
find agreeable, but would depend on how much of the facility you want
to use and how often they would want to use it," he said.

But without exact numbers, some residents remained skeptical.

Marquez said they are working on the facility's marketing, but that he
would be willing to sit down with any supervisor to review the pricing
as soon as it is available.

If approved, the Beaumeade Gun Club would including three indoor
firing ranges, a 22,000-square-foot scenario house, where training for
law enforcement and federal agencies could take place, training
classrooms for hand-to-hand combat and self-defense training, as well
as a fitness area and board rooms and meeting areas.

Marquez said he had had discussions with the Loudoun County Sheriff's
Office about the facility and the department's potential to use it for
some of its training.

"Their general shooting and general re-qualification would outstrip
our abilities," he said. "What they really have interest in is our
scenario house."

Marquez told supervisors the utmost security would be used at the
facility, both through surveillance and through structural safety. The
firing ranges will be made of ballistic steel, so no projectiles could
leave the facility, he said. Marquez also said that loaded firearms
would only be allowed inside the firing ranges and that, with the
exception of law enforcement, all members would have to carry their
guns unloaded in and out of the facility. Background checks to the
level of state police or the FBI are also required for all gun club
members.

Many of the speakers objected to some of the restrictions.

"I carry a loaded gun without a background check here in this room,"
Ed Levine, a Cascades residents and certified firearms instructor,
said. "Many people do not travel the Virginia roads and neighborhoods
without being armed. The world is changing."

Rose said he was disappointed to learn he would have to enter the
facility in "an unsafe manner. That's just something that doesn't fall
within reason."

In the end, supervisors voted 8-0-1 to send the application to their
July 1 meeting for a final vote. All of the supervisors, with the
exception of Supervisor Sally Kurtz (D-Catoctin), who was absent for
the hearing, said they supported the business moving to the area.

"I think this is a great economic development tool. I think it's a
great tax base for the county," Supervisor Kelly Burk (D-Leesburg) said.

Supervisors also pointed out that the concerns of the residents about
the proposal only pointed to another business opportunity in Loudoun.

"I think we've clearly heard a demand for more facilities of firing
ranges in the county," Supervisor Lori Waters (R-Broad Run) said.

opencarrypalmtrees

shooting range in loudoun county for the the public outside thats free? show me! :)

just a wonderful thought here,

but what about a park by idle lee in leesburg virginia or actually at idle lee if they make a small range about 50 yards or 100 yards where people can go plink you just put a donation of 5 to 10 each time you go shoot. That would be a great place to have a small range for the public. I know I would certainly appreciate it. I have heard of the izaak walton league in leesburg va but you have to pay 300 some dollars and they have to accept you in. I am sure I would be a fine member but I like just being about to use a public range anyone else interested? I love to plink but there is no where to shoot unless you live on a farm in loudoun.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
just a wonderful thought here,

but what about a park by idle lee in leesburg virginia or actually at idle lee if they make a small range about 50 yards or 100 yards where people can go plink you just put a donation of 5 to 10 each time you go shoot. That would be a great place to have a small range for the public. I know I would certainly appreciate it. I have heard of the izaak walton league in leesburg va but you have to pay 300 some dollars and they have to accept you in. I am sure I would be a fine member but I like just being about to use a public range anyone else interested? I love to plink but there is no where to shoot unless you live on a farm in loudoun.

Dude you know you are resurrecting threads from 2008!