• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Impersonating a Police Officer

Weak 9mm

imported post

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2964112/

This is an interesting story. Check out this guy, I can't imagine thinking he's a police officer, but I guess some people are really that gullible. If he came up to me on a bicycle without a uniform on, I don't think I'd be handing him my ID and letting him snatch a cell phone out of my car, that's for sure.

13909-marcusavery-300x400.jpg

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Folks, this is partly why I believe we OC. The people have to quit fearing police so much that just some schmuck in civvie clothes on a bicycle can utter the word "POLICE" and get such instant compliance. Question authority, politely - but firmly.

Weak 9mm

imported post

There is debris in his hair. LOL, hello unwashed narcotics officer who rides a bicycle up to my car at a stop light in an area infested with homeless people and violence, and who obviously does drugs regularly, here's my cell phone.

Can you imagine thinking he was an LEO because "the way the man presented himself made you believe he could be an officer?" Those were apparently the victim's exact words. Of course she was an 18 year old girl and may be new to the area if she's just started attending NC State University. Like I've said before though, thugs target students on campus and leaving campus, the likelihood that they will be armed is about 0%. Otherwise the student wouldn't be, or wouldn't have been, legal while on campus.

I carry OC spray and two pocket knives at all times. I try not to leave my windows down at stoplights, but in the miata the windows don't really matter if the top is down. Since it's a manual top, there's no way to close it quickly if needed. After I was almost attacked in my miata by a crazed motorist, while the top was down and with a passenger no less, I purchased my first firearm.

LEO 229

imported post

Unfortunately... some people use the authorityof a police officer to get what they want.

Always ask for ID if the guy is not in uniform. A cop out of uniform will normally be showing you his badge as he approaches you.

Excellent undercover look!:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Now here's the interesting question: what do you do if a guy looking like this come up to you with a drawn gun and says he's an LEO?

:shock:

Well, if he has his gun drawn already.... he has got the drop on you. :shock:

If you go for your gun he will probably shoot you. :uhoh:

If you re CCing you have a chance... if he does not pat you down and is NOT actually acop.

Demand ID up front.... but I am going to have to obey his commands or risk being shot... LEO or not.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, don't be too sure. I've spent some time in New York City and you can NOT tell the undercovers from the 'real' street urchins. They are very good. They wear piss-stained clothes, they'll even take dope if it keeps them from blowing their cover. Typically, though, these guys are working specific cases and don't carry department ID, for their own protection, so you aren't likely to get busted by some apparent dirtbag without a badge unless it's to keep you from shooting someone.

-ljp

Weak 9mm

imported post

Any true undercover officer who is that deep in it is not going to ride up to you on a bicycle while you're sitting in your car at a stop light doing nothing wrong and blow their own cover.

I have seen the shows, stories and pictures of the undercover guys. I mean I am aware that they'll do what they have to do. Those guys aren't out making traffic stops though. This guy also has that look in his eyes that he's burned out, big time, lol.

Weak 9mm

imported post

That is why many people suggesting with an officers questioning, because it's much easier to comply with the officers requests.
Huh?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Now there's a connunndr...a cumdru...a dilemma.
:lol:

As I read the article I got to this part: "The 18-year-old victim, Megan Wenzinger, said she was sitting at a stop light at about 11 a.m." and thought, "Well THERE'S your problem."

ghostrider

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
That is why many people suggesting with an officers questioning, because it's much easier to comply with the officers requests.
Huh?
Sorry, that didn't make much sense.

I was talking about how a lot of people suggest that one should "go along with" and comply with an officers questioning, and a general submissive attitude.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Can you imagine thinking he was an LEO because "the way the man presented himself made you believe he could be an officer?" Those were apparently the victim's exact words.
Then again, she's probably the type that's not afraid to ask a frat-boy pot-dealer if he's a cop when she's buying a dime-bag, 'cause she really believes that particular myth; "If I ask you if you're an undercover cop, you gotta tell me!" :quirky

chrsjhnsn

imported post

I've been surprised at how well NYPD blends in undercover, in one particular bar I used to frequent two showed up to make undercover drug buys.
I warned my female friends to guard their purses and told the bartender they were up to no good!
They were so good the resident drug dealer didn't trust them either (he pointed them out to me as unsavory)
They ended up busting a street dealer a 1/2 hour later.