Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you honor "Off Limits" signs?

Post imported post

I carry everywhere , posted or not. I ignore all off limits signs ( then I CC of course) and the only place I respect (sort of) is the post office, since I think it may be a felony, other than that I carry 100% of the time and never leave my sidearm in the car.

I'm not under man's law on this one, I'm under God's law and I'm responsible for the lives of my wife and kids and those innocent people that are around me at any given tme...period.

I'm not bound to honor any man that will not allow me to defend myself...period. I'd rather be arrested then be like that lady in Killeen Texas, could you imagine her remorse for obeying the "law"...sad, very sad, the blood of many innocent people almost on her hands.

How about you?

Do you ever leave it in the car?

When and why?

Post imported post

I tend to not look for signs banning carry. Plausible deniability is an awesome thing.

47 wrote:
    Snip
    I'd rather be arrested then be like that lady in Killeen Texas, could you imagine her remorse for obeying the "law"...sad, very sad, the blood of many innocent people almost on her hands.
    The blood is absolutely NOT on her hands! It's on the hands of former governor Ann Richards (may she forever burn in hell) who vetoed the Texas concealed carry law.

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    I carry everywhere , posted or not. I ignore all off limits signs ( then I CC of course) and the only place I respect (sort of) is the post office, since I think it may be a felony, other than that I carry 100% of the time and never leave my sidearm in the car.

I'm not under man's law on this one, I'm under God's law and I'm responsible for the lives of my wife and kids and those innocent people that are around me at any given tme...period.

I'm not bound to honor any man that will not allow me to defend myself...period. I'd rather be arrested then be like that lady in Killeen Texas, could you imagine her remorse for obeying the "law"...sad, very sad, the blood of many innocent people almost on her hands.

How about you?

Do you ever leave it in the car?

When and why?
    This is my thoughts exemplified:

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/169

Carry your gun...

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    +1

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    I carry everywhere , posted or not. I ignore all off limits signs ( then I CC of course) and the only place I respect (sort of) is the post office, since I think it may be a felony
    Uh, you need to do some research onpost office carry. A felony it is not.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I carried concealed in SC, the only lawful carry. I carried in POs, a lawfull activity by my reading of the USC. I ignored businesses' signs when I couldn't conveniently avoid doing business with them.

GrassRoots SC had legislation passed making lawful signs extremely burdensome on the business, ensuring they aren't recklessly (without reckoning the consequences) placed. Without 'doors', like a warehouse, the signs must be three-feet by four-feet (SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements).

SC requires explicit permission of a homeowner for armed entry and I was ostentaciously polite (read 'loud') in announcing that I was armed and requesting to enter.

For one neighbor, an old retired Colonel, I would disarm as a mark of my respect for him, putting my piece under my hat on entry. He understood that his guests enjoyed his personal protection while under his roof just as my guests do under my roof.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I also generally ignore "anti-gun" signs on businesses since they have no power in law and CC there. If I am discovered, they can only ask me to leave. For me and the area in which I live, there are only a few places I patronize that have any such signs, so (two as I recall), so it really doesn't pose a problem in the logistics of it all.

However, it is a problem when viewed in the reasoning for it since both of the places I have seen the signs are ripe for criminal activity. And one of those places has an on-going problem with crime anyway. The two places are a close Wachovia bank and the Manassas Mall shopping center. When I go to Manassas Mall it is usually for one of the "satellite" stores such as Sears or Macy's and I OC in both of them with no problems. If I must enter the general mall, I cover up to CC because entries into that area are posted.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Activist Member

Post imported post

For privately owned buildings I never notice any signs if they are there. If they ask me to leave I will respect there wishes so as not to trespass. In NV that's all that is asked of me. Now, for federal buildings or places that are strictly off limits by law I would not try to carry into them.

Banned

Post imported post

They don't mean anything here in PA, so no.

Not that I've ever encountered one, of course.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I carried concealed in SC, the only lawful carry. I carried in POs, a lawfull activity by my reading of the USC. I ignored businesses' signs when I couldn't conveniently avoid doing business with them.

GrassRoots SC had legislation passed making lawful signs extremely burdensome on the business, ensuring they aren't recklessly (without reckoning the consequences) placed. Without 'doors', like a warehouse, the signs must be three-feet by four-feet (SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements).

SC requires explicit permission of a homeowner for armed entry and I was ostentaciously polite (read 'loud') in announcing that I was armed and requesting to enter.

For one neighbor, an old retired Colonel, I would disarm as a mark of my respect for him, putting my piece under my hat on entry. He understood that his guests enjoyed his personal protection while under his roof just as my guests do under my roof.
    Sounds like as far as you are concerned GrassRoots SC wasted their time getting that legislation passed since there isn't a need to follow it. You say thatthey made it as hard as possible to put up lawful signs and then youignore them. Instead of wasting their time getting worthless sign legislation passed maybe they should have worked harder on reciprocity.

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    I carry everywhere , posted or not. I ignore all off limits signs ( then I CC of course) and the only place I respect (sort of) is the post office
    How about schools? Carrying in K-12 schools is illegal in Idaho. Courthouses, too.

Personally, I carry everywhere I can carry lawfully. "No guns" signs have no legal force in Utah so I ignore them, except that I (usually) conceal. Posted churches and residences are off-limits, so I don't carry there. National Parks are illegal -- for now -- so i don't carry there.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    Sounds like as far as you are concerned GrassRoots SC wasted their time getting that legislation passed since there isn't a need to follow it. You say thatthey made it as hard as possible to put up lawful signs and then youignore them. Instead of wasting their time getting worthless sign legislation passed maybe they should have worked harder on reciprocity.
    Please don't hear ( "sounds like") what I did not write and do not attribute your twisted conclusion to me.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    PT111 wrote:
    Please don't hear ( "sounds like") what I did not write and do not attribute your twisted conclusion to me.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******
    quoted wrong one... deleted

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    47 wrote:
    I carry everywhere , posted or not. I ignore all off limits signs ( then I CC of course) and the only place I respect (sort of) is the post office
    How about schools? Carrying in K-12 schools is illegal in Idaho. Courthouses, too.

Personally, I carry everywhere I can carry lawfully. "No guns" signs have no legal force in Utah so I ignore them, except that I (usually) conceal. Posted churches and residences are off-limits, so I don't carry there. National Parks are illegal -- for now -- so i don't carry there.
    You cannot defend yourself in court if you are dead. End of story.

Think about the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    swillden wrote:
    47 wrote:

Thanks for answering the question, how insane is it that even gun folks will not carry anywhere, like schools. If you're DEAD then you suck right? I correct my answer, only federal building (I try to stay out of those of course!) and courts, but other then that I go EVERYWHERE, even PRIVATE residences (I CC there, its NONE of thier business, ITS MY LIFE, and thier HOUSE is lesser than my LIFE).

End of story, thanks

Banned

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    swillden wrote:
    47 wrote:

Thanks for answering the question, how insane is it that even gun folks will not carry anywhere, like schools. If you're DEAD then you suck right? I correct my answer, only federal building (I try to stay out of those of course!) and courts, but other then that I go EVERYWHERE, even PRIVATE residences (I CC there, its NONE of thier business, ITS MY LIFE, and thier HOUSE is lesser than my LIFE).

End of story, thanks
    Yes, but their rights on their property trump what rights you think you have on their property to some degree.

If you, personally, for whatever reason, were in my home with a gun, you'd be going right back out. You seem very unstable to me.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

After evaluating the risks, I make 2 exceptions.

The first is work. I think the chances of your standard mugger are low, but there is a chance of a massacre happening where I work, and it even is a slightly higher possibility than most workplaces as it is a prominent organization despised by many. However the chances of being fired are nearly 100% even with the best concealment. We have armed security trained to spot CCWs and upon sight they will forcibly remove a person from the premises immediately. But other than that, the job is good. Yes I can't feed my family if I'm dead, but I also can't feed them if I'm unemployed, and it's pretty hard to find an IT job where you can CC without issue.

The second is Schools. I spend very little time in them, and for the few short minutes I'd rather take the very minute risk of being there during a massachre, than face the much more likely outcome of being pegged with a felony.

These are all my personal decisions, but I do support anyone who's decision is to carry everywhere. Of course I also support the rights of private property holders to make you leave if they do not like it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    ITS MY LIFE, and thier HOUSE is lesser than my LIFE
    Then you should make the decision not to come into their house, not to violate their property rights and come in armed against their will.

Post imported post

even PRIVATE residences (I CC there, its NONE of thier business, ITS MY LIFE, and thier HOUSE is lesser than my LIFE).
    And people wonder why the antis feel the way they do. With an attitude like this I don't care whether you have a gun or not you are never welcome in my home or on my property. You are the exception rather than the rule butan attitudelike that can do more damage to pro-gun rights than anything Hillary Clinton can ever do.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It totally depends on the laws in your state. Here, OC of a handgun is illegal, so carry is always concealed with a CHL.

Given that, there are actually very few places you can't legally take a gun:

• Businesses with a conformant 30.06 sign

• Government buildings

• Professional/collegiate/interscholastic sporting events

• Bars (establishments making more than 51% of revenue from alcohol sales for on-premises consumption)

• School buildings (grounds are OK as the land is not defined as "premises")

• Church buildings(and equivalents)

So basically, going through your daily routine the only thing you really have to watch for is a valid 30.06 sign, and they're hard to miss. The specifications are quite clear; 1-inch text, contrasting colors, very specific wording in both English and Spanish, posted prominently. Gunbusters or "No Firearms Allowed"means absolutely nothing if you're legally carrying.

Post imported post

I don't know, I kind of like doing the unload/store in trunk shuffle in public. It makes people more nervous than just carrying the damned thing, so if that's how they want it, fine.I will say "I told you so" when they get robbed and I might have been in a position to do something about it, though.

-ljp

Post imported post

47 wrote:
    First, CC in a private residence in Idaho is not illegal, even if the property owner puts up a "No guns" sign. Utah is different in that respect.

Regarding schools and other places where it's illegal to carry, I guess you must have fewer responsibilities than I do. Carrying in a K-12 school in Idaho might net me a year in prison, making it impossible for me to support my family for that year, and more difficult thereafter. Getting killed in a school is far too unlikely for me to risk that. I'll also note that getting killed would not prevent me from fulfilling the financial portion of my duties to my family.

In Utah, of course, it's perfectly legal for me to carry in a school, and I do. I even OC.

BTW, the penalties for carrying in a federal facility (other than a court) and an Idaho K-12 school are identical. So why would you honor one law and not the other?

Banned

Post imported post

I'm guessing he has no need to go to a K-12 school, which is why he didn't mention it.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Yes I can't feed my family if I'm dead
    What, no life insurance?

I have always made sure I have enough insurance to pay off all the debts, and provide enough extra that my family could live for several years without any other income. If they were careful, it should be enough to last until the kids are on their own. Long-term, my wife would have to get a job, but she'd have the flexibility to go back to school if she needed to (she already has a BS), and she wouldn't have to worry about getting enough income to make a house payment.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    asforme wrote:
    Yes I can't feed my family if I'm dead
    What, no life insurance?

I have always made sure I have enough insurance to pay off all the debts, and provide enough extra that my family could live for several years without any other income. If they were careful, it should be enough to last until the kids are on their own. Long-term, my wife would have to get a job, but she'd have the flexibility to go back to school if she needed to (she already has a BS), and she wouldn't have to worry about getting enough income to make a house payment.
    Actually I forgot about that. It's one of the perks of my job that is new to me. We're not as set up as you are, but there is a safety net. So... I guess now I'm even more justified not carrying at work and risking being fired? Not that I'd say dieing is worse than unemployment, but the chances of dieing are much less than the chances of getting fired if I carry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast