• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you honor "Off Limits" signs?

Legba

imported post

I don't know, I kind of like doing the unload/store in trunk shuffle in public. It makes people more nervous than just carrying the damned thing, so if that's how they want it, fine.I will say "I told you so" when they get robbed and I might have been in a position to do something about it, though.

-ljp

swillden

imported post

47 wrote:
Thanks for answering the question, how insane is it that even gun folks will not carry anywhere, like schools. If you're DEAD then you suck right? I correct my answer, only federal building (I try to stay out of those of course!) and courts, but other then that I go EVERYWHERE, even PRIVATE residences (I CC there, its NONE of thier business, ITS MY LIFE, and thier HOUSE is lesser than my LIFE).
First, CC in a private residence in Idaho is not illegal, even if the property owner puts up a "No guns" sign. Utah is different in that respect.

Regarding schools and other places where it's illegal to carry, I guess you must have fewer responsibilities than I do. Carrying in a K-12 school in Idaho might net me a year in prison, making it impossible for me to support my family for that year, and more difficult thereafter. Getting killed in a school is far too unlikely for me to risk that. I'll also note that getting killed would not prevent me from fulfilling the financial portion of my duties to my family.

In Utah, of course, it's perfectly legal for me to carry in a school, and I do. I even OC.

BTW, the penalties for carrying in a federal facility (other than a court) and an Idaho K-12 school are identical. So why would you honor one law and not the other?

swillden

imported post

asforme wrote:
Yes I can't feed my family if I'm dead
What, no life insurance?

I have always made sure I have enough insurance to pay off all the debts, and provide enough extra that my family could live for several years without any other income. If they were careful, it should be enough to last until the kids are on their own. Long-term, my wife would have to get a job, but she'd have the flexibility to go back to school if she needed to (she already has a BS), and she wouldn't have to worry about getting enough income to make a house payment.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
asforme wrote:
What, no life insurance?

I have always made sure I have enough insurance to pay off all the debts, and provide enough extra that my family could live for several years without any other income. If they were careful, it should be enough to last until the kids are on their own. Long-term, my wife would have to get a job, but she'd have the flexibility to go back to school if she needed to (she already has a BS), and she wouldn't have to worry about getting enough income to make a house payment.
Actually I forgot about that. It's one of the perks of my job that is new to me. We're not as set up as you are, but there is a safety net. So... I guess now I'm even more justified not carrying at work and risking being fired? Not that I'd say dieing is worse than unemployment, but the chances of dieing are much less than the chances of getting fired if I carry.

swillden

imported post

asforme wrote:
swillden wrote:
asforme wrote:
What, no life insurance?
Actually I forgot about that. It's one of the perks of my job that is new to me. We're not as set up as you are, but there is a safety net. So... I guess now I'm even more justified not carrying at work and risking being fired? Not that I'd say dieing is worse than unemployment, but the chances of dieing are much less than the chances of getting fired if I carry.
It's absolutely part of my thought process when deciding where to carry and where not to. There are a lot of responsibilities that mere money won't fulfill, of course, but as you obviously realize keeping a roof over their heads, food on the table and clothes on their back is a huge one.

BTW, it's worth sitting down and figuring out just how much life insurance you really need, then looking into a cheap term life policy for the gap. A 15-year term policy is pretty cheap for a young guy in good health. Odds are that for $20 a month or so you could ensure that your family is taken care of.

Everyone should keep in mind that while carrying a firearm for self-defense is a good idea, it's MUCH more likely that you'll die in an event where a gun is useless. Preparedness is a multi-faceted issue.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, I generally honor "off limits" signs even though ignoring them is not a criminal act in MO (excepting certain federal buildings and school situations). I have to CC in my town so I could carry anyway, but I generally respect private business signage and choose not to do business there. Fortunately there are few posted here. There is one store in town that is posted that carries certain items I cannot get elsewhere within 100 miles. As I used to work for them and they treated me shabbily and the ownership has done certain things to cause me to lose all respect for them, I ignore their signage but only patronize their business for those few certain items.

The law is specific here as well as to the size of the sign and lettering. If it is posted inappropriately, as it was in a certain city's museums I visited last weekend, I feel absolutely justified in ignoring it as they are choosing to ignore the posting requirements as set out in the statutes.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I honor no guns signs, but for a different reason than most.

No... I am NOT going to stow the weapon and go in unarmed (with some exceptions... IE School Grounds). Instead I take a no-guns sign as a sign that MY MONEY IS NOT WELCOME. In which case, they are not getting any of it.

tracylaud83

imported post

"I know a guy"

who is FLEO, and yes, he carries everywhere but Fed Court / Prisons and Militery Bases.

Schools YES

Post Office YES

Ignores any signs, but here in Florida, always CC

PT111

imported post

One thing to keep in mind that although it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six if you ignore the posted signs and requests especially on private property the castle doctrine does not apply. One of the directives of the CD is that you must not be breaking any laws so be careful in more ways than one.

You must be at a place you have a right to be

You must not be breaking any laws

You must be without fault in initiating the confrontation

Decoligny

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I carried in POs, a lawfull activity by my reading of the USC.
This is a common misconception. "Lawful Activity" is covered in a Federal Facility, not the Post Office. Most people think thatU.S. Code Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 Section 930, which deals with "Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal Facilities" applies to Post Offices. It does not.

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 39, Chapter 1, Section 232.1(l) is actually the federal regulation when it comes to Post Office Property.

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property,except for official purposes.

In this case, "official purposes" means only those people who are required to carry a weapon in an official capacity, i.e. Police Officers, Postal Inspectors, Federal Agents, etc.

HOWEVER, while it is a Federal Offense, it is not a Felony.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

FiremanJoe

imported post

Sign? What Sign????

(bites tounge)

with that said.....

Outdoors- OC as normal, be relaxxed..

If I am going into a establishment that has lots of kids then I perfer to be friendly and conceal as a matter of resepct for others, unless gas station or where I am in out. (you need to use common sense is this a place where someone is going to scream OMG he has a gun and call 911) (or like Wal-Mart we all know they allow ccw but frown on OC)

Option 1- I'll shop elsewhwere while (oc), but , (I sure do miss the UDF malts tho)

Option 2- if sign wasnt conspicuoiusly placed go ccw, and cover up

Option 3- or prominent signage but must shop but in freaky area- Concealed means concealed, cover up

Option 4-Lock it up and go in, (usuallly for me would be barI work, or goverment bldg, or work (a financial investment firm).

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FiremanJoe wrote:
(or like Wal-Mart we all know they allow ccw but frown on OC)
I OC in Wal-Mart 2-3 times per week. Never an issue. If there's a problem with your Wal-Mart call cooperate. They follow state law.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Aran wrote:
asforme wrote:
FiremanJoe wrote:
(or like Wal-Mart we all know they allow ccw but frown on OC)
I OC in Wal-Mart 2-3 times per week. Never an issue. If there's a problem with your Wal-Mart call cooperate. They follow state law.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sure they do.
Aran brings up a good point. I've talked to several different Walmart managers from the same area, and non of them seemed to agree on what their policy was. some said state law, some said you must have a badge or a permit, and some said no guns at all. I don't think Walmart enforces their policies very well.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I've had the police called on me twice at my local WalMart, had their loss prevention guy accost my fiancee once over my holster exposing from under my jacket, and confronted in a friendly but firm manner once in the last few days by a higher-up manager.

I've complained to corporate several times, dropped of one of Pa. Patriot's PA Gun Rights flyers with the day manager, spoken with a shift manager, and still get bothered.

Then again, I've had a cheerful chat with one of their assistant managers who proudly told me he was a line-toeing Democrat, doesn't like guns, but that he had ZERO issue with me or anyone else carrying, so long as we follow the law, when I was in buying a Ruger 10/22 a while back. (Actually, he invited me to come say hi any time I'm in shopping during his shifts, just come right back to the Employee's Only section and ask for him, if I was ever just wandering to kill time. Real nice guy.)

Even within one store there's no strict policy.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I only obey the no weapon signs in the hospital I take my kid to, federal buildings, court buildings, under 21 restricted areas, school zones, and post offices. Everything else, I have to get caught having a gun to be guilty.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I have an exemption as a Corrections Officer but you betcha I turn my badge inward except on duty.

I OC'd all around Wally World the last week and because of heat I OC almost every where else. Today was no exception and even had lunch with an ex Sheriff, a fellow gunner as is the present Sheriff.

I had to be sedated at a local hospital recently and had security check in my weapon until I awoke. The next day, in for more tests,a nurse asked me to remove it for chest x rays (??). No problem there.Showed at bottom of rib cage I reckon.:D

The point: I carry every where except inside the jail. Signs or not. Have surprised a couple of doctors too. I literally said I can go to another doc or they can examine me. Gue$$ what? Ju$t Gue$$ what they did?:lol:

Kythas

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
It totally depends on the laws in your state. Here, OC of a handgun is illegal, so carry is always concealed with a CHL.

Given that, there are actually very few places you can't legally take a gun:

• Businesses with a conformant 30.06 sign

• Government buildings

• Professional/collegiate/interscholastic sporting events

• Bars (establishments making more than 51% of revenue from alcohol sales for on-premises consumption)

• School buildings (grounds are OK as the land is not defined as "premises")

• Church buildings (and equivalents)
So basically, going through your daily routine the only thing you really have to watch for is a valid 30.06 sign, and they're hard to miss. The specifications are quite clear; 1-inch text, contrasting colors, very specific wording in both English and Spanish, posted prominently. Gunbusters or "No Firearms Allowed"means absolutely nothing if you're legally carrying.
Liko,

Churches are OK to carry as long as they're not 30.06 posted. The only one I'm aware of that is posted is Fellowship Church in Grapevine.

nh92d

imported post

since i've been carrying(approx 3yrs now) and of all the places i've been,i've only seen one sign saying no guns allowed..that was the post office.

only places off limits(by state law)are any buildings used by the courts.of course there's those sketchy federal laws to about schools and the post offices..no need to enter federal building so i'm not even worried about them..