• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry on your "gun belt"?

imported post

For OC or CC here is my list:

Note, you'll see NO cell phones or other gadgets that are worthless here since there will plenty of time for 911 afterwards, and cell phones mistaken for spare magazines do not fit in my magazine well at all.

1. Glock 21 or 38
2. Two spare full capacity magazines
3. Folder knife and seatbelt cutter
3. Small surefire fashlight (no where near my spare mags)
5. Small pouch w/ rubber gloves
4. Handcuffs (in a pants pocket out of view)

Why the handcuffs? Three reasons, one, it shows that my intent was not ony to "incapacitate" (never kill, of course) but to stop and take custody of an assailant (citizens arrest), Two, it's legal and I 'can' and third, they actually have many uses with my kids from time to time....hahhahaaha

Anyway, my pont is to show you all that only 'tools' need be on your belt, no toys, gadgets, palm pilots and all that bullcrap. It will only get you killed the one time in your life you need a spare mag, flashlight or other tool you'll reach for something else.

I carry gloves since I feel morally obligated to help ithers and dont want to touch thier blood (car accident, et cetera) and I also feel obligated to help someone I may have just been forced to shoot (once the scene is clear of other BG's and the assailant is handcuffed, and 911 is called, then they get medical help).

BTW, that brings me to another forum question, do YOU have a PLAN as to what you'll do after condition red and black (post shooting SOP)?

Anyway, just some advice and questiond from someone who has OC'd and CC'd for almost 20 years. I'll tell a real life story maybe sometime as well.

Later

Stealth Potato

imported post

Right hip: Kimber 1911 (8+1 .45ACP) in a Blackhawk Serpa
Left hip: Cell phone ;)

That's it. I generally don't carry spare mags, unless I'm also carrying a backpack or bag of some sort. I figure if I can't solve a problem with 9 rounds of .45ACP, I probably can't solve it at all.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I carry a Glock 19 with a surefire X200-A on it
2 extra mags.
and my cell phone.

The rest is in my pockets. Why? Because I am a citizen not a wanna-be fuckin' mall ninja.

in my pockets I carry:

a CPR micro-shield and nitril gloves
a flashlight
something to start a fire with
2 folding knives
wallet/keys/spare change.

I also have a first-aid kit in the backpack I always carry.

--

As for your "after the fight" question:

Yes, I train for this twice a week. I probably activly train for more weird shit than most people on this board.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

My S&W with its loaded chamber full of 7 .357s on the belt.

Many times a flashlight, especially if its night or I could be in dark places. Usually it would be in a pocket but if I bring my Inova instead of my cheapo-depot flashlight I put it on the belt so my car keys don't scrape against it.

In my pocket I typically have a cell-phone but its more for if my car breaks down so I can get a ride than anything else.It's also useful to tell the time in case I forgot ordecided not to bring a watch.I also have ear-plugs many times in my pockets, but its not there for shooting, its in case I am subjected to loud noises (such as may be found at concerts or near many motorized devices.) I really value my hearing and I don't understand people who don't wear the proper hearing protection for a wide variety of things in daily life or those people who listen to music too loud.

Generally, a pocket knife in a pocketwhich meets the criteria for being legal to carry without being considered a "concealed weapon." I have quite a few and some have some good tools them like screw drivers and can openers, but some just have a blade, sometimes a rather dull, cheap, well-used and abusedblade and sometimes a pretty decent one. It's mainly a tool if I have it. As for being a weapon, I'm not trained in knife combat but my theory is that if I were in hand to hand combat, anything sharper than my pinky or harder than my my hand is a better weapon than bare hands. Also, my most often worn shoes have steel toes, which may be useful.

My wallet has matches in it.

--

I leave my seat-belt cutter (and a few other tools)in my car. I don't see why I'dwant it on my person. On anyoccasions where I might have a backpack for somereasonI have a few other tools (such as duct tape and a small tool kit). And yes I have plans for quite a few scenarios, but I keep things simple and don't want to carry around every gadget known to man on my belt, half of them I wouldn't know how to use properly anyway.

unreconstructed1

imported post

well, as I don't have a permit yet, I can't carry my pistol, but I have a holster with a spare magazine case attached and 2 spare magazine pouches for it , for when I finally do get my HCP. but as it is right now, on my belt I normally carry a multi tool, a zippo lighter holder ( I have a nice zippo tat I don't want scratched up real bad) and a knife. in my pocket I carry another folding knife, a swiss army knife, and various odds and ends.

danbus

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Right hip: Kimber 1911 (8+1 .45ACP) in a Blackhawk Serpa
Left hip: Cell phone ;)

That's it. I generally don't carry spare mags, unless I'm also carrying a backpack or bag of some sort. I figure if I can't solve a problem with 9 rounds of .45ACP, I probably can't solve it at all.
Unless it's 10 zombies. :p

Aran

Banned
imported post

From now on I'm going to carry my cell phone and PDA on my belt, as well as fashion a holster for my Nintendo DS, just out of spite of this thread.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Aran wrote:
From now on I'm going to carry my cell phone and PDA on my belt, as well as fashion a holster for my Nintendo DS, just out of spite of this thread.
Aran, I think you may also be able to find a holster for your flashdrive and digital camera.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Aran wrote:
Aran, I think you may also be able to find a holster for your flashdrive and digital camera.
Actually, the camera bag I use for my Rebel XTi already has a belt loop on the back :D

imported post

badmonkey wrote:
You carry almost as much on your belt as I do on my duty belt....
Maybe so, but I bet you a 100 bucks you dont carry a .308 MBR (Main Battle Rifle, for those unschooled) in your patrol car do you?

I normally have either a FAL or M1A by my side. You probably have a mini mouse AR eh?:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

SpringerXDacp

imported post

47 wrote:
badmonkey wrote:
Maybe so, but I bet you a 100 bucks you dont carry a .308 MBR (Main Battle Rifle, for those unschooled) in your patrol car do you?

I normally have either a FAL or M1A by my side. You probably have a mini mouse AR eh?:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Good Lord....

Aran

Banned
imported post

47 wrote:
badmonkey wrote:

Go away. Thanks. Bye.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

47 wrote:
Anyway, my pont is to show you all that only 'tools' need be on your belt, no toys, gadgets, palm pilots and all that bullcrap. It will only get you killed the one time in your life you need a spare mag, flashlight or other tool you'll reach for something else.
If this is a problem for you I'd suggest practicing speed reloads more often. Reloading should be a matter of muscle memory, not fumbling for the first thing you find on your belt. I wear everything on my belt the same exact way every day, and when I practice dryfiring and reloading mags at home, it's always the same.

By this logic what's to prevent you from shoving your knife or flash light into your gun? There's nothing wrong with a cell phone, pda or whatever being next to your mags as long as the location of your mags is consistent every day and you burn their location into muscle memory.

I will add a disclaimer, I am not a professional in any of this, I have no formal training, and I do not know any statistics or studies if this has ever been an issue for say law enforcement. But it just makes sense, if you can train yourself not to load your flashlight, you can train yourself not to load your cell phone.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry my pistol and cell phone on my strong side, cell phone in front where it will not interfere with any draw. On my weak side I carry a spare mag. That's it. I keep a decently powerful LED light in my car and briefcase as I typically have one or both with me. Pocketknife is in my, well, pocket. There will never be any chance of mixing up my cell phone and extra mag as the ONLY thing I carry weakside is the mag.

curtm1911

imported post

Strong Side: Springfield Champion G.I. in Blackhawk Serpa

Weak Side: Two Pocket Mag Pouch x 2

Pockets: Keys, Wallet, Knife, BUG, Cell Phone, other things that can come in handy at times