Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Pancake holster for OC

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    I've been trying to find a good OC holster for my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rail, not an easy task.

    I found that the cheap Uncle Mikes sidekicks in size 15 do hold the gun, but after using mine for a while, the gun seated itself so deeply that the front sight would go below the bottom of the holster and catch when I draw. I also didn't like the single belt loop it anchored on, seemed to make it flop around alot and made it feel quite heavy. So I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster in the same size. Seems to work better as the gun is not seated too deeply, and theres a seem where the front sight can ride up when I draw. The problem with it is that the cheap construction is starting to show. Some parts are fraying and as soon as the weapon is out it immediately collapses and I cannot reholster without some work. However it was good enough to show me that I really like the way a pancake holster feels and holds close to my body. I also like that I can go OC to CC with light cover. Even though I have a comp-tac minitaur spartin for CC, it's nice to be able to switch quickly if there is an unexpected reason to need to conceal.

    The only holsters I have tried so far have been nylon and the kydex hybrid. But now I'm looking at a good leather pancake holster. It seems that the only people who make one for my gun is DeSantis. Does anyone know if they make quality holsters?

    Also I am trying to decide between the Speed Scabbard and the Thumb Break Scabbard. My uncle mikes pancake is a thumb break, and while I don't particularily like drawing with a thumb break, I suppose with enough practice I will get proficient at it. I really wanted the Bianchi automatic retention pancake holster, but I emailed them and they don't have one for my gun. What is the concensus, is active retention a must for OC? I have always been of the opinion that it is, but I've also never heard of an actual case of a gun grab.

    Anyway, here are the two products I'm looking at:
    Speed Scabbard
    Thumb Break Scabbard

    Also if anyone else knows of any good pancake holsters that would fit my gun I'm very open to recommendations.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    I've been trying to find a good OC holster for my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rail, not an easy task.

    I found that the cheap Uncle Mikes sidekicks in size 15 do hold the gun, but after using mine for a while, the gun seated itself so deeply that the front sight would go below the bottom of the holster and catch when I draw. I also didn't like the single belt loop it anchored on, seemed to make it flop around alot and made it feel quite heavy. So I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster in the same size. Seems to work better as the gun is not seated too deeply, and theres a seem where the front sight can ride up when I draw. The problem with it is that the cheap construction is starting to show. Some parts are fraying and as soon as the weapon is out it immediately collapses and I cannot reholster without some work. However it was good enough to show me that I really like the way a pancake holster feels and holds close to my body. I also like that I can go OC to CC with light cover. Even though I have a comp-tac minitaur spartin for CC, it's nice to be able to switch quickly if there is an unexpected reason to need to conceal.

    The only holsters I have tried so far have been nylon and the kydex hybrid. But now I'm looking at a good leather pancake holster. It seems that the only people who make one for my gun is DeSantis. Does anyone know if they make quality holsters?

    Also I am trying to decide between the Speed Scabbard and the Thumb Break Scabbard. My uncle mikes pancake is a thumb break, and while I don't particularily like drawing with a thumb break, I suppose with enough practice I will get proficient at it. I really wanted the Bianchi automatic retention pancake holster, but I emailed them and they don't have one for my gun. What is the concensus, is active retention a must for OC? I have always been of the opinion that it is, but I've also never heard of an actual case of a gun grab.

    Anyway, here are the two products I'm looking at:
    Speed Scabbard
    Thumb Break Scabbard

    Also if anyone else knows of any good pancake holsters that would fit my gun I'm very open to recommendations.
    http://www.blade-tech.com/SRB-Sting-...ed-pr-939.html

    that took all of like 10 seconds googling. I don't know about pancake holster because I think they look silly, but this is a great holster.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    I've been trying to find a good OC holster for my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rail, not an easy task.

    I found that the cheap Uncle Mikes sidekicks in size 15 do hold the gun, but after using mine for a while, the gun seated itself so deeply that the front sight would go below the bottom of the holster and catch when I draw. I also didn't like the single belt loop it anchored on, seemed to make it flop around alot and made it feel quite heavy. So I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster in the same size. Seems to work better as the gun is not seated too deeply, and theres a seem where the front sight can ride up when I draw. The problem with it is that the cheap construction is starting to show. Some parts are fraying and as soon as the weapon is out it immediately collapses and I cannot reholster without some work. However it was good enough to show me that I really like the way a pancake holster feels and holds close to my body. I also like that I can go OC to CC with light cover. Even though I have a comp-tac minitaur spartin for CC, it's nice to be able to switch quickly if there is an unexpected reason to need to conceal.

    The only holsters I have tried so far have been nylon and the kydex hybrid. But now I'm looking at a good leather pancake holster. It seems that the only people who make one for my gun is DeSantis. Does anyone know if they make quality holsters?

    Also I am trying to decide between the Speed Scabbard and the Thumb Break Scabbard. My uncle mikes pancake is a thumb break, and while I don't particularily like drawing with a thumb break, I suppose with enough practice I will get proficient at it. I really wanted the Bianchi automatic retention pancake holster, but I emailed them and they don't have one for my gun. What is the concensus, is active retention a must for OC? I have always been of the opinion that it is, but I've also never heard of an actual case of a gun grab.

    Anyway, here are the two products I'm looking at:
    Speed Scabbard
    Thumb Break Scabbard

    Also if anyone else knows of any good pancake holsters that would fit my gun I'm very open to recommendations.
    I ordered this 5 weeks ago for my 21SF with Pic Rail...still no show.

    http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holst...p-pr-1028.html

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    I ordered this 5 weeks ago for my 21SF with Pic Rail...still no show.

    http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holst...p-pr-1028.html
    At $103 I'd be pissed.

    I'm seriously looking into one of those simply rugged holsters. I may need to call first though and make sure he'll make one for my gun, since the gun selection is just a text box. So what do you think, is the thumb strap necessary for OCing in a leather pancake with FBI cant?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    I ordered this 5 weeks ago for my 21SF with Pic Rail...still no show.

    http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holst...p-pr-1028.html
    At $103 I'd be pissed.

    I'm seriously looking into one of those simply rugged holsters. I may need to call first though and make sure he'll make one for my gun, since the gun selection is just a text box. So what do you think, is the thumb strap necessary for OCing in a leather pancake with FBI cant?
    IMHO, yes. Holsters such as the Kydex/injection moldedtype with passive retention just don't cut it.

    I had a leather pancake with thumb strap for my XD but it was not the FBI cant type. I ordered it from Blackhills Leather (Texas, I believe), it fit like a glove and took months to finally breakin. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

    http://www.bhlstore.com/



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    I ordered this 5 weeks ago for my 21SF with Pic Rail...still no show.

    http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holst...p-pr-1028.html
    At $103 I'd be pissed.

    I'm seriously looking into one of those simply rugged holsters. I may need to call first though and make sure he'll make one for my gun, since the gun selection is just a text box. So what do you think, is the thumb strap necessary for OCing in a leather pancake with FBI cant?
    Normally I'd say "yes" but I spoke w/ Rob at Simply Rugged about this among other things. He said that he'd add one if I wanted but that his pancake design covers further up the slide/frame than usual and therefore offers better retention. YMMV. Call him to talk it over before ordering, really nice guy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •