• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pancake holster for OC

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been trying to find a good OC holster for my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rail, not an easy task.

I found that the cheap Uncle Mikes sidekicks in size 15 do hold the gun, but after using mine for a while, the gun seated itself so deeply that the front sight would go below the bottom of the holster and catch when I draw. I also didn't like the single belt loop it anchored on, seemed to make it flop around alot and made it feel quite heavy. So I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster in the same size. Seems to work better as the gun is not seated too deeply, and theres a seem where the front sight can ride up when I draw. The problem with it is that the cheap construction is starting to show. Some parts are fraying and as soon as the weapon is out it immediately collapses and I cannot reholster without some work. However it was good enough to show me that I really like the way a pancake holster feels and holds close to my body. I also like that I can go OC to CC with light cover. Even though I have a comp-tac minitaur spartin for CC, it's nice to be able to switch quickly if there is an unexpected reason to need to conceal.

The only holsters I have tried so far have been nylon and the kydex hybrid. But now I'm looking at a good leather pancake holster. It seems that the only people who make one for my gun is DeSantis. Does anyone know if they make quality holsters?

Also I am trying to decide between the Speed Scabbard and the Thumb Break Scabbard. My uncle mikes pancake is a thumb break, and while I don't particularily like drawing with a thumb break, I suppose with enough practice I will get proficient at it. I really wanted the Bianchi automatic retention pancake holster, but I emailed them and they don't have one for my gun. What is the concensus, is active retention a must for OC? I have always been of the opinion that it is, but I've also never heard of an actual case of a gun grab.

Anyway, here are the two products I'm looking at:
Speed Scabbard
Thumb Break Scabbard

Also if anyone else knows of any good pancake holsters that would fit my gun I'm very open to recommendations.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

asforme wrote:
I've been trying to find a good OC holster for my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rail, not an easy task.

I found that the cheap Uncle Mikes sidekicks in size 15 do hold the gun, but after using mine for a while, the gun seated itself so deeply that the front sight would go below the bottom of the holster and catch when I draw. I also didn't like the single belt loop it anchored on, seemed to make it flop around alot and made it feel quite heavy. So I replaced it with an Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster in the same size. Seems to work better as the gun is not seated too deeply, and theres a seem where the front sight can ride up when I draw. The problem with it is that the cheap construction is starting to show. Some parts are fraying and as soon as the weapon is out it immediately collapses and I cannot reholster without some work. However it was good enough to show me that I really like the way a pancake holster feels and holds close to my body. I also like that I can go OC to CC with light cover. Even though I have a comp-tac minitaur spartin for CC, it's nice to be able to switch quickly if there is an unexpected reason to need to conceal.

The only holsters I have tried so far have been nylon and the kydex hybrid. But now I'm looking at a good leather pancake holster. It seems that the only people who make one for my gun is DeSantis. Does anyone know if they make quality holsters?

Also I am trying to decide between the Speed Scabbard and the Thumb Break Scabbard. My uncle mikes pancake is a thumb break, and while I don't particularily like drawing with a thumb break, I suppose with enough practice I will get proficient at it. I really wanted the Bianchi automatic retention pancake holster, but I emailed them and they don't have one for my gun. What is the concensus, is active retention a must for OC? I have always been of the opinion that it is, but I've also never heard of an actual case of a gun grab.

Speed Scabbard
Thumb Break Scabbard

Also if anyone else knows of any good pancake holsters that would fit my gun I'm very open to recommendations.
http://www.blade-tech.com/SRB-Sting-Ray-Belt-Holster-IDPA-Approved-pr-939.html

that took all of like 10 seconds googling. I don't know about pancake holster because I think they look silly, but this is a great holster.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

asforme wrote:

Speed Scabbard
Thumb Break Scabbard

I ordered this 5 weeks ago for my 21SF with Pic Rail...still no show. :cuss:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holster-Tech-Gear-Level-II-w-SR-Loop-pr-1028.html

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holster-Tech-Gear-Level-II-w-SR-Loop-pr-1028.html
At $103 I'd be pissed.

I'm seriously looking into one of those simply rugged holsters. I may need to call first though and make sure he'll make one for my gun, since the gun selection is just a text box. So what do you think, is the thumb strap necessary for OCing in a leather pancake with FBI cant?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

asforme wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

At $103 I'd be pissed.

I'm seriously looking into one of those simply rugged holsters. I may need to call first though and make sure he'll make one for my gun, since the gun selection is just a text box. So what do you think, is the thumb strap necessary for OCing in a leather pancake with FBI cant?

IMHO, yes. Holsters such as the Kydex/injection moldedtype with passive retention just don't cut it.

I had a leather pancake with thumb strap for my XD but it was not the FBI cant type. I ordered it from Blackhills Leather (Texas, I believe), it fit like a glove and took months to finally breakin. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

http://www.bhlstore.com/

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

asforme wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

At $103 I'd be pissed.

Normally I'd say "yes" but I spoke w/ Rob at Simply Rugged about this among other things. He said that he'd add one if I wanted but that his pancake design covers further up the slide/frame than usual and therefore offers better retention. YMMV. Call him to talk it over before ordering, really nice guy.