• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ladies who OC - how are you recieved?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
If I had another OCer to do it with, I would be doing it. I need a support system even if just 1 person.
Obviously you are going to have to cross the state line into Pa. or Va. or somewhere else that it is legal.

Did you check out the multi-state meet up in Leesburg 9/13 ?

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

asforme wrote:
My wife got her first reaction in walmart.

We walked past a black couple who were shopping. The man was HUGE, over 6'5" and at least 350lbs, his grilfriend was a skinny girl. My wife is 5'1" and slim. We walked passed them, he looked down at her gun and in a near yell exclaimed "DAMN!", like he was genuinely afraid of her. His girlfriend just stood there jaw dropped as far as it would go. We just kept on walking until we were out of earshot and could laugh.

Was it more like "DAMN" or more like "DAYUM".

'cause maybe, uh, he just thought she was attractive. :celebrate

XD40coyote

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
If I had another OCer to do it with, I would be doing it. I need a support system even if just 1 person.
Obviously you are going to have to cross the state line into Pa. or Va. or somewhere else that it is legal.

Yata hey
Yeah, this is in PA. I just got my FL carry lisc too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

Yata hey
IF you live in Pa., you need to update your personal info as it states that you are a "woman stuck in Maryland." That is why my comment on your needing to cross state lines.

If you reside in Pa., there ought to be multitudes of people that would be more that willing to accompany you on an outing or for a meal.

Gather yourself together with a friend and try it. The comment that I hea r most from the ladies after the first time OCing is, "It's liberating!"

Yata hey

XD40coyote

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

Yata hey
IF you live in Pa., you need to update your personal info as it states that you are a "woman stuck in Maryland." That is why my comment on your needing to cross state lines.

If you reside in Pa., there ought to be multitudes of people that would be more that willing to accompany you on an outing or for a meal.

Gather yourself together with a friend and try it. The comment that I hea r most from the ladies after the first time OCing is, "It's liberating!"

Yata hey
I live right on the border of MD and PA and do about everything in PA. I am probably the woman you are thinking about on the "liberating" part, I do believe I started a thread titled "OC is liberating" or something like that, a while back. I can't seem to find anyone really local whoI can OC with on a regular basis, would be great to find a woman to do it with, the men may be shy due to their wives or feeling they may come across as flirty, so therefore are not steppingup and saying to me " yeah, lets OC 3 times a week and sundays" in the areas I haunt.My biggest fear is police coming to a "woman with gun" call and then harrassing me and maybe going as far as taking my gun and charging me with disorderly. This is actually a phobia, but it comes from another phobia I already have had for years.I feel MUCH more secure if I have a strong willed clear headed person with me to handle the BS.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
I live right on the border of MD and PA and do about everything in PA. I am probably the woman you are thinking about on the "liberating" part, I do believe I started a thread titled "OC is liberating" or something like that, a while back. I can't seem to find anyone really local whoI can OC with on a regular basis, would be great to find a woman to do it with, the men may be shy due to their wives or feeling they may come across as flirty, so therefore are not steppingup and saying to me " yeah, lets OC 3 times a week and sundays" in the areas I haunt.My biggest fear is police coming to a "woman with gun" call and then harrassing me and maybe going as far as taking my gun and charging me with disorderly. This is actually a phobia, but it comes from another phobia I already have had for years.I feel MUCH more secure if I have a strong willed clear headed person with me to handle the BS.

1) Thank you for being a woman who isn't afraid of those "evil firearms".

2) Thank you for defending yourself and taking on the responsibility. As we know, many in our society won't do it.

3) Whether you CC or OC, CARRY! It sends the right message to those know and even those who don't by your confident, "I won't be a victim" demeanor.

4) Apparently OC has its risks even in great states like PA. The good news is that the law is on your side. We WISH we had, and are working very hard, just to get toyour situationhere in TX. :banghead:

5) I'd be surprised if one of our PA-based members doesn't step up to partner with you. While you are completely capable of doing it on your own, I can understand wanting some support. That's why the OC gatherings/meals are great. There is power in numbers.

Best wishes from TX! SA-TX

XD40coyote

imported post

Thank you SA-TX. I have been to 1 OC lunchand am going to an OC dinner on the 20th this month. So far I just haven't met anyone who lives or hangs outin the exact area I am in all the time, so I have to travel a little for the once in a while stuff. My fear of the cops being a phobia is real, I would likley have a huge panic attack or something, but strength in #'s and "peer pressure" is a boost. To me, being harrassed by the police is akin to reliving all the bullying I endured in school. It would first make me scared, then send me into a rage. Having someone strong with me would boost me up so I do not crumble. Strength in #'s.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote - Go for a walk in the park on the 13th in Leesburg, will be plenty of support their & you never know who'll you'll meet.

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Thank you SA-TX. I have been to 1 OC lunchand am going to an OC dinner on the 20th this month. So far I just haven't met anyone who lives or hangs outin the exact area I am in all the time, so I have to travel a little for the once in a while stuff. My fear of the cops being a phobia is real, I would likley have a huge panic attack or something, but strength in #'s and "peer pressure" is a boost. To me, being harrassed by the police is akin to reliving all the bullying I endured in school. It would first make me scared, then send me into a rage. Having someone strong with me would boost me up so I do not crumble. Strength in #'s.
Reading stories of how others have handled it, and developing scenarios in your mind then stepping through them, is good preparation for what might happen. It probably won't completely get through your phobia, but it will help you control it better.

I've been OC for a few years now, and (so far, knock on wood) have not had to face anything I hadn't already imagined. Burke Lake Park was probably the closest.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sneak wrote:
If I had my way, there'd be no laws requiring anyone to do anything.

-j
That's called anarchy - 1) "social structure without government or law and order" 2) "utter confusion." This is not a perfect world.

Yata hey

sneak

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
sneak wrote:
If I had my way, there'd be no laws requiring anyone to do anything.

-j
That's called anarchy - 1) "social structure without government or law and order" 2) "utter confusion."  This is not a perfect world.

Yata hey

I guess prohibitions are a kind of requirement - but saying I can't do something, and saying I have to do something are two different things.

Perhaps I didn't word it very well.

Prohibiting the infringement of the rights of others - good.

Compelling me (or anyone else) to do anything - bad. This includes CC or OC (if I don't want to), military service, paying taxes - any of it.

-jp

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sneak wrote:
I guess prohibitions are a kind of requirement - but saying I can't do something, and saying I have to do something are two different things.

Perhaps I didn't word it very well.

Prohibiting the infringement of the rights of others - good.

Compelling me (or anyone else) to do anything - bad. This includes CC or OC (if I don't want to), military service, paying taxes - any of it.

-j
Actually you did fine. What we are really about here is anything related to OC. We get off on tangets sometimes but try not to politicize too much. It is all about Rights isn't it?

Yata hey

sneak

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Actually you did fine.  What we are really about here is anything related to OC.  We get off on tangets sometimes but try not to politicize too much.  It is all about Rights isn't it?

I didn't mean to veer off, but it's a surefire way to get me to reply including any text along the lines of "there ought to be a law requiring...."

As advocates of gun rights, we should all keep in mind how we got into this circumstance where we have to actively and openly flex those rights just to keep them. There are a lot of other rights, too - not that this is the forum - but the "there ought to be a law" mindset is why CC is a privilege and not a right, and why OC legally becomes CC the moment you get into a car (which, in many places, is a required activity in day-to-day life, making OC impractical or impossible).

Also, on a personal level, it's the basis for why I had to move away from my favorite place in America (where all of my closest friends live) - even simple possession, much less carry, is completely impractical due to well-intentioned local lawmakers who don't sufficiently respect individual rights.

The only thing "there ought to be a law" against is thinking "there ought to be a law". Fortunately we already have that - it's called number ten.

If only it claimed preemption. :)

-jp

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sorry about the highjack - sneak and I have taken it to PM.

Now returning to your regularly schduled program - What is the reaction to you OCing ladies?

Second hand report - when my gf OCs when we go out to eat, I may get a :shock: from others but when they see her hip fashion accessory they :what: & :what: ! What is most notable though is that those that wish to talk (positive mostly) want to hear what she has to say. I'm just the guy with the gun that happens to be with the lady that OMG I can't believe it, is actually carrying a gun.

So ladies tell us more. You are exceedingly good for the movement. IMO - one female OCing is at least worth 2 or 3 men OCing. You probably see that with most things in life though - right? :D

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Now returning to your regularly schduled program - What is the reaction to you OCing ladies?

Second hand report - when my gf OCs when we go out to eat, I may get a :shock: from others but when they see her hip fashion accessory they :what: & :what: ! What is most notable though is that those that wish to talk (positive mostly) want to hear what she has to say. I'm just the guy with the gun that happens to be with the lady that OMG I can't believe it, is actually carrying a gun.

So ladies tell us more. You are exceedingly good for the movement. IMO - one female OCing is at least worth 2 or 3 men OCing. You probably see that with most things in life though - right? :D

Yata hey

MAAAAAAAAANnnnn, your GF really got you trained ain't she?

LOL :lol:;)

Couldn't resist.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

MAAAAAAAAANnnnn, your GF really got you trained ain't she?

LOL :lol:;)

Couldn't resist.
I like win/win situations, doncha know. Self-trained too!

Yata hey

MamaLiberty

imported post

I'm a 62 year old grandma and OC everywhere, every day. Unfortunately, unless some of my boys are in town, I'm the only one here who does open carry. :(

So far I've gotten very little comment on it at all, and most of that has been positive.

I carry this card: http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/Guncard.htm
And hand it out to anyone who comments or asks questions.

I'm also a certified NRA instructor for handguns and self defense. I teach the CC permit classes for our sheriff. I do not, and never will, have a "permit" myself.

Don't need one in Wyoming to OC. :D

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I posted this a while back and I thought I'd revisit it now with the OC push going in TX and it is a closer goal.

I find the gender issue particularly interesting in this movement and I think it's worth a closer look in regards to perceptions. A large part of antiOC argument is that men want to open carry in order to "show off" or "act tough". Well, if that's the assumed reason for male OC proponents, what is the assumed reason for female OC proponents?

I read in another thread that the image of Lori on the advertising banners and billboards is seen as "cocky or smug"...defiant even.

What is it about perceptions?

And how can we use them to our advantage to relay our message so that it resonates?