• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ex-employer blues

danbus

imported post

Last Sunday, I went to 7/11 to get gas in Norfolk. My ex-employer (security company) still provided armed guards there. I was OCing my 1911, cocked and locked of course.

After I walked in, a supervisor, whom recognized me, made a sassy comment about how I still carried with the "hammer back". I informed him yet again it's the way it's designed to be carried and that since I no longer work for the company, firing me was out of the question. He then went on to tell me that I would end up shooting my foot off. I disagreed. Then he goes on telling me how a LEO in NY dropped his service weapon and it "went off" and hit a toddler in the arm. I made claim that it wasn't a 1911 that fell. He differed. I explained that most if not all NY LEOs carry Glocks and how they only fire when the trigger is pulled. He stood silent and still said it's still dangerous for me to carry with the hammer back. I ignored him further, paid and left.

I research the story and found it "mostly" true.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02082008/news/regionalnews/clumsy_cop_shoots_tot_266373.htm

February 8, 2008 -- An 18-month-old boy was accidentally shot in the arm by an off-duty cop in Brooklyn yesterday, police said.

The officer, 24, a two-year veteran who works in Manhattan, according to sources, was cleaning the gun in his second-floor apartment in Mill Basin when the weapon dropped and discharged at about 3 p.m.

The boy was in a playpen with his twin brother in a first-floor apartment when the bullet came through the ceiling.

The tot was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in good condition.

"He's going to be OK," said his 17-year-old brother. "There's a hole in the living-room ceiling, a big hole above the playpen."

The officer has not been charged.

There are more stories, but this the first that I found. Of course we know that Glocks don't fire unless someone fires them. But that's not the point.

The problem I have is the guard making unnecessary comments about my mode of carry and firearm. I used to work for this company until I quit/was fired.

On one hand, I should just ignore the ignorant and move on. On another, I wish to address the company as to the unprofessionalism shown to me.

How would another gun-owner handle this?

LEO 229

imported post

I would not have given him the satisfaction.

Acknowledge you heard him by look or grunt.... go about your business.

cato

imported post

danbus wrote:
On one hand, I should just ignore the ignorant and move on. On another, I wish to address the company as to the unprofessionalism shown to me.

How would another gun-owner handle this?
Let go the baggage and move on.;) Take a yoga class! :cool:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Next time just gingerly take it out and drop it on his foot...if it discharges then apologize for being wrong, tell him he's right, pick up your piece and leave...:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:what:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

danbus wrote:
The officer, 24, a two-year veteran who works in Manhattan, according to sources, was cleaning the gun in his second-floor apartment in Mill Basin when the weapon dropped and discharged at about 3 p.m.

The boy was in a playpen with his twin brother in a first-floor apartment when the bullet came through the ceiling.
I call BS. Even a Glock doesn't fire when dropped, a Glock does however require being dry fired before field stripping to clean. This officer pulled the trigger, he seemed to have missed the part in the manual about pointing in a safe direction.

As for the business with your employer, he's just ignorant. Let it go, people have this argument about cocked and locked all the time at the range and some people are just stupid. As for the unprofessionalism part, are you always the professional employee when you're dealing with someone you know personally?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

next time in the door try this;

look at him and say "Stop" then point to your holster and say "Hammer Time, you can't touch this!!" then shuffle off to the counter.

Evil Ernie

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

look at him and say "Stop" then point to your holster and say "Hammer Time, you can't touch this!!" then shuffle off to the counter.
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just make sure your wearing your tigerstripped parachute pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just make sure your wearing your tigerstripped parachute pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4

Evil Ernie

imported post

NO NO!!! STOP IT!!!! Sheesh I remember those days...those chickies looked hawt in spandex but when they took'em off? WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :what::what::what:And usually looked like Castro eating a london broil....

Anyway, back on topic....LEO229 had the best answer...grunt and move out smartly...