• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Tucson Officers Shot

400HP

imported post

This is a tragic mess. Theofficer has a little girl.

Man dressed in camoflage, driving a convertible Mustang and brandishing an assault rifle led officers on cross-town chase

[align=left]

A camouflage-clad man driving a red Mustang convertible opened fire on law enforcement officers with an assault rifle at five locations throughout Tucson Sunday, critically injuring one and wounding two others before giving up on Mount Lemmon Highway.
Doctors have said that Tucson police officer Erik Hite, 43, who was shot in the head during the chase, is “very unlikely to live,” Tucson Police Chief Richard Miranda said. Hite is on life support at University Medical Center.
Hired in February 2004, Hite is a four-year veteran of the Tucson Police Department. He previously served 21 years in the U.S. Air Force, Miranda said.
He has a wife, Nohemy, and two children: a baby, not yet a year old, named Samantha; and a son, Roy David, who is serving in the military in San Antonio, Miranda said. His age and branch of service were not available Sunday.
Hite’s parents were on their way to Tucson from Portland, Ore.
Miranda said Hite was “ambushed” and shot once in the head at 10:27 a.m. at Tanque Verde and Tomohawk Trail, just west of Houghton Road. Two Pima County Sheriff's deputies also were shot during the cross-town chase, which began before 10 a.m., but their injuries are not life-threatening.
The shooting spree began at just before 10 a.m. Sunday in North Tucson in the 8400 block of North Placita de la Manzana when the suspect, David Nicholas Delich, 25, fired at two houses with an assault rifle, said Rick Kastigar, Pima County Sheriff's Bureau Chief. He didn't hit anybody.
A Sheriff's deputy found the suspect driving west of Oracle Road on Ina Road and began chasing him. At Ina and Oracle, the shooter fired at the deputy, hitting him in the right shoulder. The deputy continued the chase south on Oracle but lost track of the man, Kastigar said.
Deputies working on the east side picked him up near Swan and River. A chase continued with several officers trailing the red mustang, Kastigar said. As they drove east on Tanque Verde, the suspect fired shots back at the officers on Tanque Verde Road bridge. The shots didn’t hit anybody. Further ahead, west of Houghton Road on Tanque Verde, officers laid down stop sticks.
Before he hit them, Delich made an abrupt left turn heading north on to a side street called Tomahawk Trail, Kastigar said. There, he fired at Hite, who was immediately behind him, striking him more than once, including in the head, Kastigar said. Hite was flown by helicopter to University Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.
Delich was able to lose the officers after shooting the officer, Kastigar said. They found him again driving up Catalina Highway on the way to Mount Lemmon. At milepost 1.5, he shot at a Sheriff's deputy, causing a minor wound to the side of his head, Kastigar said.
The man continued north and gave up at Molina Basin at about 11 a.m., more than an hour after the incident began. He was arrested and taken into custody. A background check shows that Delich has been arrested on criminal trespassing, a marijuana violation and possession of drug paraphernalia. He has not spent any time in Arizona prisons.
Nobody else was injured during the chase, Kastigar said. Catalina Highway and other areas where shootings occurred were closed Sunday, causing significant traffic delays. Investigators don't know why the man went on the shooting spree, Kastigar said.
The shooting spree and chase was a harrowing experience for people on Catalina Highway and at the shooting locations. Jody and Don Mackey were biking up Catalina Highway near Molino Basin when somebody in a car told them to get out of there, and that somebody was shooting at people with a rifle, they said. Then, they saw 20-25 officers speed up the highway.
"You knew something horrible was happening," said Jody Mackey, of Tucson. They sped back down the mountain on their bikes to ensure their safety. "It was scary, it was horrifying," said Jody Mackey, of Tucson. "We didn't want to get killed."
Children Gab and Nolan Illanas, heard the gunshots from their house in the Tanque Verde Woods subdivision, just east of where the Tucson Police officer was shot. The children also saw police officers speed off behind the Mustang after the shots were fired. Nolan, 10, went outside to see what was going on and saw a police officer in his car at the entrance to the neighborhood. "We were, like, really scared," Nolan said.
Their mother, Sheree Illanas, said the children, like the rest of the neighbors, were unharmed but shaken. “It’s always quiet here,” said Judy Harris, who lives in the same neighborhood. “So that was pretty scary.”
Chris Moseley said he moved from Los Angeles, where he lived for 10 years, to get away from incidents like Sunday’s. He never expected to see something so gruesome occur so close to his family’s house. “It is kind of strange to see something like this happen on this side of town,” Moseley said.

Contact reporter Brady McCombs at 573-4213 or bmccombs@azstarnet.com[/url].

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/241754

http://www.azstarnet.com

[/align]

like_the_roman

imported post

1. The man should be publicly executed with his own 'assault rifle' without the benefit of a trial.

2. Tucsonans, be prepared for a media blitz from the Red Star for more gun control. It's coming.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RIP Officer Hite.

Truly heroic actions on the part of the officers to protect the community. My prayers go out for the Hite family and the families of the wounded officers.

I think it would be appropriate to feed Delich to the pigs, starting with his feet while still attached to the rest of him. POS human being.

tattedupboy

imported post

Unfortunately, the antis are going to have a field day with this one. Instead of placing the blame where it belongs, on this and other criminals, they'll call for banning assault weapons for law abiding citizens and calling for current owners of them to turn them in or have them confiscated. Meanwhile, with fewer firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens, criminals' working environments will become even safer.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I am very sorry for the loss that has been suffered.

However, I am NOT happy about the fact that the media has sort of blamed this on an "assault rifle." There is no mention that I saw of the weapon type, and thus it goes that much further in enforcing in the anti's mind that the "assault rifle" is to blame. I'd be willing to bet that it was not select fire. If it was, the existing laws against him owning it obviously did absolutely nothing to stop him. A murderer is not concerned about a firearms charge. As such, more laws will not fix this "assault weapon problem."

It is horrible to consider, but let's face it, he shot the officer in the head. This is probably going to be fatal with any reasonably powerful firearm, even a .22LR could kill you if you're shot in the head. Whether or not it was an "assault rifle" has nothing to do with it IMO, but they had to bring up that "juicy" part of the story. Mostly because they know it will have the anti's pissing their pants in fear of the "weapon with killer instinct and a mind of it's own," aka the "assault rifle."

See Sgt., I told you my Ranger T +p 45's will penetrate better than your pea-shootn' 9.
Meh, maybe an inch or so better on average. There are quite a few defense type .45ACP rounds that barely reach the 12" "FBI Minimum." I'd say there are probably more defense oriented 9mm rounds that don't quite reach 12", but with good 9mm rounds, there just isn't a whole lot of difference (14"+ penetration with expansion to .6"-.7" is not that unusual). Yeah, the 9mm is a pea shooter and I guess the .45ACP is too. Although if you want to provide me with significant evidence to the contrary I'll certainly check it out.

One of the only rounds I've seen that is really nasty in terms of expansion in the .45ACP is Federal's HST. That thing apparently expands to over 1", while the 9mm version expands to about .75". I think there's a slight "power" advantage with the .45ACP (An even bigger one with FMJ's), but it's nothing particularly large. Plus, some of that advantage is offset by other factors such as increased cost, increased recoil, reduced magazine capacity, etc.

I like most calibers honestly, and I plan to own firearms chambered in .45ACP, probably a 1911 type initially. But there's just not that big of a difference in terms of performance. Yeah I've heard about this and that involving a failure to stop a target 25 years ago and whatnot, so I'm not really looking for that kind of "evidence." But if you have some recent evidence proving the .45ACP is a nuclear weapon and the 9mm is a vegetable thrower, I'll take a look.

Dahwg

imported post

Luckily local politics is taking front stage. From what I've seen and heard is that the blame is not going so much on the type of gun, but squarely on the shoulders of Mike Hein the city manager. Tucson has a pathetic weak mayor system of government, basically all the power is in the hands of an unelected city manager.

Currently the (Tucson Police Officers' Association) TPOA is in a vicious battle against the city because of inadequate funding. The PR war has been massive. Not only are TPD officers under-paid, they are short staffed. We have 600 active officers for a city of nearly about 700,000inhabitants. In addition the very liberal mindedcity council has imposed restrictions on the officers.I've been told they have a policy that states: No shotgus allowed (don't want to scare the sheeple), and if you want a long gun, you have to purchase it at your own expense.This is what is garnering all the attention. Last update says Officer Hite's cruiser had seven bullet holes in it. Imagine if he had a long gun at his disposal, might this have turned out differently?

sjalterego

imported post

Condolences to the family of Officer Hite and our thanks for courageously responding to an obviously dangerous situation.

Does anybody know what initially set the perp off? Why was her "randomly" shooting at houses in the first place?

like_the_roman

imported post

sjalterego wrote:
Does anybody know what initially set the perp off?  Why was her "randomly" shooting at houses in the first place?

This one was just a crazy druggie. Thought he was a blood descendant of Jesus and a religious prophet. Probably wanted to stir up some trouble and get name recognition before dying.