Thread: Help a DC resident thinking about firearms

Post imported post

Megan Mcardle, a writer living in DC, contemplates whether she should buy a firearm if Heller v DC is upheld. One of her concerns is how far it would be to a range for practice (and I think she might not own a car.)

Some of you NOVA folks might take a look over there and help her out.

(But be nice--don't scare the natives.....)

Post imported post

In VA probably about a 30-40min drive down I95 South. Maybe some ranges in MD would be closer (I don't actually know).

Post imported post

Closest on the VA side would probably be either Gilbert's in Springfield, or the NRA range in Fairfax, depending on where she's starting from.

Post imported post

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    In VA probably about a 30-40min drive down I95 South. Maybe some ranges in MD would be closer (I don't actually know).
    I'd think it'd be less time, depending on traffic. Gilberts is at exit 166A.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

There is also Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly, fairly close to Dulles. However, I think Gilbert's fees are cheaper.

Post imported post

Gilberts is the closest to her.

Post imported post

(and I think she might not own a car.)
    If that's the case, Gilberts is a short cab ride from the Springfield Metro station. Can't tell you if there's a bus route there.

Post imported post

Maybe the members of the VCDL can assist a writer choose a handgun and get into the sport/hobby/lifestyle of owning a firearm for shooting and self defense. Good opportunity to win someone over!

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    Tell her to open her window. She can get all the practice shooting bad guys she needs.
    Hey, I think most congressmen are scum (Ron Paul is an exception), but that IS NO REASON to advocate shooting them.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

If the current gun law for owning a handgun in DC is overturned, the DC government will enact laws that will make it impossible to do anything with the gun. They will make it so aggravating to purchase a gun. Here is what I see happening if the law is overturned:
    1. You will have to go though an intensive background check. Please remember that the DC government is very inefficientWaiting period…days, weeks, months??Register the gunThere will be no permit to carry of any kind.The gun will have to disassembled it for storage in your own houseWhen transporting the gun, disassembled

It will be Interesting to see how they will deal with people moving into DC that already have handguns.

Remember, there is only one licensed gun store in DC and who said the DC government will let them sell handguns if the law is reversed. They are going to have to change that law too and that was NOT part of Heller vs DC.

Just tell her to move to Vhantilly, VA. Problem solved.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hanging_chad wrote:
    If the current gun law for owning a handgun in DC is overturned, the DC government will enact laws that will make it impossible to do anything with the gun. They will make it so aggravating to purchase a gun. Here is what I see happening if the law is overturned:
    1. You will have to go though an intensive background check. Please remember that the DC government is very inefficientWaiting period…days, weeks, months??Register the gunThere will be no permit to carry of any kind.The gun will have to disassembled it for storage in your own houseWhen transporting the gun, disassembled

It will be Interesting to see how they will deal with people moving into DC that already have handguns.

Remember, there is only one licensed gun store in DC and who said the DC government will let them sell handguns if the law is reversed. They are going to have to change that law too and that was NOT part of Heller vs DC.

Just tell her to move to VA. Problem solved.
    Take a look at the current DC laws. Within 1000 feet of a building or park (okay, that's an exaggeration, but ....) is a gun-free zone. They'll just enact more of them.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

hanging_chad wrote:
    Get an FFL C&R license. You cannot buy new handguns with it, but if Heller is upheld, there are many great handguns that you can buy over the internet from outside ofthe Districtand have shiped right to your door.

The key here is to have your C&R before the Supreme Court ruling and to get your handguns as soon as the Supreme Court rules.

It is extremely difficult to ban legally obtained property. That is why the gun bans always have an exception for previously owned guns, magazines, etc.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

All DC residents should get a PA License to Carry Firearms by mail ASAP - no fingeprints or training required.

The PA LTCF is accepted by many or most states, including Virginia, and can most easily be obtained by mail from the Centre County Sheriff at http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp.

Where accepted by a state, the PA LTCF allows the holder to conceal a handgun. And for the few states requiring a license to also open carry a handgun, or sometimes to carry a handgun in a vehicle, the LTCF works there too.