• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help a DC resident thinking about firearms

nova

imported post

In VA probably about a 30-40min drive down I95 South. Maybe some ranges in MD would be closer (I don't actually know).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
In VA probably about a 30-40min drive down I95 South. Maybe some ranges in MD would be closer (I don't actually know).
I'd think it'd be less time, depending on traffic. Gilberts is at exit 166A.

hsmith

imported post

Maybe the members of the VCDL can assist a writer choose a handgun and get into the sport/hobby/lifestyle of owning a firearm for shooting and self defense. Good opportunity to win someone over!

Thundar

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Tell her to open her window. She can get all the practice shooting bad guys she needs.
Hey, I think most congressmen are scum (Ron Paul is an exception), but that IS NO REASON to advocate shooting them.:lol:

hanging_chad

imported post

If the current gun law for owning a handgun in DC is overturned, the DC government will enact laws that will make it impossible to do anything with the gun. They will make it so aggravating to purchase a gun. Here is what I see happening if the law is overturned:
  1. You will have to go though an intensive background check. Please remember that the DC government is very inefficientWaiting period…days, weeks, months??Register the gunThere will be no permit to carry of any kind.The gun will have to disassembled it for storage in your own houseWhen transporting the gun, disassembled
It will be Interesting to see how they will deal with people moving into DC that already have handguns.

Remember, there is only one licensed gun store in DC and who said the DC government will let them sell handguns if the law is reversed. They are going to have to change that law too and that was NOT part of Heller vs DC.

Just tell her to move to Vhantilly, VA. Problem solved.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hanging_chad wrote:
If the current gun law for owning a handgun in DC is overturned, the DC government will enact laws that will make it impossible to do anything with the gun. They will make it so aggravating to purchase a gun. Here is what I see happening if the law is overturned:
  1. You will have to go though an intensive background check. Please remember that the DC government is very inefficientWaiting period…days, weeks, months??Register the gunThere will be no permit to carry of any kind.The gun will have to disassembled it for storage in your own houseWhen transporting the gun, disassembled
It will be Interesting to see how they will deal with people moving into DC that already have handguns.

Remember, there is only one licensed gun store in DC and who said the DC government will let them sell handguns if the law is reversed. They are going to have to change that law too and that was NOT part of Heller vs DC.

Just tell her to move to VA. Problem solved.
Take a look at the current DC laws. Within 1000 feet of a building or park (okay, that's an exaggeration, but ....) is a gun-free zone. They'll just enact more of them.

Thundar

imported post

hanging_chad wrote:
Get an FFL C&R license. You cannot buy new handguns with it, but if Heller is upheld, there are many great handguns that you can buy over the internet from outside ofthe Districtand have shiped right to your door.

The key here is to have your C&R before the Supreme Court ruling and to get your handguns as soon as the Supreme Court rules.

It is extremely difficult to ban legally obtained property. That is why the gun bans always have an exception for previously owned guns, magazines, etc.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

All DC residents should get a PA License to Carry Firearms by mail ASAP - no fingeprints or training required.

The PA LTCF is accepted by many or most states, including Virginia, and can most easily be obtained by mail from the Centre County Sheriff at http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp.

Where accepted by a state, the PA LTCF allows the holder to conceal a handgun. And for the few states requiring a license to also open carry a handgun, or sometimes to carry a handgun in a vehicle, the LTCF works there too.