• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about NJ law

vbnative73

imported post

The following is what little I know of a situation that happened in NJ. I only know VA laws, so given these limited details can someone explain why this may have been illegal? The suspended license is a no-brainer but the weapons charges don't make sense to me.

"ON 31 MAY, AT 0930, A 25 Y/O MALE E5 WAS STOPPED FOR SPEEDING AND ARRESTED BY MAHWAH, NJ POLICE DEPARTMENT FOR DRIVING UNDER SUSPENDED LICENSE, POSSESSION OF HOLLOW POINT ROUNDS, HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE, KNIFE AND A SPRINGFIELD 9MM PISTOL."

I'm assuming that since he is Active Duty Navy, he is not a convicted felon. Like I said, I don't know NJ law. Can someone explain the charges as they relate to the law there?

KnightSG7

imported post

Hollowpoint rounds are HIGHLY illegal in New Jersey, I believe (dont quote me on this) that you can get up to 5 years for each round of hollowpoint ammo you have on your person.

sandcast69

imported post

Hollow points are legal for home use and at the range ONLY!
Do not get caught with them anywhere else.
If he can't prove he was going to or coming from a shooting range or the store he just bought them at "he's screwed"!
I'm not sure about active LEOs but retired cops with CCWs can't use them either.
He had better be directly on his way to the range or his home also, no stopping at
the 7-11, walmart, etc. Thats a big NO-NO also in this state.

sandcast69

Evil Ernie

imported post

The way it is written tells me that he was charged with possession of the 9mm as well. Evidently, he didn't have a permit to own the handgun...BIG NO NO in NJ. I wonder if he had it on him (as in CC or OC), that tacks on more vacation time in the graybar hotel. The knife is a no no if it's over 3.5 inches (correct me if I'm wrong). Man, talk about wrong state at the wrong time...he's totally screwed...

NJ weapons law in a nutshell: You ain't allow to have'em!!!
Hollowpoints: illegal
Knife over 3.5 in: illegal
Mag over 10 rnds: illegal
Handgun w/o permit to own: illegal
Breathing in NJ: illegal
Get it? Good.

Gunslinger

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
The way it is written tells me that he was charged with possession of the 9mm as well. Evidently, he didn't have a permit to own the handgun...BIG NO NO in NJ. I wonder if he had it on him (as in CC or OC), that tacks on more vacation time in the graybar hotel. The knife is a no no if it's over 3.5 inches (correct me if I'm wrong). Man, talk about wrong state at the wrong time...he's totally screwed...

Get it? Good.
What a state! You have the biggest a-hole governor, surpassed only by the morons in the Senate. If I owned hell and NJ, I'd live in hell and rent NJ to the ragheads.

gallonoffuel

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:

Get it? Good.

There is a lot of mis-information in this post so I thought I'd clear it up for you.

There are really only a few specific firearms that are illegal to possess, and you can usually get around it by buying a clone. The restricted firearms are listed by name (Colt AR-15), so getting a clone (Bushmaster) allows you to skirt by.

• Hollowpoints are not illegal. You can buy them at any place that sells ammo. They're illegal to use in a crime. You can have them in your home and at the range. It is not illegal to travel with ammunition.
  • Knives with blades over 3.5" are illegal to carry. You can certaintly own them, just dont carry them around in your pocket in a public place.
  • Mags over *15* rounds are illegal.
  • NJ handgun permits are PERMITS TO PURCHASE, not permits to own. If you have an NJ firearms ID card, and already own a handgun, you do not need to file for anything to own that handgun.
Other tidbits people often confuse:

• You do not need to register firearms in NJ. They strongly encourage it, and all purchases are well documented, but as far as formal registration, it is not required. If you inherit firearms from an elder, as long as you are in the legal capacity to own them (ie: you have a valid Firearms ID), you do not need to do anything.
  • Concealed carry in NJ is *technically* a may-issue. Effectively, it's a non-issue. There are 8.5M people in NJ, and about 3500 CCW holders. All are either ex-LEO or private security. The nice little maps that show NJ as may-issue should really be noted with this fact.

Evans86

imported post

i just wanted to let you know that i have family in NJ and i know it's not a 10 round limit to mags but a 15 round limit. it's the only state that does have a limit that is something other then 10. maybe this will be a help to some.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Arrested for possession of a pistol and a knife, damn, I thought this was America.

jayspapa

imported post

What is the reason the law makers give for baning the use of hollow points when away from your home ??? Even retired leo's can't use them ????

Looks like they would want to stop over penetration as much as possible. Your politicians must have talked to our Illinois politicians and decided they had to outdo Illinois. :cuss:

WheelGun

imported post

What I find the most upsetting is the most easily overlooked part of the story. The 'E5'. Most civilians would not even know what that meant. I assume the E5 in the article is the military pay-grade, so the individual is active military.

Of all the crap that military personnel have to put up with integrating the military and non-military parts of their lives (I know, I have done it for years now) you would think on the firearms part of the incident he would get a pass.

In any other place in the US he would most likely have told the cop 'Hey listen, I know I was driving like a jackass, and I'lll take it like a man.But the partaboutthe gun; the military just reassigned me from a state where it was perfectly legal."

A little on-the-spot legal advice would have followed.

"Yes sir, officer." Done.

Not in New Jersey.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

I am an E7, and this is going to ruin his career in the military. Damn NJ. I don't know much about NJ law and guns other than it is a pain in the ass. I moved back to NJ from NY in the mid 90's for just a few months and was told by local LEO dept that the shotgun from NY had to be registered. I took the packet, an inch think and threw it in the can. They wanted FED, State, County, Municipality, and Township paperwork filled out. Crazy. I travel almost every where, both fly and drive with my gun, I CC/OC anywhere both my permits allow, NJ isn't one of them.

I agree with WheelGun, little common decency given the situation. Not like the guy had 20 Glocks and 50 LBS of Hollow Point for sale to the nearest crackhead. Career ruined for this BS. Gotta love NJ.

vbnative73

imported post

Yeah, in this case E5 is a military paygrade. I copy/pasted this from a Navy Unit Sitrep. For you civilian types, it's a message that a command sends out whenever anything serious happens at the command or to one of its people.