• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is open carry going to hurt our gun rights?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Here are some samples of the concerns our fellow citizens are posing over on CalGuns.

Quote: Originally Posted by Matt@EntrepriseArms
Its just my opinion, as I think that no matter how much we open carry or "educate," its never going to be Ok in this state. Quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Its a nice thought, though.

Quote: Originally Posted by mikehaas
Proposing Open carry in the political climate of California is INSANE. Want to set the cause back decades? Just start sticking your finger in the eye of the voting public and scaring them LIKE THE BLACK PANTHERS DID WHEN THEY STAGED THEIR ARMED MARCH ON SACRAMENTO. That propelled the cause of gun control LIGHT YEARS into the future and we're still dealing with the aftermath of that stupidity. There's a reason hunters no longer tie big game to the fenders of cars and Hunter Safety courses advise against the practice. "Feel good" suggestions like proposing open carry in gun-hostile environments is extremely dangerous to the protection of civil liberties. One brush with the media of such "insanity" can undermine the good work of a lot of dedicated activists. Just ask the "pro-gun" idiots who forced the Prop H handgun Initiative on the ballot after NRA had quietly convinced enough SF supes to keep it off. It took 3 court actions and millions of dollars to set that right (and there are NEVER any guarrentees when one goes to court.)

Quote: Originally Posted by steven_m64
may i suggest that you grow a brain to go along with that pair you have. your personal experiences so far with open carrying means nothing in respect to the possibility of a persons getting royally screwed the hell over if a Leo decides your breaking law's, and just because you have not been bit by a leo for a year does not mean it wont happen tomorrow. good for you that your willing to risk screwing your self over to exercise your right to open carry, having brave fools take the bullet for the common good is nice right?? with the climate as it is its just not smart... it will also be nice to see what happens to that pair you grew if you ever get bit by a idiot leo.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I wanted to cross-post the conversation here, partly because something very profound was said (by our very own ConditionThree), but buried deep in the thread:

Quote: Originally Posted by CitaDeL

Let me frame your rationale with some historic parallels.

'The American colonies will never be free of the Crown.'

'Coloreds' will never ride in the front of the bus with good white folk.'

'Homosexuals will never be accepted in public or allowed to marry.'

In the first place, we as gun proponents are under the obligation to at least try to exersize our second liberty- particularly if excersizing the first is ineffectual. Second, we must remind ourselves as well as others, that we will not be treated as second class citizens on the basis of our 'appearance'. Third, if society can become accustomed to two people of the same gender cohabitating, showing affection in public, and raising a family, they certainly can handle the appearance of a person regardless of sexual orientation openly displaying their intent to defend their spouse and their progeny.

Ultimately, the only way we will make advances in restoring the right to keep and bear arms, will be to throw off our own inhibitions to what we believe society will be offended by. Because when we allow ourselves to be self conscious of our civil right to be armed, we then endorse the bigotry that keeps good people from taking up arms in defense of self and the defense of others. It is WE that create the perception that none are worthy to be allowed arms, when we abide by restrictions that do not exist and at the risk of offending some unknown persons sensibilities.

If we can in some small way show that gun owners are regular people, I believe that like other civil rights struggles, it is possible to change prejudice into acceptance... if not acceptance, then tolerance... if not tolerance, acknowledgment...

Whatever the advance, its much more than we will get by assuming that we will never educate or change people's perceptions.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

There is one flaw to C3's analogy: what the colonists, blacks, and homosexuals did to fight for their rights was illegal in many cases. In general, when we discuss our form of political activism, we're talking about doing stuff that isn't even illegal! Imagine if we were suggesting breaking the law...

I personally would very much like to practice civil disobedience. If I had the financial means, I would do it today. It will likely be many years before I can even seriously consider this.

Craig, thank you for your post. It's really rather simple, but you knew just what needed to be said and when. As usual, you're a valuable asset to our cause.

flyingm

imported post

There are some great replys in that thread in response to the opponents of open carry.

The thing that really gets me about that board, is that half the board is willing to build grey-area rifles with "scary looking features" (their words). Yet they are so against other forms of 2A protest? If they think that a regular handgun carried peacefully on one's hip is going to freak out the masses, what do they think the reaction is going to be when people see them with scary looking "Assault Weapons"?

We are all trying to accomplish the same goal more or less, the advancement of our right to keep and bear arms. Some choose one method and some choose another. Why does there have to be animosity between the two? Aren't we supposed to be on the same team?

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

People irrationally against open-carry are no different than the people who want to ban guns altogether. It is the distorting of their own perceived reality which they are too immature minded to handle, and make up any reason to make their perceived reality remain constant.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OCOC wrote:
There are some great replys in that thread in response to the opponents of open carry.

The thing that really gets me about that board, is that half the board is willing to build grey-area rifles with "scary looking features" (their words). Yet they are so against other forms of 2A protest? If they think that a regular handgun carried peacefully on one's hip is going to freak out the masses, what do they think the reaction is going to be when people see them with scary looking "Assault Weapons"?

We are all trying to accomplish the same goal more or less, the advancement of our right to keep and bear arms. Some choose one method and some choose another. Why does there have to be animosity between the two? Aren't we supposed to be on the same team?
In fact, I would like to mesh these to forms: OLL open carry! Someday...

flyingm

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
In fact, I would like to mesh these to forms: OLL open carry! Someday...
Now that would be something to see! If only I could scrounge up the $1500 for the rifle and another few tens of thousands for bail/attorney fees... When is that stimulus check coming again? :p