• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops in the District of Criminals Get Semi-Auto Carbines

Ajetpilot

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
It is the simple fact that if an Officer is qualified to carry a weapon on and off duty in a specific area, why should they not be able to do so in another state or area.
Let's just rephrase this a little bit:

If a civilian is qualified to carry a weapon in a specific area, why shouldthat personnot be able to do so in another state or area?

OR:

If I'm licensed to carry a weapon concealed (or open)in Washington State, why should I not be able to do so in another state?

Legba

imported post

You would think that the "full faith and credit" clause would cover that, but not necessarily so. They'll recognize your wife or your drivers license, but not your gun permit, without a formal reciprocity agreement. I don't get it either.

-ljp

Johnny Law

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
It is the simple fact that if an Officer is qualified to carry a weapon on and off duty in a specific area, why should they not be able to do so in another state or area.

If a civilian is qualified to carry a weapon in a specific area, why shouldthat personnot be able to do so in another state or area?

OR:

If I'm licensed to carry a weapon concealed (or open)in Washington State, why should I not be able to do so in another state?
I mean neither you nor anyone on this forum any disrespect, but not all who are licensed to carry, are truly qualified to carry. Let me go on to say that in my opinion the folks on this board are likely more qualified to carry than joe average citizen.

Personally I have no problem with extending that privelige to non LE, but I don't see the Govt. ever taking it there. The reason that they allowed LE to carry nationally is because these are people who carry every day, and earn their living with a gun on their hip. Most of them carry off duty anyway, and as I stated it provides a free layer of security (not just to themsellves but to others as well). It is not a citizens job to provide protection to others, and most agree that they carry for personal defense. This is the primary reason Cops carry off duty, but they also have the training and experience to deal with deadly situations that may not even involve them. It greatly increases the odds that an armed/trained (off duty) Officer will be in the area when the SHTF.

Johnny Law

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Yep. As I keep saying, "Either we are equal or we are not." You decide. We can be equal or I can be superior.

Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
If you wish to seen as equal in your Governments eyes, then you would have to become an Officer. Otherwise how are they to know or judge your training and abilities?

If you feel you are superior, you are a jackass in everyone's eyes.

Pointman

imported post

What armed citizens do is provide an added layer of covert protection and crime deterrent, without costing any money.

And when SHTF, the police call the military. See Katrina for details, or Milwaukee, or Chicago. The military gets the job done by staying on target, and hitting the target. They are the ultimate in SHTF situations. They are the ultimate in maturity. They should get the same respect.

Then again, since everyone is created equal, everyone who stands up for America should.

Johnny Law

imported post

Pointman wrote:
What armed citizens do is provide an added layer of covert protection and crime deterrent, without costing any money.

And when SHTF, the police call the military. See Katrina for details, or Milwaukee, or Chicago. The military gets the job done by staying on target, and hitting the target. They are the ultimate in SHTF situations. They are the ultimate in maturity. They should get the same respect.

Then again, since everyone is created equal, everyone who stands up for America should.
True some armed citizens are a great asset, while others prove to be a problem for LE.

When I say SHTF I'm not talking about natural disasters. I'm referring to armed citizens who happen to be wacko idiots and shoot up malls, schools, and whatever else.

In 15 years on the job the s___ has hit the fanMANY times and I have never had to ask the Military for help, as it is not their job. Police are well trained to handle the situations, and do.

If you think all Military personnel are mature, I've got some bad news. I arrest them on a frequent basis for the same stupid things that everyone else does. Hell I've beenshot at by anex-Marine with an ar-15,and he's not around to talk about it anymore.

Don't misunderstand me though, I have a great respect for those in the Military, but here in America it is the Police's job tohandle it.

Btw, I have several Cop friends that aresecurity contractors in Iraq right now, and are being highly paid for their skills.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Moved to news because we don't have a "Holy crap is this really happening in America?" section...
LOL... But I have mixed feelings about that statement :uhoh:
I meant it in the sense thatthe criminalsget bigger guns and the Police are arming themselves accordingly, but in the hands of law abiding citizens stuck in the middle, they're all "assault weapons" or "Evil Black Rifles" and we're all "gun nuts"??

Something very wrong with that picture.

Pointman

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I meant it in the sense thatthe criminalsget bigger guns and the Police are arming themselves accordingly, but in the hands of law abiding citizens stuck in the middle, they're all "assault weapons" or "Evil Black Rifles" and we're all "gun nuts"??

Something very wrong with that picture.
Yes, the problem is, once again, government involvement. "Criminals get these guns, officers get these smaller department-approved guns, citizens get these smaller-yet guns..." Where in the Constitution does it say that???? Butt out and let everyone carry what they want! Personal responsibility doesn't change when a person switches from a .32 autoloader to a .44 magnum--the gun just gets heavier.

Very few bad guys are dressed head-to-toe in protective armor, and very few citizens would carry a .50 caliber BMG if allowed, meaning the average bad guy can be taken down by the average armed citizen, and the unusual bad guy can be taken down by the unusual citizen. The solution to the problem is to let common sense dictate a solution, not have the government issue half-baked declarations that strip people of their rights.

possumboy

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Yes, the problem is, once again, government involvement. "Criminals get these guns, officers get these smaller department-approved guns, citizens get these smaller-yet guns..." Where in the Constitution does it say that???? Butt out and let everyone carry what they want! Personal responsibility doesn't change when a person switches from a .32 autoloader to a .44 magnum--the gun just gets
This is DC, the citizens that follow the law, do not get guns to protect themselves.

Just searched and questioned about having guns.

Pointman

imported post

They don't get handguns, but can keep long guns in a non-operable state of non-readiness for self defense, at home.

Johnny Law

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
It is not a citizens job to provide protection to others, and most agree that they carry for personal defense.
It has been proven that it is not a cop's job either.
Damn......I'll tell dispatch to quit sending me to calls involving gunfire.

compmanio365

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Yep. As I keep saying, "Either we are equal or we are not." You decide. We can be equal or I can be superior.

Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
If you wish to seen as equal in your Governments eyes, then you would have to become an Officer. Otherwise how are they to know or judge your training and abilities?

JL, I don't get this statement......are you REALLY saying that in order to be an equal to an officer, you must become one? So you view yourself as superior to an ordinary citizen? I find that unacceptable.......this attitude is what breeds the elitism among police these days; disrespect and downright violation of a person's rights are what follows.....the Nazis felt they were "superior" to the Jews as well..........:uhoh:

And SCOTUS has ruled on multiple occasions that police are NOT there to protect you.....they will help if they can, but they are under NO obligation to do so. So the only person you can RELY on to help you is yourself. If I knew a cop would be there the second I called for one, great......but we all know average response times are around the 6 minute mark......so again, the only person responsible for your safety is YOU.

Johnny Law

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

JL, I don't get this statement......are you REALLY saying that in order to be an equal to an officer, you must become one? So you view yourself as superior to an ordinary citizen? I find that unacceptable.......this attitude is what breeds the elitism among police these days; disrespect and downright violation of a person's rights are what follows.....the Nazis felt they were "superior" to the Jews as well..........:uhoh:

And SCOTUS has ruled on multiple occasions that police are NOT there to protect you.....they will help if they can, but they are under NO obligation to do so. So the only person you can RELY on to help you is yourself. If I knew a cop would be there the second I called for one, great......but we all know average response times are around the 6 minute mark......so again, the only person responsible for your safety is YOU.
I was merely responding to Huffman's worn out rhetoric "equal" line that he frequently posts, and notice I said in the Government's eyes (not yours or mine).He brought up the statement thatHE could be superior, and I was commenting on that.

As for INDIVIDUAL protection, you are right, there is no obligation. Police do not however have the luxury of choosing when and where we go. Dispatch prioritizes and sends units as they are needed. That does not mean that there will necessarily be a unit available (or in the vicinity) when a call is received.

It all comes down to funding and staffing, and many vote down levies to fund more Officers, and then gripe when "there's never a Cop around when you need one".

LEO 229

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:

OR:

This is because in some states... you can and cannot do things that you canin another state.

Imagine if all states were like Maryland and California!! There would be one law that covered all states the same. Gun laws would be very restrictive.

Machine guns... I cannot have one in Hawaii or Michigan but I can in Virginia. So I get options and can choose the state I want to live in.

So it is actually a good thing that the states to not all agree on certain laws.

They do enter into agreements as is the case for CC permits. But they can easily opt out if they want.

So if one state decides it will issue a permit to ANYONE with no training and Virginia does not like this... Virginia can withdraw from the agreement and not accept a CC permit from that state.

LEO 229

imported post

In regards to DC getting rifles.... I truly fail to understand why this is a big deal.

This has NOTHING to do with being equal or having unnecessary firepower against the citizens.

For the past 50+ years cops have been issued a handgun and if they are lucky... a shared shotgun in the cruiser.

They can carry only what the department approves them to carry.

But a citizen (or criminal) can own and carry anything up to and including a .50 cal rifle.

Many criminals have opted to using high power rifles.

Why? Because they can penetrate an officer's vest and kill him. They also have a longer range and are more accurate at close range than a pistol.

It is only in the past 5 years that departments have really jumped on board and started issuing out a few rifles.

It is not for some power trip reason... It is simply allowing officers to match the weapons being used against them.

400 cops using handguns alone could not stop two men with rifles!!!

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/6-cMIVNntHs&hl=en[/flash]

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
It is not a citizens job to provide protection to others, and most agree that they carry for personal defense.
It has been proven that it is not a cop's job either.
Damn......I'll tell dispatch to quit sending me to calls involving gunfire.
Johnny, the calls are coming in after the shots have been fired. That means something already happened. Are you going to protect someone at that point, or clean up the mess?