• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Minimum Age

HAPPY

imported post

I was just wondering what the minimum age to oc is becus on the frunt page it ses Minimum Age to OC No Statutory Limit so what does that meen ? :?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, HAPPY! Yes, you can open carry (unloaded) at 18. Here are the applicable laws.

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yes, it is legal for you to openly carry your firearm provided that you carry "Utah unloaded". This means with a semi-auto pistol your magazine can be full, but there cannot be a round in the chamber. With a revolver, there cannot be a round under the hammer or a round in the next firing position. Either way, Utah law requires two mechanical actions (rack the slide and pull the trigger, or pull the trigger twice) to fire in order to be considered unloaded.

Make sure you stay clear of school zones (1000+ from school), keep the firearm in plain view in your car or securely encased (not in glove box or center console) and do not enter secure areas (mental hospitals, airport secure areas, federal buildings, etc).

Pick up a copy of Mitch Vilos' Utah Gun Law, 3rd Edition, it will help you understand the Utah law much better and is only $20.

If you have other Q's, please ask. :D

HAPPY

imported post

man i am soo happy i thought i was going to hav to waght till i was 21 ill go and pick up that book becus im sur ill be a little parinoyd for a wile

:celebrate:celebrate

ScottyT

imported post

Get the book! I would recommend reading it at least twice and memorizing the applicable laws before you start OCing, it will make you much more confident!

You don't need to memorize the laws word for word, just learn the Title, Chapter and Section numbers and what each one talks about.

A lot of people also carry a small digital voice recorder to record any LEO/ignorant citizen encounters, most newer cell phones already have a voice recorder function built in. I highly recommend this practice and, though I haven't needed it yet, I carry one with me at all times.

For a quick over view of applicable laws, download my Utah Gun Law pamphlet over at utahconcealedcarry.com -- I don't have the link now, but I am sure someone will be kind enough to link it...

Try and make it out to the campout/shoot on June 14-15 to meet some great folks!

GeneticsDave

imported post

Not as long as it's not concealed. I wouldn't use an IWB holster as that might be misconstrued as concealing. Anything that puts the sidearm on the outside of your clothing and does not cover the entire weapon should be fine.

xmirage2kx

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
No rule against concealing ammunition as far as I know.

You should be good to conceal your ammo if desired. I wouldn't just toss a mag in your pocket though, lint, dirt, etc. Mag holster are cheap ($15 or less usually) and you can get CC or OC mag holsters.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:
No rule against concealing ammunition as far as I know.

You should be good to conceal your ammo if desired. I wouldn't just toss a mag in your pocket though, lint, dirt, etc. Mag holster are cheap ($15 or less usually) and you can get CC or OC mag holsters.
Or if you have a leatherman pouch hanging around doing nothing and don't intend to carry the leatherman everywhere, you can use that. I put one extra mag and a knife in mine.

rocknsnow

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Yes you can OC (Or get a maine permit and CC - See B1ack5mith for details) at age 18.
Having the main permit is great. I oc now and it is loaded. And when certain situations come up I have the ability to cc now. The maine permit is easy to get. Just need to be 18, fill out a little paperwork, get some photos and send it off.

Outsider

imported post

HAPPY wrote:
one mor question can i hav my extra mags concealed :question:
I carry an extra magazine in my pocket but some get a single case belt pouch for them, which I'm going to be looking into. Looks just like a Leatherman on your hip but secretly it is another 12 round pouch for making more holes in whatever you maybe shooting.

HAPPY

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:
Yes you can OC (Or get a maine permit and CC - See B1ack5mith for details) at age 18.
Having the main permit is great. I oc now and it is loaded. And when certain situations come up I have the ability to cc now. The maine permit is easy to get. Just need to be 18, fill out a little paperwork, get some photos and send it off.

wher wold i go to do that just a gun shop