• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safeway Foods

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Can you conceal carry in a Safeway or similar food store (like Giant) with a conceal carry license?

I ask due to this: "No person shall carry a concealed handgun into any place of business such as a restaurant, club or store, or special event for which a license to sell or serve alcoholic beverages on the premises has been granted by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board pursuant to Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia."

So did big grocery stores like Safeway have such a license?

hsmith

imported post

You can search the specific store through this website to find out: http://www.abc.virginia.gov/

Some Wegmans stores do have a ABC restaruant license now - though, they serve alcohol ON TAP in the store.

Safeway probably doesn't, because I don't know of a Safeway that does serve alcohol in the store.

If in doubt, OC.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Hmmm.... so do they usually have an ABC liquor sticker on the outside door or window?

For instance, even some Starbucks serve liquor I believe, but I don't think that prevents me from CCing in Starbucks (as long as it does not serve alcohol). ????

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
Can you conceal carry in a Safeway or similar food store (like Giant) with a conceal carry license?

I ask due to this: "No person shall carry a concealed handgun into any place of business such as a restaurant, club or store, or special event for which a license to sell or serve alcoholic beverages on the premises has been granted by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board pursuant to Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia."

So did big grocery stores like Safeway have such a license?
You got a different version that I. I copied this from the Virginia State Police web site, which says nothing about stores.

Where Unlawful to Carry
[align=left]§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.[/align]
[align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

caltain

imported post

Basically, the answer is yes, you can. The issue is not that they sell alcohol, but whether or not the ABC license allows consumption on premises. I've never heard of that being the case in a major chain grocery, but I suppose it could be out there somewhere... If they let you drink that thunderbird, you gotta OC.

Dan

hsmith

imported post

caltain wrote:
Basically, the answer is yes, you can. The issue is not that they sell alcohol, but whether or not the ABC license allows consumption on premises. I've never heard of that being the case in a major chain grocery, but I suppose it could be out there somewhere... If they let you drink that thunderbird, you gotta OC.

Dan
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/10494-1.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
A grocery store is not a restaurant or club.

That's why I asked. The excerpt the original poster used sounds quite official, but I don't see his wording in the statute I posted. I wonder where he got his excerpt, with the "or store" wording.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Tess wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

That's why I asked. The excerpt the original poster used sounds quite official, but I don't see his wording in the statute I posted. I wonder where he got his excerpt, with the "or store" wording.

Check it out.... I saw that the statute I quoted was an old one. The statute was updated, and the new statute is that you cannot CC if the place has CONSUMPTION. So they must have changed the law and made a distinction.

When I received my CC permit, it had the statutes in there, but I did not notice the addendum in the back in which it showed the change in the law.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
Tess wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Check it out.... I saw that the statute I quoted was an old one. The statute was updated, and the new statute is that you cannot CC if the place has CONSUMPTION. So they must have changed the law and made a distinction.

When I received my CC permit, it had the statutes in there, but I did not notice the addendum in the back in which it showed the change in the law.
I guess I really did pay attention during all those legal update in-service classes... :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the best answer is yes you can carry concealed in a grocery store, unless such store has a restaurant ABC license (ala Wegmans).