• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry day/weekend

abrink

imported post

I recently read something that said that gun owners across the nation are going to open carry on July 4th, 5th, and 6th (2008.) Is everyone on board? I also read that if you live in a state where open carry is prohibited you should wear an empty holster along with your concealed firearm(s).

I'd also like to know if this is the first you're hearing of it.

If you're a member of other forums please post it there also!

Prophet

imported post

ive heard of this going down. Though for me EVERYDAY is open carry day. But i hope the word spreads because its difficult feeling alone some times in a sea of antis

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Prophet wrote:
ive heard of this going down. Though for me EVERYDAY is open carry day. But i hope the word spreads because its difficult feeling alone some times in a sea of antis
+1 on everyday open carry

Prometheus

imported post

abrink wrote:
I recently read something that said that gun owners across the nation are going to open carry on July 4th, 5th, and 6th (2008.) Is everyone on board? I also read that if you live in a state where open carry is prohibited you should wear an empty holster along with your concealed firearm(s).

I'd also like to know if this is the first you're hearing of it.

If you're a member of other forums please post it there also!
Keeps popping up all over. Gennerally well accepted too. I'm looking forward to Independence Day and weekend even more than usual now!

:celebrate

GreenDrake

imported post

It's happening. I am new to this site and normally CC but I am on board for the 4th of July week. I have family coming to visit from Kalifornia, so it should really freak them out, but I have intended to start carrying OC when possible. I am a Realtor so it is still a bit offputting for my clients to see it unless I have qualified them as on our team, which I do try to do in polite conversation.

I read more and more articles about the "growing movement for open carry" and am inspired.

Harper1227

imported post

I should be OCing all that weekend. But I might be going to PA to a friend's family BBQ, what's PA like for OC? I'll have to check with the friend to see if his sis will mind, otherwise I may have to CC. I'm pretty sure my VA permit is good in PA...

But either way, I'm with you guys in spirit!!! :celebrate

bigtex31

imported post

i live in a state were i cant open carry i would like to carry open i think that it would cut down on crime.

Prophet

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
I should be OCing all that weekend. But I might be going to PA to a friend's family BBQ, what's PA like for OC? I'll have to check with the friend to see if his sis will mind, otherwise I may have to CC. I'm pretty sure my VA permit is good in PA...

But either way, I'm with you guys in spirit!!! :celebrate
Legally, PA is fine to OC while on foot without a permit, except for Philadelphia where you will need a permit to OC. You need a permit to drive while armed aswell. Other than that, minus a couple of run in with the cops that ended with department apologies OC is pretty well accepted in Pittsburgh. You may have some more hassles in Philadelphia but no one said defending your rights is a cakewalk. Enjoy your time in the Keystone State.

Harper1227

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Harper1227 wrote: Legally, PA is fine to OC while on foot without a permit, except for Philadelphia where you will need a permit to OC. You need a permit to drive while armed aswell. Other than that, minus a couple of run in with the cops that ended with department apologies OC is pretty well accepted in Pittsburgh. You may have some more hassles in Philadelphia but no one said defending your rights is a cakewalk. Enjoy your time in the Keystone State.
Wait! I need a permit to drive with my gun in PA? What about CC while driving? Does my VA permit cover that or CC in Philidelphia? That's nuts, i'm glad I asked, I had no idea.

imperialism2024

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
Prophet wrote:
Harper1227 wrote: Legally, PA is fine to OC while on foot without a permit, except for Philadelphia where you will need a permit to OC. You need a permit to drive while armed aswell. Other than that, minus a couple of run in with the cops that ended with department apologies OC is pretty well accepted in Pittsburgh. You may have some more hassles in Philadelphia but no one said defending your rights is a cakewalk. Enjoy your time in the Keystone State.
Wait! I need a permit to drive with my gun in PA? What about CC while driving? Does my VA permit cover that or CC in Philidelphia? That's nuts, i'm glad I asked, I had no idea.
IANAL, but if you have a VA permit, you can carry anywhere in Pennsylvania except in the secure areas in courthouses, and on Federal property.

Car transport is really only an issue for those without any permit from any state.

Oh, and stay away from schools. The brilliant GFSZ2 says that you're committing a crime if you're within 1000 feet of a K-12 school and don't have a permit from that state... even if you have a permit from a reciprocal state.