• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy - Carry Questions

swillden

imported post

alex1b wrote:
that is cheap, i may have to change the plan and do that first. i dont go to the U yet. i'm at slcc right now and i know its against policy to carry dangerous weapons.
SLCC is a state school and can't set any policy more restrictive than state law, just like the U. This means the rules are identical at both. CC and OC are both illegal on campus without a permit. Both are legal with a permit, although I think both institutions will try to hassle you over OC.

alex1b

imported post

yeah, i wouldnt OC on campus. doesnt seem like a good academic move for me. and in my opinion would be irresponsible because of the comotion it may cause.
i know they cant permit me from it but they could ask me to attend a different school

i'll see if i can get into one of the free classes soon then. now that i own a handgun, even a .22 it would be much easier and safer for me to have a permit. we live in a great state, i dont see a reason not to :)

i feel better that the gun can stay in my bag as long as its in the car for now. thanks for your help there.

i've always worried a gun might be hard to conceal since i'm an average sized guy and i never wear loose clothes. i wish there was a way to test drive different sizes of frames to see if its not too much hassle.

what do you guys think of the G23? good size?

swillden

imported post

alex1b wrote:
any other free classes in the near future? i didnt see any more
Oh, missed this.

Larry Correia of Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns (gun shop in Draper) offers free classes to college students, and I'm pretty sure Clark Aposhian does as well. I seem to recall some other CFP instructors making the same offer, but I don't recall their names.

alex1b

imported post

i'll have to track them down and see when they offer the next class

also see -- previous post :)
Last edited on Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 01:10 am by alex1b

xmirage2kx

imported post

76-10-501. Definitions.
(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.

There could be a question about what is "accessible for immediate use". Since fanny pack holsters are considered a common way to carry your Concealed firearm it wouldn't be a stretch to be charged with carrying a concealed weapon if you chose to "OC" this way. Now if you took an extra step and carried it in a case in your fanny pack/backpack I would say you are good. The phrase "Such as" means that these are examples that count, but not anall inclusive list, that further define what is/is not "accessible for immediate use".

Long story short if you choose to"OC" in a fanny packhave a good lawyer on retainer.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote
What about a fully zipped fanny pack without a CFP? This sounds the same to me.
By my reading of the law, a fully zipped REGULAR (IE non holster) fanny pack would qualify as not being concealed so long as the gun is at least "Utah" unloaded. HOWEVER, with fanny pack holsters being so common, I'd be a little hestitant to want to be the test case. A good lawyer would probably make the case that while a fanny pack holster has a quick access mechanism (usually velcro secured rip panel), a regular fanny pack is no more readily accessable than is a fully zippered gun case. And he might well prevail with such an argument. He should IMO. But it might be expensive. The prosecution might well argue that by virtue of WHERE and HOW the fanny pack is worn, the gun IS readily accessible to the user and therefore is concealed. I can just imagine such a case coming down to whether the fanny pack was worn around the back, or in the front of the wearer.

To be honest, I've never asked nor thought much about this one.

Just to be safe, and avoid such questions, before I had a permit (I avoided getting one for a long time out of philosophical objections) and needed or wanted to carry a gun I'd put the gun inside a zippered, soft sidec gun case. Then, I'd either carry that directly (such as to the range) OR put THAT into whatever I was carrying whether a book bag, attache case, or what not.