Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Voice Recorder

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

There seems to have been a rash of bad encounters with LE lately. In many cases officers are drastically overstepping their authority and lying about it in their reports.

It would seem it would only be prudent to carry and use a Digital Voice Recorder so one has evidence to prove ones case.

What features should one look for in a DVR? Any recommendations as to what to get and what to avoid?

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Sorry about replying to my own thread, but I wanted to keep MY answer separate from the question.

It seems to me necessary features are:

1. Concealability - So the evidence does not get confiscated

2. Long Battery Life

3. Ability to hook up to a computer to save the resulting audio file.

Post imported post

Found the PC-friendly equivalent of the Olympus model discussed in another thread.

Olympus VN-4100PC - $48.95

Doesn't appear to be sold by Amazon. However, you click on the "Used & New" link, click on the "New" tab (or just a few items down from the top of "All") and you can see that Amazon DOES carry it (closer to $50) and the shipping is free.
    Support these forums, please donate if you are able to OpenCarry.Org!

Post imported post

Also, make sure that the recorder will accommodate an external mic. Put the recorder in your pocket, and the mic on your shirt/jacket. You don't want to miss a syllable of of anything the LEO has to say.

Post imported post

ICD P520

This Sony is the one I use. I chose it over the Olympus because it has a provision for a lanyard that the Olympus did not appear to have (I couldn’t tell by looking through the packaging). I am using the lanyard from a small flashlight that has two sliders on it to adjust its length. I can wear it around my neck and adjust it so the recorder sits high on my chest. Although it picks up a lot of shirt rustling noises, it records conversation just fine. I can also plug in some white ear buds and it looks like an MP3 player. It can accommodate an external stereo microphone as well.
    [quote]
    ·PC Compatible via USB: Quickly and easily transfer your audio files to a computer for further processing or archiving.
    ·256MB Built-in Flash Memory : Available on the integrated circuit chip, which may be recorded over and used again with distortion-free clarity.
    ·Over 130 Hours of Recording Time in LP Mode: LP Mode gives you plenty of time to record everything you need.
    ·3 Recording Modes: Choose the quality of recording depending on how much time you need. Long Play(LP) 150h 15m, Standard Play(SP) 81h 15m and High Quality(HQ) 30h 25m.
    ·4 Message Folders: Keep your voice files organized. The 4 message folders can be used for different applications, such as business memos, correspondence, personal reminders, and more.
    ·Large LCD Display: Easily shows the number of messages recorded, recording length, date, time, and battery power remaining.
    ·Single Function Buttons on the Front Make the Unit Easier to Use: Easily access any of the functions on the Digital voice recorder using the ergonomic buttons that make controlling the unit easier.
    ·Digital VOR (Voice Operated Recording): Save valuable recording time. VOR stops the recording during silent pauses then begins recording again without missing a single syllable thanks to the Digital Buffer.
    ·Add Recording: Insert and add additional information to any message without affecting the original.
    ·Selectable Microphone Sensitivity (Hi/Lo): Record different situations, from group meetings to individuals, more effectively.
    ·Date and Time Stamp: let's you see the day and time you recorded your message on.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

You may want to play around with Wave to Text http://www.research-lab.com/vexp007read.htm

Post imported post

Refurbished Sony ICD-P520 for $50, plus a bunch of freebies:

http://www.tvps.com/Products/SONY-IC...PICD-P520.aspx

Post imported post

I use a Olympus VN-3100pc it has been great for when I get stopped so I can recall what happened, the power last along time on hold and it has about 72 hrs i think, plugs into a USB. I got it at Radio Shack. and its nice and small so I can carry it in my pocket

Post imported post

This might sound like a dumb question but I'll ask it anway. How do you go about turning it on? If you are being stopped by a LEO because of your gun one can assue he/she is watching you very closely. How do you reach into your pocket, on to your belt or where ever it might be without him/her noticing or misunderstanding your movement for something else?Like reaching for your weapon or attempting to hide something.:?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

In the case of the VN4100PC its long recording mode is good for 144 hours and with VOX capability. That's not the whole story, just a teaser but good enough for OCDO.

Post imported post

Has anyone tried this one? http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...95456#moreinfo

I can't find out if it has VOX or not. It does record 64 hours and have USB connection, and no lights - so you can just leave it in your shirt pocket like secret agent man. I figure since I have to carry a pen anyway it would be one less thing to remember.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
    This might sound like a dumb question but I'll ask it anway. How do you go about turning it on? If you are being stopped by a LEO because of your gun one can assue he/she is watching you very closely. How do you reach into your pocket, on to your belt or where ever it might be without him/her noticing or misunderstanding your movement for something else?Like reaching for your weapon or attempting to hide something.:?
    On the highest quality mode it will still record several hours of audio, so just turn it on before you go out the door, then if you have an "incident" you don't have to worry about fumbling for an on switch.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Sheepdawg wrote:
    On the highest quality mode it will still record several hours of audio, so just turn it on before you go out the door, then if you have an "incident" you don't have to worry about fumbling for an on switch.
    Sweet! Never even thought of that!

Post imported post

the cops are easy to see commin I just hit record when I see them comming

Post imported post

I don't see leaving it on all the time an option for me since I live in a state where I am required to notify those in the conversation that it is recording. I would put it somewhere with easy access away from my sidearm so I could just hit the record button at the start of the conversation. Even though they would see that it is recording I would inform them just to make sure they are aware. And if the officer told me to turn it off I would politely tell them that I do not need their consent, I only need to notify them.

Post imported post

I carry the Sony ICD-B500, mostly because I got it on an insane clearance at Best Buy for $8!!! I bought all they had (3) and shared the wealth with a few local OCers.

It doesn't have a USB plug or anything, but I couldn't pass on the price. Now I just have to figure out how to get the audio onto the computer...

I just did a search and found this:
    http://www.dak.com/reviews/2086story.cfm :celebrate

Problem solved

Post imported post

I created an account just to suggest this.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Watch-Ligh...037&sr=8-2

Wrist watch with voice recorder. I alas have no experence with any of these products, but it occured to me as the best way to make a recording without any one noticing.

Post imported post

joe456 wrote:
    I created an account just to suggest this.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Watch-Ligh...037&sr=8-2

Wrist watch with voice recorder. I alas have no experence with any of these products, but it occured to me as the best way to make a recording without any one noticing.
    I didn't even know those existed. Thanks for the info.

OH, and now that you took the time to create an account and all, why not stick around and continue contributing to the forum ...
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

The quality of the watch appears to be quite low, similar to the digital recording pen from China.

Post imported post

I am new here, but not new to the ways of the world. I can add a bit +1 to a generic MP3 watch with at LEAST 1GB of storage, preferably 2GB. Unfortunately in the world we live in today, videotaping the cops doing something wrong can get you tazed and shot with a beanbag or the tape destroyed, so you want to be as discrete as possible. I wouldn't go with an overt digital recorder or something that flashes or has "recorder or MP3 on it"

With a watch, you can just put your hand to your face ala "the thinker" statute, and catch all the juicy tidbits.

http://www.chinavasion.com/index.php...hes-mp3-watch/

Heres a list of watches from China. I picked THIS one

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...tch-2gb-flash/

Which has an added RF capability, so you can check your recording on the closest radio.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Removed outdated information.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

I just picked up the Olympus DS-30. Radio Shack has it on sale for $99.99 here:

I actually got mine at Staples, they price matched Radio Shack and that way I get to use my rewards card.

It records in stereo, is thinner and lighter than the Olympus VN models. The stereo mic unit comes off leaving a mono built in mic. Once you take the stereo mic off, you can plug a lapel mic into the jack.

I also picked up the Olympus TP-7 telephone pick-up. Neat little earbud that catches both sides of conversation at you use any phone handset. It is an omi-directional mic that seems to even record ok just hanging around your neck. Very discreet, catches all conversation without drawing attention to it.

The recorder has a nice build quality and the initial tests are promising. Seems to be a pretty good deal on a more high-end recorder. Will post more after I have put it through its paces.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast