• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Voice Recorder

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I just picked up the Olympus DS-30. Radio Shack has it on sale for $99.99 here:

32948636_640.jpg

I actually got mine at Staples, they price matched Radio Shack and that way I get to use my rewards card.

It records in stereo, is thinner and lighter than the Olympus VN models. The stereo mic unit comes off leaving a mono built in mic. Once you take the stereo mic off, you can plug a lapel mic into the jack.

I also picked up the Olympus TP-7 telephone pick-up. Neat little earbud that catches both sides of conversation at you use any phone handset. It is an omi-directional mic that seems to even record ok just hanging around your neck. Very discreet, catches all conversation without drawing attention to it.

olympus_145051.jpg

The recorder has a nice build quality and the initial tests are promising. Seems to be a pretty good deal on a more high-end recorder. Will post more after I have put it through its paces.

czth

imported post

This may not matter to most of you, but the Olympus DS-30/40/50 recorders work with Linux (they mount as an ordinary storage device), and the VN-series don't (they require proprietary Windows-only drivers). Just thought I'd share the results of my research.

RIAShooter

czth

imported post

This may not matter to most of you, but the Olympus DS-30/40/50 recorders work with Linux (they mount as an ordinary storage device), and the VN-series don't (they require proprietary Windows-only drivers). Just thought I'd share the results of my research.

John Hardin

imported post

Thanks for the Linux compatibility warning, czth.

How about this for a business idea: a 976 phone number that just answers and records, and the recording is available for streaming or download from a website. It'd be timestamped and difficult for either party to tamper with.

Then in a police encounter you can just call the number on your cell phone and drop the phone in your pocket or something else innocuous.

Advantage over portable digital audio recorder: the recording is not in your possession, so it cannot be confiscated and made to disappear. Disadvantage (same as portable digital audio recorder): it can be turned off if discovered.

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Pointman

imported post

Isn't there something like that in Virginia, something likePorcupine 9-1-1? There was a link on OpenCarryto a video where a fellow was stopped for open carry and was on his cell phone with the service, recording the conversation.

John Hardin

imported post

Isn't there something like that in Virginia, something likePorcupine 9-1-1?
That's in New Hampshire. Here's the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993520560846092014&q=open+carry+police+stop&ei=8b6ASPGEFYyg4ALH0sT-Cg&hl=en

It's not too obvious if you drop the phone into your shirt pocket (assuming you have such). Or you can do what Dave Ridley did and say "this conversation is being broadcast".

In the phone-only portion of the recording you can hear the officer fairly clearly as long as Dave Ridley is not also talking. And that's on a street with traffic.

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Pol Mordreth

imported post

[Crossposted from the TN forum]

Okay, I bought a recorder last night. Its an RCA RP5120A.

Pro's: 18 hr record time high quality / 104 hrs standard quality; USB connectivity, file management software (including edit / crop files), voice activated, date / time stamp, and its small - about the size of my mp3 player.

Con's: 2x AAA batteries, so no recharging the unit directly; no memory card slot.

Bought it at walmart for @ $30.00, plus another 20 in rechargable batteries and a charger. It's very light, fits comfortably in the pocket of a t-shirt without being too obvious. I can even plug in headphones and it will look like a music player to the casual eye. I can delete files directly on the player, so if I have it running while carrying and there are no incidents, I can just delete the whole days recording. Even had a 'bookmark' feature so you can mark where incidents occurred and cut off all theother stuff before / after the incident.Also, the microphone is on the top of the unit, so there is little 'pocket noise'. It alsohas alock switch so that once it's set to record on voice activate, you can lock the keys and continue on your merry way.

Still playing with the variable sensitivity for the voice activation, and I have no idea how long the batteries will last. All in all, it seems like it will do the job I have in mind.

Respectfully,

Pol

Edited to include more info

sraacke

imported post

I have the Sony ICD-P620. To learn about it go to- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665364006

My major problem with this model is that the PLAY/ENTER buttons on the face of the unit are not recessed. It's too easy to hit the RECORD button, put it in your pocket then, just by moving a bit and having your shirt press the Play button, Record stops and you are standing there listening to the playback. :banghead: If I manage to put it into my pocket and have it RECORD without my shirt fabric stopping the recording then I have lots of noise from the shirt moving back and forth near the microphone. I hear talking and lots of "Scratch..Scratch...boom...swoosh..." over the talking. Also, I rarely wear shirts with pockets. I have tried finding a belt pouch which would hold this recorder. The problem is, just like the shirt pocket, I hit RECORD, slip it into my scabbard and the first thing that happens is that the play button gets pushed against the inside of the scabbard. If I want to keep carrying this recorder I'm going to have to McGyver a sleeve to cover the buttons on the face of the device.

Just my experiance with this model in the real world.

JBinMontana

imported post

Something to try first if you have cellphone that has bluetooth. My phoneis record capable from the mic, and bluetooth. I gave it a test drive one day just walking into a place where others were around. Complete conversations from across the aisle in where I was at.

Most good cell phones are USB capable now anyway.

Just a thought, because I don't like carrying extra equipment around if I don't need to.

adamsesq

imported post

Another option that I have not seen mentioned is to call 911 on your cell phone as you are approached and leave the line open. It will be recorded in a way that cannot be made to disappear in an evidence room. In my state I am required to notify (not obtain consent) so I think I would even tell the officer "I am on the phone with 911 now..."

-adamsesq

swatpro911

imported post

Can the recordings be submitted to court in the event of something bad happens that may include the officer and the civilian? I am not sure on audio recording case, I thought only video is permitted. Please elaborate...

Pointman

imported post

Most likely the reason it was not suggested is because it would be considered a non-emergency call, and therefore the caller could be charged with a crime, depending on the local law. Ironically, the call would probably be used at the 9-9-1 trial ifthey decided to fight the charge of making a non-emergency call. Even more ironic is if a weapons enhancer to the crime was added because the caller was armed at the time.