• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

Obe

imported post

Leaning towards a long gun with pistol caliber bullets. Like a 9mm caliber. I know that might not be a whole lot of stopping power, so would you say the cost is a good tradeoff for the power, in terms of using it at a shooting range (simply to improve my accuracy.) and self defense?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lots of people here and everywhere carry 9mm pistols for self-defense. Stopping power is there if you put the rounds where they need to be.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Obe wrote:
Leaning towards a long gun with pistol caliber bullets. Like a 9mm caliber. I know that might not be a whole lot of stopping power, so would you say the cost is a good tradeoff for the power, in terms of using it at a shooting range (simply to improve my accuracy.) and self defense?
9mm is my favorite round, so far as the price VS power goes.

That said, go check out the Hi-Point 9mm Carbine. I just picked one up in 9mm for $170, and beyond not being pretty it's a damned good gun, made a few hours East of me in Ohio.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Obe wrote:
I think 9mm isperfectly adequate for the intended use.