• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

Obe

imported post

Hello all, I'm brank spanking new to these forums(Was referred by Dustin.), and I would just like to say that I am one hundred percent behind the right to carry a weapon in self defense, and defense of the innocent.

So let me tell you a little about myself and what brought me to these forums. I'm heading off to college in Tempe, Arizona. I visited before and my college neighborhood is somewhat shady, with a lot of grand theft auto activity.

So I've decided to purchase a gun. Specifically a handgun.

What I need from you helpful folk, is advice. I've scanned through the forums and haven't found anything too specific to my situation.

I'm 18 years old. So therefore I can't have a CCW. Arizona, luckily, allows for open carry. But I need to know the basics. So here are some questions I would like assistance with.

What steps do I need to take to own a weapon?
I know that I don't need a permit to open carry. But is there any other kind of permit to carry a handgun?(I plan to get a CCW as soon as I hit 21.)

Secondly, how mobile can I be with this weapon? I live in Massachusetts. Would I be able to take my weapon back under an Open Carry Policy?

As far as restrictions on where you can open carry, I understand that, but what do I do on a college campus? Surrender it campus police, and I can pick it up when I go out?

And finally the golden question, what gun would you suggest to a new shooter? Decent stopping power, and reasonable price range is what I'm looking for. I've saved a good amount of money for this.

Thank you. Have a good one. :)

rmodel65

imported post

welcome and check out you state specific section lots of good info to be found

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Obe wrote:
Hello all, I'm brank spanking new to these forums(Was referred by Dustin.), and I would just like to say that I am one hundred percent behind the right to carry a weapon in self defense, and defense of the innocent.

So let me tell you a little about myself and what brought me to these forums. I'm heading off to college in Tempe, Arizona. I visited before and my college neighborhood is somewhat shady, with a lot of grand theft auto activity.

So I've decided to purchase a gun. Specifically a handgun.

What I need from you helpful folk, is advice. I've scanned through the forums and haven't found anything too specific to my situation.

I'm 18 years old. So therefore I can't have a CCW. Arizona, luckily, allows for open carry. But I need to know the basics. So here are some questions I would like assistance with.

What steps do I need to take to own a weapon?
I know that I don't need a permit to open carry. But is there any other kind of permit to carry a handgun?(I plan to get a CCW as soon as I hit 21.)

Secondly, how mobile can I be with this weapon? I live in Massachusetts. Would I be able to take my weapon back under an Open Carry Policy?

As far as restrictions on where you can open carry, I understand that, but what do I do on a college campus? Surrender it campus police, and I can pick it up when I go out?

And finally the golden question, what gun would you suggest to a new shooter? Decent stopping power, and reasonable price range is what I'm looking for. I've saved a good amount of money for this.

Thank you. Have a good one. :)
step 1: buy a Glock 19 and a good bladetech, ravenconcealment or safariland hoster.
step 2: put XS Big Dot 24/7 sights on it
step 3: buy http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=2343 and this http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=3179
step 4: DO NOT EVER buy a serpa hoster, they are shit.
step 5: thank me later.

--

Do all that first, then worry about your CHL... if you can't shoot a paper target well, you will NOT shoot a person any better. IF you cannot hit a 1 inch dot at 10 feet (first try) with a Glock 19, then you are better off throwing your pistol at the bad guy.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
step 1: buy a Glock 19 and a good bladetech, ravenconcealment or safariland hoster.

Bravo Sierra, the OP stated that he's 18 years old. He cannot legally buy a firearm himself (unless his state makes the exception that he can purchase it from a private party), and if someone else buys it for him and he pays them back it's an illegal straw purchase. It's my understanding that he must be GIFTED the firearm from someone, and that is the only way that he can legally own it. Then he has the issue of buying ammunition for it, but at least if he gets someone else to do that for him it's not an illegalstraw purchase as far as I know.

PS, I am not a lawyer.

Oh, and Bravo Sierra, I don't know why you don't like the BlackHawk SERPA holster, but I've used them exclusively for the last 3 years and have had NO problems. Would you care to elaborate as to why you don't like them?

(Edited for content)

Obe

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Bravo Sierra, the OP stated that he's 18 years old. He cannot legally buy a firearm himself (unless his state makes the exception that he can purchase it from a private party), and if someone else buys it for him and he pays them back it's an illegal straw purchase. It's my understanding that he must be GIFTED the firearm from someone, and that is the only way that he can legally own it. Then he has the issue of buying ammunition for it, but at least if he gets someone else to do that for him it's not an illegalstraw purchase as far as I know.

PS, I am not a lawyer.

Oh, and Bravo Sierra, I don't know why you don't like the BlackHawk SERPA holster, but I've used them exclusively for the last 3 years and have had NO problems. Would you care to elaborate as to why you don't like them?

(Edited for content)
So someone would have to give me a gun as a gift for it to be legal, but they cannot specifically buy a gun for me, and have me pay them back.

What kind of backward logic is that? :banghead:

Is there no other way for me to purchase one legally in Arizona?

Obe

imported post

Did a bit more research, and apparently I can also buy one from a private party in a face to face transfer and that's legal, even if they do not have a FFL license.

Can I also be "gifted":banghead: or purchase ammunition for the handgun from a private party?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Obe wrote:
Can I also be "gifted":banghead: or purchase ammunition for the handgun from a private party?
Many long guns are chambered in handgun calibers, so you COULD say that the ammo was for a rife if you're asked about it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes you can purchase in face to face transactions in most places. I don't know about MA and would suggest you post your questions about acquiring a handgun in the MA forum as you guys have some messed up restrictive laws that may or may not effect this.

As to ammo, my understanding is that it doesn't have the same "straw purchase" issues that a handgun itself does. You just can't buy it yourself.

Obe

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Yes you can purchase in face to face transactions in most places. I don't know about MA and would suggest you post your questions about acquiring a handgun in the MA forum as you guys have some messed up restrictive laws that may or may not effect this.

As to ammo, my understanding is that it doesn't have the same "straw purchase" issues that a handgun itself does. You just can't buy it yourself.

So basically I can only purchase a handgun legally from a private party.

As far as ammo goes, I can have a friend purchase them for me, then pay them back, legally.

If those two statements are correct, (And correct me if they aren't.) then when I get to Arizona, I'm gonna have to find a private seller or collector of handguns, someone without a FFL license, buy the weapon from them, then I have to find an older friend willing to go buy the ammo for me, and pay him back for it. :banghead:

All to defend myself, and others. Well worth the effort IMO.

What of my odds of finding a private seller without a FFL license selling a certain gun and ammo I'm looking for in Arizona though?

Any other solutions to this?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If your parents are on board with your plans, they probably (I don't know MA law) can buy a pistol and gift it to you. If at some point you happened to give your parents say, rent money, that happened to equal the price of the firearm who would know the difference, sanctity of the home and all that.

There are numerous firearms forums online and many of them have for sale sections with lots of "ftf sales" (face to face sales). Unless you are looking for something strange or rare you will be likely to find someone from whom to buy what you are looking for BUT, I think you have to be a legal resident of the state for an ftf purchase, so if you are not changing your residency to AZ, you may have to buy the pistol in MA. Others on here remember these details better than I do and will chime in soon.

soloban

imported post

Just buy a short barreled 12 Ga. Pump Shotgun. You only need to be 18 to buy a long gun. That'll at least let you protect your apt and property until you can turn 21 and buy a handgun.

The other option would be for your parents to give you a Handgun as a graduation present.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:
Many long guns are chambered in handgun calibers, so you COULD say that the ammo was for a rife if you're asked about it.

He COULD say the ammo was for a rifle, but that would be committing a felony:
(snip)
To clear things up, I was not advocating that anyone commit a felony. I don't know if the OP has any rifles, and if he does what caliber they are, but if he DOES own a rifle that happens to be chambered in the same caliber as the handgun he will eventually own then he hypothetically COULD say thatthat was what theammo was for if he had every intention of using it in the rifle.

mzbk2l

imported post

Obe wrote:
So basically I can only purchase a handgun legally from a private party.

What of my odds of finding a private seller without a FFL license selling a certain gun and ammo I'm looking for in Arizona though?

Quite good, I'd say:

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/classifieds/Results?adLanguage=All&category=5435

There are around 100 posted every day on backpage. There's a Barrett M99 .50 cal for $5k right now, several Glocks, HKs, cheap revolvers, Beretta 92s, etc.

Obe

imported post

Stupid that I could own a weapon capable of inflicting more damage (A long gun.) rather then a handgun. :banghead:

So I guess I'll have to come up with more dough to purchase a long gun. Any suggestions for a first time shooter? Affordable, and decent protection is what I'm looking for. Open carry mind you, so try not to make the suggested weapon too large.

Thank you for all the help btw fellas, I really appreciate it. :)

Interesting link there for private gun sales. Thanks!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Obe wrote:
Stupid that I could own a weapon capable of inflicting more damage (A long gun.) rather then a handgun. :banghead:

So I guess I'll have to come up with more dough to purchase a long gun. Any suggestions for a first time shooter? Affordable, and decent protection is what I'm looking for. Open carry mind you, so try not to make the suggested weapon too large.

Thank you for all the help btw fellas, I really appreciate it. :)

Interesting link there for private gun sales. Thanks!

If you can, I'd still try to find a way to get a handgun legally. It'd be much easier to open carry. Sitting down with a rifle on your back at a resturaunt may be difficult.

If you'll go with a rifle, I'd go for something smaller. Some ideas if I were tolook at riflesinclude the M1 Carbine, an AK underfolder, a leveraction gun maybe. I might even consider a small .22 like a ruger 10/22 compact but it may not be the best for protection. It'd be light though. A walther G22 may be even lighter and shorter, but there are no hi-cap magazines and it isalso is in .22. A Beretta CX4 would also be a pretty cool carbine in 9mm, .40, or .45.

A Kel-Tec sub-2000 or SU-16 may also be interesting choices as they fold in half making them more compact for carry. (Sub-2000 is pistol caliber, Su-16 is .223) On Kel-Tecs website it says the sub-2000 folds down to 16".

There are also a wide variety of shotguns out there. Oh yeah, and Hi-points 9mm carbine is extremely affordable, although almost as ugly as it is affordable. There is also the Feather Rav carbines but those are usually quite expensive and hard to find. If you only had $70, you could get a bolt-action Mosin M44, but I wouldn't recommend it for carrying due to it being bolt action as well as heavy.