Thread: Open carry for out-of-staters

Post imported post

Got a question for Oregonians. We are going to be visiting this weekend and area little confused about the open carry law in your state. If I'm reading the statutes correctly, we can open carry legally in the state, except where prohibited by local city regulations. My wife and I both have our Utah CW permit and our understanding is that Oregon does not reciprecate with Utah.

So what do we need to know to make sure we travel safely and legally in your state? We would appreciate any help you can offer.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Sound's to me like you already understand it.

Cannot open-carry where prohibited by city regulations. Oregon does not recognize your Utah permit. And you can't go into public buildings like hospitals, capitol building, college, city hall, etc..no post office or federal property.

Post imported post

East of the Cascades you're good to open carry everywhere except Bend City Parks. West of the Cascades is more complicated. I'm here for review myself. Portland is no good. Oregon City, Beaverton, Tigard....Help me out here Oregonians!

MD

Post imported post

Oregon is a open carry state but some cities in Oregon have bans on loaded firearms in public places unless you have a CHL.

The cities that have bans are:

The Dalles
    Beaverton
    Oregon City
    Bend
    Independence
    Salem
    Tigard
    Portland

Post imported post

Bend banned weapons in the city parks only, CHL negates that via 166.173. OC is legal otherwise in Bend and the rest of Deschutes Co.

Post imported post

No NAU wrote:
    Bend banned weapons in the city parks only, CHL negates that via 166.173. OC is legal otherwise in Bend and the rest of Deschutes Co.
    The Bend statute is found here:
    http://www.ci.bend.or.us/online_form...s_05_04_08.pdf

5.320 Section (l) Except those persons authorized to carry firearms under ORS 166.260, no person shall possess a loaded firearm in the park.

So it appears you can open carry in a Bend park, but the city statute prevents posession of a loaded firearm in the park, as is allowed to do by ORS 166.173. That ORS allows exceptions for Law Enforcement and Military in the performance of official duty, and CHL holders.

However, the Bend statute says those listed in ORS 166.260 are also exempt:

ORS 166.260 :
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

...Orygunner....

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for the information. You all been very helpful. We'll make sure to carrywithin the laws for your state.