• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neg experience at work

sectorsight

imported post

A few weeks ago at work I recieved an email from someone in HR stating someone had claimed seeing me walking around with my firearm pointed at the ceiling. The part that I would find humorous if it weren't so serious is that at the time this "happened" I was not in the building at all. I had to go to the post office and thus left my sidearm locked in my desk. I made a stop at a 7-11 after the Post Office and my total trip was about 40 minutes with the long line at the post office. When I came back my weapon was not unlocked until the end of the work day. I made it clear I was not even in the building, and all is well with the comapany, however if this was said to a police officer outside my face would be on the asphalt so fast. All names and location have been ommited.

sectorsight

imported post

yes, there are several people on my floor that carry. I have a stainless 1911 and the closest gun that looks like mine is a stainless 45 of a different model. I do not believe it was a case of mistaken identity.

Edit: Most people who carry, OC

Decoligny

imported post

I would find out what recourse you have for someone filing false reports about you to HR. I would ensure that at least a record of the complaint filer was kept so that any future "harrassment" would have documented proof behind it.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I would find out what recourse you have for someone filing false reports about you to HR. I would ensure that at least a record of the complaint filer was kept so that any future "harrassment" would have documented proof behind it.

What he said. Plus I don't think you should do this only for if it happens in the office again. Imagine if this person actually tells the police instead due to a possible personal agenda against weapons. This way, at least you will have some sort of documentation that they've lied about it before. Not that it would necessarily help you at the time, but you can later show that it's been going on.

sectorsight

imported post

I was going to pursue this till all my routes have been exhausted, however this individual is leaving the company so I have dropped it. I think keeping a record filed with HR is a good idea though. For full disclosure, I have been absolved of any and all possible wrong doing by this dept

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sectorsight wrote:
I was going to pursue this till all my routes have been exhausted, however this individual is leaving the company so I have dropped it. I think keeping a record filed with HR is a good idea though. For full disclosure, I have been absolved of any and all possible wrong doing by this dept

Do NOT believe this even if you have a notartized statement from HR, the head of the company, and every single stockholder. What you need is your statement that you were not in the building at the time of the alleged incident, as well as corroborating statements from other employees on your floor and elsewhere in the building. If you happen to have a receipt from the Post Office that shows you were there at the time of the alleged incident, put that in the file as well.

Why do I suggest all this, when you, your boss and HR know the allegation was false? Because some day you are going to want tobe working somewhere else, and this little episode could come bacl to haunt you unless you have all your documentation together. Or worse, the departing employee who seems to have made the allegation, may decide to come back later and complain officially that your boss and the current HR folks did not properly investigate.

Yes, this is coming from somebody who usually does not give a rip about folks getting all upset on seeing a handgun. This seems to have a lot of malice behind it, and you need to protect yourself.

stay safe.

skidmark

hsmith

imported post

skidmark wrote:
sectorsight wrote:

Do NOT believe this even if you have a notartized statement from HR, the head of the company, and every single stockholder. What you need is your statement that you were not in the building at the time of the alleged incident, as well as corroborating statements from other employees on your floor and elsewhere in the building. If you happen to have a receipt from the Post Office that shows you were there at the time of the alleged incident, put that in the file as well.

Why do I suggest all this, when you, your boss and HR know the allegation was false? Because some day you are going to want tobe working somewhere else, and this little episode could come bacl to haunt you unless you have all your documentation together. Or worse, the departing employee who seems to have made the allegation, may decide to come back later and complain officially that your boss and the current HR folks did not properly investigate.

Yes, this is coming from somebody who usually does not give a rip about folks getting all upset on seeing a handgun. This seems to have a lot of malice behind it, and you need to protect yourself.

stay safe.

skidmark
Agree 100%. Peoples word is worthless.

possumboy

imported post

All I could think of while reading this:

1) Get your side documented. If the incident is on record, have the resolution on record, get copies and keep them in a safe place.

2) Can you call and report this person for "walking around the office with their head up their butt"?

caltain

imported post

I agree with most of the previous posts, I'd at least get an original letter stating that the allegation was investigated by HR or whomever and found to be baseless and impossible, as you were proven to be absent from the scene at the time of the alleged incident.

Personally, I'd get the weenie fired then sue him for slander, or libel if the weiner put it writing, or defamation of character. Maybe all three.

Dan aka caltain

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm going to take the road less traveled here and suggest talking to the person who reported you. Have they ever done this to anyone else on your floor, you say that you're not the only one who carries. Also is there any possibility that they saw you unholster your weapon to lock it up and during that time perceived you handling it in an unsafe manner?

sectorsight

imported post

I was outside the building from anywhere from 20-30 minutes at the time of the report. There was no way I was holstering it. He may have seen someone else holster a weapon, but that is still a far cry from what probably happened.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sectorsight wrote:
I was outside the building from anywhere from 20-30 minutes at the time of the report. There was no way I was holstering it. He may have seen someone else holster a weapon, but that is still a far cry from what probably happened.
Okay, so they phoned in the report as they said it was happening. I got the impression that it was something they reported after the fact, in which case the alleged time could have been off.

sectorsight

imported post

phoned or emailed, it was reported while I was out of the office. I requested a copy of my HR records which was close to 100 pages, and there was nothing in there about the incedent. I was assured this was not in there, and I trust this person completely.