Thread: Notice Me!!!

Post imported post

It has been about 3 months since I started OCing and I have really been loving it! I have had multiple positive experiences with curious and supportive passerby, and I expect to have many more such experiences. The thing is, I have all these laws memorized and I never find myself with an occasion to quote them!

It isn't that I want confrontation -- I DON'T -- but it is crazy that nobody ever notices!

I went to Wal Mart at 10pm last night, dressed in my usual summer attire of shorts, sandals and a t-shirt (a camo t-shirt!). I pulled into the parking lot and parked right next to 2 Salt Lake County Sherrif's Office vehicles. "Could this finally be my elusive first encounter with LEO?" I asked myself. "Why does TJ get to have all the fun?"

So I turned on my voice recorder and and walked inside. The greeter was a woman who was probably in her 50s, which I thought might get some sort of reaction with my strong side only 10 feet from her, but alas, she turned her back to fiddle with her little radio just as I walked in.

Got a couple looks, joked with a guy and his wife while shopping for cold cuts (nothing firearms related, they never saw it), did my shopping, checked out and walked dejectedly back to my car -- the Sherrif's Deputies had left...

Guess I better get used to the uneventful life of an OCer...

...unless WVCPD would be so kind as to show up at lunch today! :celebrate

Post imported post

Sheesh Scotty, sounds like ya'r 'a lookin' fer trouble matey!

Post imported post

Sorry about the pirate thing, my kid is really into it right now, so it's rubbed off a bit

Post imported post

I realize that is how it sounds, but honestly I am not! Just waiting for my chance to edumacate someone I guess.... :P

Post imported post

Ok, that's cool, as long as it's the edumacation part I'd hate to see anything happen to you guys

Post imported post

people probably notice, they either don't care or don't want to say anything about it.

Post imported post

Yeah, probably. (to above)

When my wife carries she gets asked about it 10 times more than I do. I gues a 5'6" woman is more approachable than a 6'5" 230lb dude with shaggy hair and a beard...

Post imported post

I have hardly had any encounters either. Last night I had one with an older couple. She first asked if I was a off duty LEO. I said that I wasn't and she told me that she was impressed that a kid my age (I am almost 21) would be willing to excercise my right to protect myself and the ones I care about. I thought it was nice to be thanked for ocing.

Post imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
    I have hardly had any encounters either. Last night I had one with an older couple. She first asked if I was a off duty LEO. I said that I wasn't and she told me that she was impressed that a kid my age (I am almost 21) would be willing to excercise my right to protect myself and the ones I care about. I thought it was nice to be thanked for ocing.
    Wish there were more comments like that. I sometimes feel like taking a poll with anyone that glances at my firearm, stop them and say, "May I ask you a few questions? How did it make you feel to see a gun? Did it alarm you? Did you want to call the cops?" Blah blah blah blah. Be interesting to do but would have to do that very tactfully.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

You crack me up Charlie.

Post imported post

I've never had a comment about OCing, not even at the airport.

I OC around Provo, Orem, and Sandy. OK, OC'ed. New job now and no reason to travel out there anymore.

Well, there was one comment while I was CC'ing. Guy almost fainted when the Provo police told him I was carrying a weapon. Hethreatened mewith acts of violence - many in the presence of the officer. The Officer told him he surprised that I didn't shoot him.

All this was over me getting stuck in a crosswalk at 100 N and University because of an ambulance and the light turning red. This "father of the year" used his jogging stroller to put a major dent in the rental car. OH, yeah, his four (4) year old daughter was in the stroller!

Funny thing was, when I got out to look at the damage, he said I had an anger issue.

Post imported post

Wear a hat like Danbus, maybe that will help.

Post imported post

I've had a few chances to educate a few people, but the police are very hard to educate in my area.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I've had a few chances to educate a few people, but the police are very hard to educate in my area.
    Educate them with a "Zohan Double Foot" to the face!

Post imported post

That might be the only way that will work.

Post imported post

Has anyone tried lacing donuts with memory pills? :what:

Post imported post

You know, as funny as the Zohan double foot would be, I think they would shoot me in the name of officer safety.

Post imported post

Outsider wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:
    Educate them with a "Zohan Double Foot" to the face!
    Tae Kwan Leap Boot to the Head

Post imported post

I had forgotten about Boot to the head. Funny funny stuff.

Still think they'd shoot me though.

Post imported post

ScottyT said:
    It has been about 3 months since I started OCing and I have really been loving it! I have had multiple positive experiences with curious and supportive passerby, and I expect to have many more such experiences. The thing is, I have all these laws memorized and I never find myself with an occasion to quote them!
    It's good you have the laws memorized. But don't rush the desire to share them.

When you share with the public, remember you are sharing ideas, laymans rights (by this I mean you are quoting the second amendment per-se, not word for word, but in your own words), and your own experiences. You reference the public to this sight where they begin learning the laws word for word.

When you share the laws word for word as you have them memorized, it will be in a court of law and you will most likely be defending yourself from some rookie of a cop who thinks he has all the power. You've read and possibly experienced some of these. It was mentioned on another post that TJ has had a run in with these. He's still waiting to see if he honored with "disturbing the peace".

Remember, your job is to know your job and the officers job as well as thejudges job. And then when you get into court, you educate them on their job by due process. THEN you will receive the respect you are looking for. Trust me, don't rush it. Best thing to do is spend $67.00on the "Utah rules of court" procedure and educate yourself on the procedures of court. Or hire an attorney.

Outsider said:
    Wish there were more comments like that. I sometimes feel like taking a poll with anyone that glances at my firearm, stop them and say, "May I ask you a few questions? How did it make you feel to see a gun? Did it alarm you? Did you want to call the cops?" Blah blah blah blah. Be interesting to do but would have to do that very tactfully.
    There is a tactful way to do this. When there are a couple people here OC'ing to some walmart or other public place, tag along without carrying. Don't carry any dialog with them, just follow along behind. When you see someone glancing or talking in whispers about them carrying, go approach them in a third party attitude. Start a friendly conversation with them regarding someone carrying and ask your questions.You'll find people will open up quite readily when talking of someone else. You'll be able to get their oppinions. Then you can all run over to lunch and discuss your findings.

Post imported post

What a good way to do that. I won't be doing, but someone should.

Post imported post

I'm new at this, but my experience was with a friend who wasn't carrying openly. He said that he was able to notice more people looking:what:at me than I was simply because they would look away when I was looking at them. I have thought it would be interesting to tag along with someone who was OCing just to notice what the general publics reactions would be.

Also does anyone ever OC at the wallyworld at 1300s 200w? Just wondering if anyone has had an experience there one way or another.

Post imported post

MountainManXD wrote:
    Also does anyone ever OC at the wallyworld at 1300s 200w? Just wondering if anyone has had an experience there one way or another.
    Yeah, I used to go to that WW before the one in Centerville was finished. I OCd there quite a few times - definitely want to carry at that place - it's pretty ghetto (at least as far as SLC goes). No problems on my end - used to buy a lot of ammo and kitchen stuff there - oh and socks... gotta have socks... :celebrate

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    MountainManXD wrote:
    Yeah, I used to go to that WW before the one in Centerville was finished. I OCd there quite a few times - definitely want to carry at that place - it's pretty ghetto (at least as far as SLC goes). No problems on my end - used to buy a lot of ammo and kitchen stuff there - oh and socks... gotta have socks... :celebrate
    "Gotcha have my socks." Sounds like the Corn Pops, "gotcha have my pops." LoL!!! I think I might buy ammo at Walyworld this week because they have some cheaper stuff then Gunnies.

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    Thanks Dave, and yeah as far as WW goes it is a little more on the ghetto side. Maybe I will OC there next.