• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notice Me!!!

ScottyT

imported post

It has been about 3 months since I started OCing and I have really been loving it! I have had multiple positive experiences with curious and supportive passerby, and I expect to have many more such experiences. The thing is, I have all these laws memorized and I never find myself with an occasion to quote them!

It isn't that I want confrontation -- I DON'T -- but it is crazy that nobody ever notices!

I went to Wal Mart at 10pm last night, dressed in my usual summer attire of shorts, sandals and a t-shirt (a camo t-shirt!). I pulled into the parking lot and parked right next to 2 Salt Lake County Sherrif's Office vehicles. "Could this finally be my elusive first encounter with LEO?" I asked myself. "Why does TJ get to have all the fun?"

So I turned on my voice recorder and and walked inside. The greeter was a woman who was probably in her 50s, which I thought might get some sort of reaction with my strong side only 10 feet from her, but alas, she turned her back to fiddle with her little radio just as I walked in.

Got a couple looks, joked with a guy and his wife while shopping for cold cuts (nothing firearms related, they never saw it), did my shopping, checked out and walked dejectedly back to my car -- the Sherrif's Deputies had left...:cry:

Guess I better get used to the uneventful life of an OCer...

...unless WVCPD would be so kind as to show up at lunch today! :celebrate

ScottyT

imported post

Yeah, probably. (to above)

When my wife carries she gets asked about it 10 times more than I do. I gues a 5'6" woman is more approachable than a 6'5" 230lb dude with shaggy hair and a beard...

rocknsnow

imported post

I have hardly had any encounters either. Last night I had one with an older couple. She first asked if I was a off duty LEO. I said that I wasn't and she told me that she was impressed that a kid my age (I am almost 21) would be willing to excercise my right to protect myself and the ones I care about. I thought it was nice to be thanked for ocing.

Outsider

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I have hardly had any encounters either. Last night I had one with an older couple. She first asked if I was a off duty LEO. I said that I wasn't and she told me that she was impressed that a kid my age (I am almost 21) would be willing to excercise my right to protect myself and the ones I care about. I thought it was nice to be thanked for ocing.

Wish there were more comments like that. I sometimes feel like taking a poll with anyone that glances at my firearm, stop them and say, "May I ask you a few questions? How did it make you feel to see a gun? Did it alarm you? Did you want to call the cops?" Blah blah blah blah. Be interesting to do but would have to do that very tactfully.

possumboy

imported post

I've never had a comment about OCing, not even at the airport.

I OC around Provo, Orem, and Sandy. OK, OC'ed. New job now and no reason to travel out there anymore.

Well, there was one comment while I was CC'ing. Guy almost fainted when the Provo police told him I was carrying a weapon. Hethreatened mewith acts of violence - many in the presence of the officer. The Officer told him he surprised that I didn't shoot him.

All this was over me getting stuck in a crosswalk at 100 N and University because of an ambulance and the light turning red. This "father of the year" used his jogging stroller to put a major dent in the rental car. OH, yeah, his four (4) year old daughter was in the stroller!

Funny thing was, when I got out to look at the damage, he said I had an anger issue.

thx997303

imported post

You know, as funny as the Zohan double foot would be, I think they would shoot me in the name of officer safety.

Hangman

imported post

ScottyT said:
It has been about 3 months since I started OCing and I have really been loving it! I have had multiple positive experiences with curious and supportive passerby, and I expect to have many more such experiences. The thing is, I have all these laws memorized and I never find myself with an occasion to quote them!
It's good you have the laws memorized. But don't rush the desire to share them.

When you share with the public, remember you are sharing ideas, laymans rights (by this I mean you are quoting the second amendment per-se, not word for word, but in your own words), and your own experiences. You reference the public to this sight where they begin learning the laws word for word.

When you share the laws word for word as you have them memorized, it will be in a court of law and you will most likely be defending yourself from some rookie of a cop who thinks he has all the power. You've read and possibly experienced some of these. It was mentioned on another post that TJ has had a run in with these. He's still waiting to see if he honored with "disturbing the peace".

Remember, your job is to know your job and the officers job as well as thejudges job. And then when you get into court, you educate them on their job by due process. THEN you will receive the respect you are looking for. Trust me, don't rush it. Best thing to do is spend $67.00on the "Utah rules of court" procedure and educate yourself on the procedures of court. Or hire an attorney.

Outsider said:
Wish there were more comments like that. I sometimes feel like taking a poll with anyone that glances at my firearm, stop them and say, "May I ask you a few questions? How did it make you feel to see a gun? Did it alarm you? Did you want to call the cops?" Blah blah blah blah. Be interesting to do but would have to do that very tactfully.
There is a tactful way to do this. When there are a couple people here OC'ing to some walmart or other public place, tag along without carrying. Don't carry any dialog with them, just follow along behind. When you see someone glancing or talking in whispers about them carrying, go approach them in a third party attitude. Start a friendly conversation with them regarding someone carrying and ask your questions.You'll find people will open up quite readily when talking of someone else. You'll be able to get their oppinions. Then you can all run over to lunch and discuss your findings. ;)