• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Instructor

DJ_Amish

imported post

I am interested in becoming a firearm instructor. Where should I look for information and how to get started on this? Thanks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DJ_Amish wrote:
I am interested in becoming a firearm instructor. Where should I look for information and how to get started on this? Thanks.
If I lived in your area, I'd be the first to sign up. I wanta see the judge's face when he sees my CCW permit application and the proof of competency certificate says my instructor was "Amish." :)

DJ_Amish

imported post

reason I am wanting to do this is where i am from.. (amish Area) its a pretty small county.. 15000 ppl and i want to get as many ppl involved as I can. I worked as a deputy sheriff from 1996 to 2000 and left to come to columbus to go to school. I am now going back to that area because my daughter lives there and family. I thought about going through OPOTA again. For the past 4 yrs I worked as a corrections officer with the state. I was also an instuctor with shotguns and helped with the training but that was only with the dept of corrections. So i was looking at maybe doing the NRA instructor course? anyone have suggestions?

And Amish is a good nickname.. I will even wear my straw hat and overalls on the range if you want lol

Samuel Adams

imported post

DJ_Amish wrote:
reason I am wanting to do this is where i am from.. (amish Area) its a pretty small county.. 15000 ppl and i want to get as many ppl involved as I can. I worked as a deputy sheriff from 1996 to 2000 and left to come to columbus to go to school. I am now going back to that area because my daughter lives there and family. I thought about going through OPOTA again. For the past 4 yrs I worked as a corrections officer with the state. I was also an instuctor with shotguns and helped with the training but that was only with the dept of corrections. So i was looking at maybe doing the NRA instructor course? anyone have suggestions?

And Amish is a good nickname.. I will even wear my straw hat and overalls on the range if you want lol
Does that mean that you rode a horse and buggy on patrol too??? :cool:

Legba

imported post

The Amish are allowed to use guns for hunting. They occasionally come to the shop here (with a hired driver).

As for certifications, I really couldn't say how to get NRA (or comparable) certification, apart from calling the NRA and asking directly. My formal training consists of a few safety films I saw in grade school. I have been invited to an IDPA competition, so I may look into getting some kind of credentials myself down the road.

-ljp

XD-40-Bob

imported post

I took my CCW Class on June 7th and talked to my instructor about becoming a CCW instructor.

He told me you have to be a member of the NRA and to go to the back of the Magazine that you get from the NRA and on the back it says Education or something to that effect, but call that number and the NRA will give/send you a list of instructor trainers in your area and then you contact them.

He also told me that the course teaches Rifle and Shotgun, and a short Pistol course AGAIN because the instructor wants you to see how HE teaches the course and then you can add,subtract or totally teach the course anyway you want too.

Now this is NRA instructors, I think an LEO can also teach the course but MAYBE he doesn't have to be NRA Certified, I may be wrong on the LEO part though?

My instructor said he had to pay $80 for the instructor course but he has made WELL OVER the $80 fee he paid, plus he is Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun certified now.

I am thinking of doing it just because I live in "Hillbilly" Country and it was hard to find an instructor around here, especially one that charged under $125, my Class was $35, but the guy that lives behind me had an instructor come to his house because we both have our own ranges on our property but I figured I could cater to people with their own ranges on THEIR land.

I have to GET my CCW before I apply for the instructor course, I submitted my CCW application and $55 to the Tuscarawas County Sheriff's office on Wednesday June 11th and am awaiting their phone call to pick it up.

Moon Doggie