• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Gun Store on Trop

icode

imported post

For those of you who don't know on the 1st and 3rd Friday of ever month they hold a two hour firearms safety class at 9:00am. The price is good, $0.00, that's right free. Anyone been to it? Just wondering if it would be a good thing for me and my wife to go to. She has pretty much 0 experience with firearms, but she would like to.

Shane.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

No. What you get is some fuckin' fossil that tells inane unrealistic stories for 8 hours, then tells you his opinions and not facts. He's the prick that told me that OC was illegal.

P.S.

Go to American Shooters on Spring Mountain and Arville.

3440 Arville Street
Las Vegas, NV
Phone: 702.362.1223

Vegassteve

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
No. What you get is some fuckin' fossil that tells inane unrealistic stories for 8 hours, then tells you his opinions and not facts. He's the prick that told me that OC was illegal.

P.S.

Go to American Shooters on Spring Mountain and Arville.

3440 Arville Street
Las Vegas, NV
Phone: 702.362.1223
I guess you are talking about Tony??? He states very openly on his CCW class that OC is perfectly legal.Why he would tell you different I do not know.Now if you had also read the original question this fellow had asked maybe you could have given a good answer. He wants to know about a free 2 hour class thats not what you are talking about. I would say if its free and you have the 2 hours to kill then do it.

Marco

imported post

I have taken their CCW class and was happy with it, haven't taken the 2hr safety class.
If you have the time it is probably worth your time as a refresher or a base.

As for the CCW instructors Tony and Bob (owner) both are extremely knowledgeable.

There are other instructors that teach at the GSbut I haven't been to their class and they might be full of shit.

The way B_S feels about the GS's classes is how I view American Shooters, with the exception of Bill (personal friend).

Floyd at Master Shooter's also has a Basic class (not his CCW class) but he charges/d $25 for it.
Decent class, excellent guy.

There is also Leon and Victorat Center Mass Firearms in Henderson both are long times friends, haven't taken their class but have shot with them.

Mike over at Discount Firearms also has classes as well as Jim Mayhew?(spelling).

EDIT:
B.S.to B_S didn't want to be disrepectful.:cool:

icode

imported post

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on y'all! Bravo - I knew I could count on you for an emotional response:DI wish I had your passion, oh wait, I did 20 years ago, thanks! I'm just looking to get my wife (mostly) un-afraid, she likes to shoot and we have gone gun shopping for her but her lack of knowledge makes her afraid. BTW She's leaning toward a revolver, probably .357 chambered in .38.

Thanks again for all the info, and B_S, I'm just ribbin' you man.

Shane.

Marco

imported post

From what you just posted I recommend Floyd's class.

Master Shooter Supply
4017 W. Sahara Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89102
702-362-9535

His basic pistol class is geared towards the timid and new shooter.
At one time he offered the class for free if you bought a new gun from him (he still might).

Tell himI (pm sent)sent you and he might do something special for you,;).
probably charge you twice as much then kick you out

Edit:
forgot something

Marco

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
There is also Leon and Victorat Center Mass Firearms in Henderson both are long times friends, haven't taken their class but have shot with them.

Just found out Leon, Center Mass Firearms in Henderson isn't allowing OC in his Gun shop/ Range.

I no longer recommend his shop.

icode

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

Just found out Leon, Center Mass Firearms in Henderson isn't allowing OC in his Gun shop/ Range.

FWIW - from me... Agent19 is one hell of a stand up guy!

Shane.

Vegassteve

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

WOW that is just dumb. I had never been there but I am in the market for some new pistols. I had them on my list to visit this wee. Now they will NEVER see my face. I do not understand a gun shop that does not wish to honor the law.

icode

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

WOW that is just dumb. I had never been there but I am in the market for some new pistols. I had them on my list to visit this wee. Now they will NEVER see my face. I do not understand a gun shop that does not wish to honor the law.

There is a fairly new (I think) shop on Arroyo Grande and Warm Springs (behind the Dairy Queen) called Black Rifle Armory. I have been in there 3 times, only one time OC plus had a pistol in my hand that I was shopping for a holster for. The people were polite and VERY helpful every time. They seem to have pretty good prices and a good selection of weapons. They don't have a great selection of holsters and such. I will be taking a buddy over there soon for a Remington 12guage. And of course I will be OC'ing. I'll let you know how that goes.

ETA: Their phone number is 558-4140.

icode

imported post

Update: I went there tonight, OC'ing with my son and my friend. No one said a word about my side arm, it was accepted as it should be. My friend recieved all the help and service that one would expect from a store and purchased a Remington 870, plus several boxes of 00 buck. All was well and I reccommend this store, enthusiastically.

Shane.

Marco

imported post

Shane,
Thanks for the compliment.

Maybe, send Leon a copy of the receipt.
The receipt let's him know he lost a real customer not just someone browsing.

[line]

I can understanda sign that states all firearms need to holstered or cased and unloaded.
Cased & unloadedfor thosewishing to try holsters, trade or have them repaired.

But a sign asking people not enter with a loaded gun isdumb.

[line]

When inLas Vegas I'll continue to do business with Floyd @ Master Shooter's on Sahara between Valley View and Arville.

He has a limited supply of new guns,but I usually know what I want and he'll order anything.

Marco

Edit:
I keep forgetting something.

Vegassteve

imported post

I have not bought anything at Masters but have been there. Very nice folks. Kind of like Floyds barbershop in Mayberry. Lots of folks that seem to enjoy the company of hanging out there. Very nice folks.

Marco

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
Kind of like Floyds barbershop in Mayberry.

:lol::lol::lol:! A true statement in more ways than one.

I went there on a whime back in 1990 and have been a customer ever since, even worked there PT before moving to VA.
I also worked part time at the Gun Place (Part of the Pawn Place chain) before they closed the gun shop.

icode

imported post

I'll keep Master Shooter's in mind but it's quite a drive for me. Black Rifle is truely local for me and I try to support local shops.

Marco

imported post

There are new gunshops that weren't around before I moved away thatI would love to check out.
A few of the Gunshops in LV closed doors Bill's Buy and sell, Pacific Tactical a few yrs ago, The Gun Place, The original Survival store/Range (not the national survival store) just to name a few.

Floyd's was on my way homeand became a regular stop for me.
I usually shot at the Gunstore if I wanted or needed to shot indoors.

With traffic being as bad as it is in LV and gas being $$$$ I totally understand.

calmp9

imported post

I remember you brought that up once about your CCW class. Sorry to hear that.

calmp9

imported post

I would have anybody new to firearms take the free 2 hour class. These are designed to get people familiarized with safe gun handling and get them interested in shooting. It ensures safe gun handling at the range and it brings in business. I doubt that this particular range is going to conduct a bogus class. The owners want people to come back and often.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Leon is a jerk in many ways, and always has been.

He violates his merchant agreement with Visa/MC/Amex by charging extra on a gun the second he finds out you're not handing him cash.

His range fees are ridiculous.

He and his staff care more about sucking up to Metro to try selling MP5's than they do about regular customers.

He does everything short of saying "we will not do an FFL transfer on a gun you don't buy here" by charging 10% of the value of the firearm + additional fees if you have a gun mailed to his shop.

He and his staff have always been anti-OC. This isn't really any kind of recent change.

Go anywhere else in the valley for better prices and service. The Gun Store, American Shooters, Spurlock's, etc.

P.S. On the original topic, one of the main instructors at The Gun Store for their CCW course is a Clark County Sheriff who is rabidly anti-OC and goes out of his way to rail against it and threaten people with being "thrown on the 120 degree pavement" if "caught" OCing by Metro.

He also erroneously teaches that "no guns" signs carrying the force of law in Nevada (which they do not). Finally, his attitude reminds me a lot of the DEA agent in Florida with the "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to..." type garbage.

They're cheap, and you can fulfill the state requirement, but don't expect to be dazzled with all the useful information. :)

icode

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Leon is a jerk in many ways, and always has been.

He violates his merchant agreement with Visa/MC/Amex by charging extra on a gun the second he finds out you're not handing him cash.

His range fees are ridiculous.

He and his staff care more about sucking up to Metro to try selling MP5's than they do about regular customers.

He does everything short of saying "we will not do an FFL transfer on a gun you don't buy here" by charging 10% of the value of the firearm + additional fees if you have a gun mailed to his shop.

He and his staff have always been anti-OC. This isn't really any kind of recent change.

Go anywhere else in the valley for better prices and service. The Gun Store, American Shooters, Spurlock's, etc.

Um, yeah, that's the feeling that I got from my fairly looooong phone conversation with him. I have a card for a free 1/2 hour of range time there, I won't be using it:Xif you live in the Green Valley area please check out Black Rifle Armory.