• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Gun Store on Trop

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

icode, just as an FYI, Black Rifle Armory has been around for a long time. They just recently moved locations to Green Valley. Used to be in the industrial section on the south side of Lake Mead Dr right there around Van Wagenen.

icode

imported post

Thanks Bob, I obviously did not know that. Have you had any experiance with them? They seem to be a good bunch to me, FWIW. Although I have had limited dealings with them.

Shane.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've never personally dealt with them, but I've heard good things from others. I actually tried to stop in there a couple weeks ago with my son after we had haircuts... forgot they had moved. So, we had to settle for our normal visit to Spurlock's after the barber shop.

calmp9

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Leon is a jerk in many ways, and always has been.

He violates his merchant agreement with Visa/MC/Amex by charging extra on a gun the second he finds out you're not handing him cash.

His range fees are ridiculous.

He and his staff care more about sucking up to Metro to try selling MP5's than they do about regular customers.

He does everything short of saying "we will not do an FFL transfer on a gun you don't buy here" by charging 10% of the value of the firearm + additional fees if you have a gun mailed to his shop.

He and his staff have always been anti-OC.  This isn't really any kind of recent change.

Go anywhere else in the valley for better prices and service.  The Gun Store, American Shooters, Spurlock's, etc.

P.S. On the original topic, one of the main instructors at The Gun Store for their CCW course is a Clark County Sheriff who is rabidly anti-OC and goes out of his way to rail against it and threaten people with being "thrown on the 120 degree pavement" if "caught" OCing by Metro.

He also erroneously teaches that "no guns" signs carrying the force of law in Nevada (which they do not).  Finally, his attitude reminds me a lot of the DEA agent in Florida with the "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to..." type garbage.

They're cheap, and you can fulfill the state requirement, but don't expect to be dazzled with all the useful information.  :)

I have never been there, but from what you posted, I can deduce that he is not much of a businessman. The idea is to get the public to come back. Selling arms to the law enforcement agencies isn't going to do it for him monetarily. It may help him in other areas. From what I have read, I wouldn't deal with someone like that.

Wheel

imported post

bobernet wrote:
P.S. On the original topic, one of the main instructors at The Gun Store for their CCW course is a Clark County Sheriff who is rabidly anti-OC and goes out of his way to rail against it and threaten people with being "thrown on the 120 degree pavement" if "caught" OCing by Metro.

He also erroneously teaches that "no guns" signs carrying the force of law in Nevada (which they do not). Finally, his attitude reminds me a lot of the DEA agent in Florida with the "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to..." type garbage.

They're cheap, and you can fulfill the state requirement, but don't expect to be dazzled with all the useful information. :)

Funny, because I had the same impression of that same instructor. Definately got some bad info from him, and he is definately the coolest man that evar lived!

Erus

imported post

I Don't know if I ever dealt with Leon at Center Mass, but I bought my Mossberg there and the wife took her CCW class there. I hung out in the lobby while she shot quals, etc. and had my holstered .45 in my hand, or sitting on the table in front of methe whole time.. nobody blinked. We've been in there several times without incident and I always carry my sidearm. *shrug*

Has been a while though... maybe it's changed.

jalike

imported post

Trying to find out more about the open carry info provided by Metro. How did you come by the little bit of information I read?:celebrate

odesskiy

imported post

I believe, the guy at the Gunstore is a Constable, not a sheriff's deputy. I did get a chance to hear about his wild stories.

bobernet wrote:
Leon is a jerk in many ways, and always has been.

He violates his merchant agreement with Visa/MC/Amex by charging extra on a gun the second he finds out you're not handing him cash.

His range fees are ridiculous.

He and his staff care more about sucking up to Metro to try selling MP5's than they do about regular customers.

He does everything short of saying "we will not do an FFL transfer on a gun you don't buy here" by charging 10% of the value of the firearm + additional fees if you have a gun mailed to his shop.

He and his staff have always been anti-OC. This isn't really any kind of recent change.

Go anywhere else in the valley for better prices and service. The Gun Store, American Shooters, Spurlock's, etc.

He also erroneously teaches that "no guns" signs carrying the force of law in Nevada (which they do not). Finally, his attitude reminds me a lot of the DEA agent in Florida with the "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to..." type garbage.

They're cheap, and you can fulfill the state requirement, but don't expect to be dazzled with all the useful information. :)