• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another new member

Crown Point OCer

imported post

I applied for my lifetime LTC and received it eight weeks to the day later. I have beenOCing for aboutthree weeks now without any bad feedback.I have been reading the post on this site for awhile and agree with most of the comments but some seem to make no sense, like arguing with LEOif they ask to see yourLTC. I know its against the fourth amendment but i do not see any sense in it,just seems to me that it gives the anti-gunbunch more ammo to say were all just a bunch of gun totinradicals. glad to be here though. :celebrate

Skippy

imported post

You know you're required by state law to present your LTCH to a LEO on demand, right? How is that against the 4th Amendment?

Crown Point OCer

imported post

Isee alot of post on here that say if you are not doing anything wrong then it is illeagle search and seizure for them to ask to see your LTCH. i don't agree with that but i see it quite often here on posts

Prometheus

imported post

Crown Point OCer wrote:
Isee alot of post on here that say if you are not doing anything wrong then it is illeagle search and seizure for them to ask to see your LTCH. i don't agree with that but i see it quite often here on posts

I think you're a bit off.

Many of us say it's illegal for them to disarm us or search us simply for OC'ing... it is BTW. I haven't seen anyone saying anything bad about a LEO requesting to see the LTCH however.

As noted above by skippy if you are carrying and a LEO asks for your LTCH you must show it, state law.

tattedupboy

imported post

Skippy wrote:
You know you're required by state law to present your LTCH to a LEO on demand, right? How is that against the 4th Amendment?
So what you're saying is that if it is state law, there is nothing unconstitutional about it? Kinda like the Chicago police arresting you if you're caught with a handgun. Is that law not unconstitutional? What about licensure and registration requirements? Finally, what about driving checkpoints that police set up?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be suggesting that if it is state law, there is no way it can be unconstitutional. Yes, state law does require permit holders to present their permits on demand, but state law notwithstanding, it is still a violation of the fourth amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures.

Skippy

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Skippy wrote:
So what you're saying is that if it is state law, there is nothing unconstitutional about it? Kinda like the Chicago police arresting you if you're caught with a handgun. Is that law not unconstitutional? What about licensure and registration requirements? Finally, what about driving checkpoints that police set up?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be suggesting that if it is state law, there is no way it can be unconstitutional. Yes, state law does require permit holders to present their permits on demand, but state law notwithstanding, it is still a violation of the fourth amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures.
Not at all. I was suggesting that just because a LEO asks for your LTCH doesn't make it unconstitutional. There's a subtle difference in the arguments.

You're right that just because it's a law doesn't make it unconstitutional, but until it's challenged in court, it's the law.

I also direct your attention to the recent case of the Utah driver who took a similar argument (involving his driver's license) to the SCOTUS.

When a new poster comes in and says he just got his license and just started carrying, I think it's wise council to ask him to check his facts before his next LEO confrontation, because if he's wrong, it's going to get ugly.

(and yes, I realize he's not necessarily new to either an LTCH or carrying)

MJL

imported post

The info I got at the local PD says it would be $40 for the 4 year, and $125 for the lifetime. (plus stamps)