• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I carry a gun?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Back when I was in the Corps, a guy I worked with made the comment, "Why would you EVER need a gun in Havelock, NC? Chicago or L.A. I can see, but Havelock!?". His comment might have had something to do with the fact that Havelock has an incredibly low crime rate compared to the national average, as well as its neighbors (New Bern, for instance).

http://www.wnct.com/midatlantic/nct/news.apx.-content-articles-NCT-2008-06-03-0021.html

This happened in the parking lot next to my building, about 20 feet from my car. I heard the gun shots as I was eating dinner. I looked up to check the dead bolt, slid my gun a little closer, and kept eating. What else can you do? :?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

OMG this stupid forum wont let me post the article! I give up, click the link to read it I guess...

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

What kind of error did it give you when you tried to paste the article?

Here it is ...

Police have a suspect this afternoon -- in an overnight shooting that sent one person to the hospital.

The shooting happened at 201 Shipman Road -- at about 7:45 last night.

Police tell us the victim -- Bianca Howard of Havelock -- was taken to Carteret General Hospital -- then air-lifted to Pitt Memorial.

The extents of her injuries aren’t clear at this time.

Police arrested Jesse Hughes of New Bern on charges including assault with a deadly weapon and inflicting serious injury.

Hughes was already wanted after he escaped from a drug treatment center.

He's being held in the Havelock detention center under bond.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jpierce wrote:
What kind of error did it give you when you tried to paste the article?
No error, I would just copy and paste the article (text only) and post it, but when I checked to see that it posted correctly, only the first line or so would be there. I dunno!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Some have asked me why carry a gun, I ask why wear a seatbelt or lock your door at night or have insurance? Most of the time you will never ever need it. But that one time you do and it can sure enough change the outcome in your favor..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Here's a more detailed article on the matter. It's just so weird that this happened right outside of my building! I can't imagine what I would have done had I been getting out of my car when that happened...

http://www.enctoday.com/news/monday_4078_havelock__article.html/victim_hospital.html

Man arrested for shooting Havelock woman

June 2, 2008 - 8:18PM
By Ken Buday
Havelock News

A young woman was shot Monday night in front of the Eastwood Square apartments on Shipman Road in Havelock.

The woman, 19-year-old Bianca Howard of Havelock, was driven to Carteret General Hospital and later flown to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville. Witnesses said she was pregnant, and city spokeswoman Diane Miller said her injuries weren't life-threatening.

Police arrested Jessie Rex Hughes, 19, of New Bern, and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

The shooting happened around 7:45 p.m. in the parking lot of 201 Shipman Road, Building F. According to witnesses, the incident began as a fight between two women. A man who was the friend of one of those involved in the fight shot Howard and then ran off.

Police at the scene were investigating and would not confirm witnesses' accounts.

Residents gathered in front of the Havelock Manor apartments across Shipman Road from where police yellow tape marked the scene of the shooting. Some were on cell phones, while one cried out, "They shot my cousin."

In darkening skies, Havelock police officers used flashlights to search for evidence. Small yellow signs - including one near a small, green SUV where witnesses said the victim was shot - marked the evidence.

Howard was driven by private vehicle toward Carteret General Hospital in Morehead City. Newport police officers met the car on the way and transferred Howard to an ambulance, according to a Tuesday news release.

Police believe Howard was watching a fight in the parking lot when she was shot, the release said.

Hughes was taken to the Craven County Jail on a $50,000 bond. Authorities learned he was wanted by probation officers for escaping from a drug and alcohol treatment program in Goldsboro.

His bond for charges related to his escape was set at $75,000.

Havelock police and Craven County sheriff's deputies responded to the shooting.