• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad News For NV CCW Holders

AnakinsKid

imported post

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/05...openletter.pdf

OPEN LETTER TO ALL NEVADA FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of an important change to the procedure you must follow beginning July 1, 2008 in order to comply with the Brady Law,
18 U.S.C. § 922(t).

Beginning July 1, 2008, Nevada’s Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permits will no longer qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

We're going to have to start paying the $25 check anytime we buy a gun now. I just got my permit 4 days ago. That was half of my reason for getting it.

Yes, I know this is an Open Carry board. I had planned on using that exemption to buy more guns to OC.

njeske

imported post

we'll have to make sure our legislature fixes this next year. the only reason we have to deal with this is because the bill they had to try and prevent this from happening last session also included a near doubling of the ccw fees. we need to see the same bill next year, but without all the extra fees going to the state.

AnakinsKid

imported post

The discussion I read on the subject basically said to make it stay, they'd have to make the renewal process exactly the same as the first time.

Here's what I spent:
$60 for the class
$10 for the shooting qualification (range fees only)
$100.25 for the Application
$25 for ammo
Total = $195.25

If I had the CCW this time last year, I would have saved $225 in Brady Check fees. That's 9 guns.

I had figured on buying about the same, if not more this year.

If raising the fee by $40 is what it takes to save me over $200 each year, for the 5 years the permit is valid, then raise the damn fee!

Edit to correct my bad math

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
We're going to have to start paying the $25 check anytime we buy a gun now.
Huh? Why does a gun purchase check cost $25 in Nevada.

And why exactly is Nevada's permit losing its status as a NICS alternative permit?

wayneco

imported post

What exactly were the fixes required? I notice the letter never specified what exactly was lacking, only that the State of NV had been informed and they had not complied in time.

njeske

imported post

backround check fee in NV is $25. with the NICS exemption going away, we'll have to pay that every time we buy a gun.

the exemption is going away because state law does not require sheriffs to run a full FBI check on renewal applications, only on original applications. it's been common practice for the sheriffs to run FBI checks on renewals for the sole purpose of keeping the NICS exemption in place, the BATFE wants it written into state law. they gave NV an extension last year when there was a bill in the legislature to make an FBI check required on all permit applications, both new and renewals. however that bill failed due to it also containing a huge increase in fees for getting a ccw. the BATFE has taken a long time to respond to the failure of that bill, but it now seems as though they are revoking NV's exemption.

AnakinsKid

imported post

wayneco wrote:
What exactly were the fixes required? I notice the letter never specified what exactly was lacking, only that the State of NV had been informed and they had not complied in time.

I wish I knew. I heard about it this afternoon from Glen at Bargain Pawn. He said as soon as he heard, he called up ATF to find out (and was the first to call), and had already sent of over 100 emails to try to get this straightened out. If I can't find anything, I'll drop by in a day or 2 and see if Glen has any news.

njeske

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
wayneco wrote:

I wish I knew. I heard about it this afternoon from Glen at Bargain Pawn. He said as soon as he heard, he called up ATF to find out (and was the first to call), and had already sent of over 100 emails to try to get this straightened out. If I can't find anything, I'll drop by in a day or 2 and see if Glen has any news.
the fix required is in my post above. we need it written into state law that an FBI check is required on both new and renewal applications. just having the sheriffs do it anyways, isn't enough for the BATFE. they wantlaw to require it.

AnakinsKid

imported post

njeske wrote:
AnakinsKid wrote:
wayneco wrote:

the fix required is in my post above. we need it written into state law that an FBI check is required on both new and renewal applications. just having the sheriffs do it anyways, isn't enough for the BATFE. they wantlaw to require it.

That's the Federal government for you. They can't directly influence state law, so they'll hurt us financially until we change it for them. Same reason our DUI limit is .08, instead of .10 like it used to be. They wanted it changed, so they threatened to withhold money for roads until it was changed.

Edit: Spelling

DocNTexas

imported post

njeske wrote:
backround check fee in NV is $25. with the NICS exemption going away, we'll have to pay that every time we buy a gun.

the exemption is going away because state law does not require sheriffs to run a full FBI check on renewal applications, only on original applications. it's been common practice for the sheriffs to run FBI checks on renewals for the sole purpose of keeping the NICS exemption in place, the BATFE wants it written into state law. they gave NV an extension last year when there was a bill in the legislature to make an FBI check required on all permit applications, both new and renewals. however that bill failed due to it also containing a huge increase in fees for getting a ccw. the BATFE has taken a long time to respond to the failure of that bill, but it now seems as though they are revoking NV's exemption.

If this is true, NV will lose more than just the NICS exemption for gun purchases. The majority of states (including my state - Texas) require such checks for both original issue and renewals and will no longer recognizeNV permitsif this takes place. There are several states that Texas does not recognize for this very reason and if this take place, Texas will drop NV as a recognized state, as will others similar states. NV residents need to jump on this one fast.

Doc

varminter22

imported post

The reasons outlined above are pretty much accurate.

When time permits, I'll chime in with some history from the first time this happened, and from the 2007 legislative session (when it SHOULD have been fixed.)

It did NOT get fixed in the 2007 session. But we will endeavor to fix it in the 2009 session.

We may or may not be treated to another temporary fix.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The folks from Washoe County really, really, really need to run a campaign to get Bernie Anderson gone. He is the single biggest roadblock to gun rights progress in the Nevada legislature.

njeske

imported post

bobernet wrote:
The folks from Washoe County really, really, really need to run a campaign to get Bernie Anderson gone. He is the single biggest roadblock to gun rights progress in the Nevada legislature.
Exactly what i've been saying for over a year now.I don't know if anyone in Bernie's district are on this forum, but if there are they need to make a concerted effort to make sure he looses.I haven't checked, but hopefully another conservative is challenging him in the primary.If not, then we need to check to see if the opposing Democrat is pro-gun. Most elected Democrats in NV are pro-gun. Some of our best legislation last year came from Senator Lee in Clark County, a Democrat.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Speaking of electing pro-gun people to the legislator.

Sharron Angle is running for Senatorial District 3 against Raggio. She has told me she is a big proponent of gun rights, has a CCW, and likes the Vermont CCWlaws. From what I know right now, I intend to vote for her. I contacted Bill Raggio to find out his views, but he never replied.

njeske

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Speaking of electing pro-gun people to the legislator.

Sharron Angle is running for Senatorial District 3 against Raggio. She has told me she is a big proponent of gun rights, has a CCW, and likes the Vermont CCWlaws. From what I know right now, I intend to vote for her. I contacted Bill Raggio to find out his views, but he never replied.
Bill Ragio is another person that would be good to replace. Especially with someone who's extremely pro-gun.

PT111

imported post

I have been hearing a lot about this but the question I have is who is the $25 for the check going to? I understand some states have their own check system instead of the NICS and the state charges for that usually $5. Everyone I have talked to about the NICS says that the NICS check is free so who gets the $25?