• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulling a gun on someone

just_a_car

imported post

BobCav wrote:
We only draw guns againstdeadly force be it byweaponry, numbers or disparity of size or age.Period. Words don't count either.In that scenario, he would be the victim and you would be the criminal. There areonly one or twostates I believe (don't remember which) in whichyou can brandish to stop a crime but I don't think WA is one of them. (Snip)
Actually, WA is one of them.

The RCW (which I don't have time to research, as I have a lab to do that's due in 5 hours) states we may draw in the case of a felony and, IIRC, there's an AG opinion about it being applicable to misdemeanors as well.

I'm sure someone else that has a little more spare time will give you a link and/or quote from that RCW. I believe it's part of "use of deadly force".

joeroket

Ajetpilot

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
The RCW (which I don't have time to research, as I have a lab to do that's due in 5 hours) states we may draw in the case of a felony and, IIRC, there's an AG opinion about it being applicable to misdemeanors as well.

I'm sure someone else that has a little more spare time will give you a link and/or quote from that RCW. I believe it's part of "use of deadly force".

RCW 9.41.270 (excerpts)

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay, so now I'm really confused. When many people talk about a confrontation or a near robbery (like this thread) many people advise that the suspicious person should have never gotten so close to the potential victim. Now in this situation the consensus is don't draw.

You don't know if that person is armed or what their intentions are. When do you finally draw? Does he need to throw a punch or draw a knife? If he's that close to me, pulling my gun at that point will be very hard. If you tell someone to stop and they keep coming closer to you, what do you do?

Ajetpilot

imported post

joeroket wrote:
But they fail to define unlawful force. That is the drawback to that specific section of code.

Presently threatened unlawful force.

BG: "I'm going to kick your a**!!!" as he walks towardme with fists clenched.

That would do it for me, but then I'm 64 and not in the physical shape I was in forty years ago.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
You use the minimum amount of force neccessary to neutralize the threat.
That must be nice to have criminals wearing signs that say "I have a knife and want to mug you, a 9mm will do the job".

Now in the real world, some guy is approaching you, you've told him to stop but he keeps coming, you have no idea if he's armed or what his intentions are. Tell me, what is the appropriate force, or do I wait to be attacked and find out myself?

ChinChin

imported post

asforme wrote:
Okay, so now I'm really confused. When many people talk about a confrontation or a near robbery (like this thread) many people advise that the suspicious person should have never gotten so close to the potential victim. Now in this situation the consensus is don't draw.

You don't know if that person is armed or what their intentions are. When do you finally draw? Does he need to throw a punch or draw a knife? If he's that close to me, pulling my gun at that point will be very hard. If you tell someone to stop and they keep coming closer to you, what do you do?

Your question depends on the laws of the location you are in. Some locations require you to retreat as far as you are physically able prior to pulling a weapon, or to have "your back to the wall." Other locations have laws which are not so demanding and have no such “duty to retreat.”

Most places have a requirement that your life must be in immediate peril or there must be threat of grievous bodily injury to make deploying lethal force lawful. In other locations, such as Texas you are permitted to kill to protect not only life, but to protect property (a la Joe Horn of Texas.)

So your question of what to do when you have told an approaching person to halt, and they are still proceeding depends on what the laws in your A.O. state you are permitted to do. I would recommend you research those laws so in the event you find yourself in said situation, you know that EXACT moment when you are permitted by law to take lethal action. Should you ever find yourself in said situation and have to pull your firearm; simply remember the phrase that pays:

“I am not the primary aggressor. I pulled my firearm as I felt I was in immediate threat of death and/or grievous bodily harm and only wanted to stop and control the situation and/or preventing my lawfully carried firearm from being taken during a robbery and used against myself and/or others.”

Then stop talking until you contact your lawyer to answer any further questions!!!!!!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
asforme wrote:

Your question depends on the laws of the location you are in. Some locations require you to retreat as far as you are physically able prior to pulling a weapon, or to have "your back to the wall." Other locations have laws which are not so demanding and have no such “duty to retreat.”

Most places have a requirement that your life must be in immediate peril or there must be threat of grievous bodily injury to make deploying lethal force lawful. In other locations, such as Texas you are permitted to kill to protect not only life, but to protect property (a la Joe Horn of Texas.)

So your question of what to do when you have told an approaching person to halt, and they are still proceeding depends on what the laws in your A.O. state you are permitted to do. I would recommend you research those laws so in the event you find yourself in said situation, you know that EXACT moment when you are permitted by law to take lethal action. Should you ever find yourself in said situation and have to pull your firearm; simply remember the phrase that pays:

“I am not the primary aggressor. I pulled my firearm as I felt I was in immediate threat of death and/or grievous bodily harm and only wanted to stop and control the situation and/or preventing my lawfully carried firearm from being taken during a robbery and used against myself and/or others.”

Then stop talking until you contact your lawyer to answer any further questions!!!!!!
Thanks, I'll definitely look into my states laws further.

I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret the previous comments though. No one recommended retreating or mentioned any duty to retreat, but still the consensus was do not draw? So for those who said don't draw, what would have to happen to cause you to clear leather?

Dustin

imported post

Most of the post I see here seem to put this in some sort of Post Defense Mode thinking, where the normal Escalation of force laws apply.

How are we to know what level of fear exist in anyone's mind, at any given time ?

Surely my level of Fear is not the same as any other man/woman here.

So If you were carrying, and a guy repeatedely ignored your plea/command to Stay Away, and you pulled and He ran, then Your sense of safety was obviously breached.

No Peer or Judge will be able to Fry you b/c you scared the enemy off. There are so many possibilities that could have been running thru your head, does he have a gun, a knife, AIDS, a bottle.

How can one judge you for being overly cautious in this day and age, heck in Malls I'm down right paranoid !

Of course I've been diagnosed with Hyper-Vigilance from the Warso that might be my excuse. Then again they might call me a mental case :celebrate

Ajetpilot

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
simply remember the phrase that pays:

Even better, after identifying yourself simply say, "I assert my rights under the Fifth Amendment, and I will not answer any questions unless my attorney is present."

kparker

imported post

No fear for life from a sock in the mouth

BobCav,

Let's be careful with the actual wording of the laws here. RCW 9A.16.050 (justifiable homicide) doesn't say that, it says "when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished". So we need to discuss whether having one's front teeth permanently removed qualifies as "great personal injury" or not? For my part, I'm kind of attached to mine, and would greatly resent someone else putting effort into trying to separate them from me.

Dustin

imported post

ChinChin wrote:

Right on Chin CHin :)

David.Car

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Washington is a no duty to retreat state.

Johnny Law

imported post

Dustin wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

Right on Chin CHin :)

You have pretty much hit the golden standard Chin Chin. If what you say is the truth, and is believable after the fact, then you will be just fine. If after hearing the alleged bad guy's and witness' statements, what you said was a line of bs, there will be problems.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

joeroket wrote:
We can brandish to prevent an attempted felony.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

[/b]Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

[1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.050.]

joeroket

imported post

asforme wrote:
joeroket wrote:
That must be nice to have criminals wearing signs that say "I have a knife and want to mug you, a 9mm will do the job".

Now in the real world, some guy is approaching you, you've told him to stop but he keeps coming, you have no idea if he's armed or what his intentions are. Tell me, what is the appropriate force, or do I wait to be attacked and find out myself?
Kind of a dumb question but I will humor you.

Appropriate force is for you to determine at the time the incident is happening. If you draw a firearm because someone is coming towards you you had better be able to show, because of thier actions that your life was threatened, "great personal injury" was going to take place, or he was attempting to commit a felony.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

joeroket wrote:
asforme wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Kind of a dumb question but I will humor you.

Appropriate force is for you to determine at the time the incident is happening. If you draw a firearm because someone is coming towards you you had better be able to show, because of thier actions that your life was threatened, "great personal injury" was going to take place, or he was attempting to commit a felony.

OK, I KNOW I WILL GET FLAMED FOR THIS...

People will roll:quirkytheir eyes and say that this is NOT Utah, but I ask IF there is anything like this in WA codes.

==========================================================

[align=left][size=-1]UTAH STATE LEGISLATURE[/size]
[size=-1]Home | Site Map | Calendar | Code/Constitution | House | Senate | Search[/size]
76-2-402. Force in defense of person -- Forcible felony defined.
(1) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that force is necessary to defend himself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, that person is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if he or she reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to himself or a third person as a result of the other's imminent use of unlawful force, or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
(2) A person is not justified in using force under the circumstances specified in Subsection (1) if he or she:
(a) initially provokes the use of force against himself with the intent to use force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant;
(b) is attempting to commit, committing, or fleeing after the commission or attempted commission of a felony; or
(c) (i) was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement, unless he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to the other person his intent to do so and, notwithstanding, the other person continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force; and
(ii) for purposes of Subsection (i) the following do not, by themselves, constitute "combat by agreement":
(A) voluntarily entering into or remaining in an ongoing relationship; or
(B) entering or remaining in a place where one has a legal right to be.
(3) A person does not have a duty to retreat from the force or threatened force described in Subsection (1) in a place where that person has lawfully entered or remained, except as provided in Subsection (2)(c).
(4) For purposes of this section, a forcible felony includes aggravated assault, mayhem, aggravated murder, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, and aggravated kidnapping, rape, forcible sodomy, rape of a child, object rape, object rape of a child, sexual abuse of a child, aggravated sexual abuse of a child, and aggravated sexual assault as defined in Title 76, Chapter 5, and arson, robbery, and burglary as defined in Title 76, Chapter 6. Any other felony offense which involves the use of force or violence against a person so as to create a substantial danger of death or serious bodily injury also constitutes a forcible felony. Burglary of a vehicle, defined in Section 76-6-204, does not constitute a forcible felony except when the vehicle is occupied at the time unlawful entry is made or attempted.
(5) In determining imminence or reasonableness under Subsection (1), the trier of fact may consider, but is not limited to, any of the following factors:
(a) the nature of the danger;
(b) the immediacy of the danger;
(c) the probability that the unlawful force would result in death or serious bodily injury;
(d) the other's prior violent acts or violent propensities; and
(e) any patterns of abuse or violence in the parties' relationship.
[/align]
Amended by Chapter 26, 1994 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WordPerfect 76_02_040200.ZIP 3,183 Bytes

[line]

Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Thursday, May 01, 2008

===========================================================

As far as the OP, according to these guideliness/codes (which are UTAH)it probably would NOT warrant the pulling of the firearm as far as I understand the scenario.

Just my .40

TJ