• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And you think the cops are the good guys?

MetalChris

imported post

They only want to get the conviction, regardless of who actually perpetrated the crime.

Case in point

This went down back in '98, but I'm just now seeing it on TruTV. I'm nauseated.

Mods, feel free to lock this as it has nothing to do with OC.On second thought it does, because those of us that OC need to remember that cops are absolutely not on our side. EVER.

LEO 229

imported post

You are simply posting news that everyone already knows. There are people who have been incarcerated that never committed the crime. This is old news!!

But this is the system we have and with all the check and balances in place... some people still slip through the cracks. This is unfortunate but I would not wrap EVERY cop in the huge blanket youare carrying around.

You really should broaden your blanket wrap and cover the prosecutor, the Judge, and the Jury. They all play a role in believing the false confession. The fact is.... some people DO confess to crimes they never did. This is known and cannot be fully explained. But YOU want to hold the cop at fault for believing the false confession.

If someone confesses to a crime.... do you NOT believe them? Some people know just enough of the story or the cop unintentionally gives out details that the person will use to corroborate his statement.

I suspect that by the title you used... "And you think the cops are the good guys?" you do not think this way and you are soliciting for others to join you in your opinion.

I can say that I have never coerced a false confession from anyone but you have lumped me right in the group. I would like to think I wear a white hat and help people to the best of my ability. Most cops have this common goal.

But I will absolutely agree with you thatthis really does not fithere and you are fishing for collaborators.

And it is NOT about getting a conviction. The police believe they have the right guy and do what they can to get the good on him. If they REALLY wanted to pad their stats they could just "say" he confessed and be done with it. I am not sure why I would bother trying to get a fake confession.

Some people do confess just to get the interview over. How does the cop know he is doing it? Should we set up standards that you can only interview for 20 minutes and if you get nothing... the guy goes free? There are times when it takes hours before the guy comes clean.

Big point of interest is this..... Most innocent people and career criminals are going to lawyer up or not talk. While other criminals do their best to talk and try to get you to believe them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is nothing but cop-bashing at its worst.

OK, so some cops in one case violated every precept of public service, impartial investigation, and justice. And we know that some other cops, in some other cases, acted as bad if not worse, or maybe not quite as bad but still not properly.

That does not mean that all cops act like that.

Suggestion: rewrite your post and bitch about those specific cops. Do some more research and find out what happened when all this was exposed and the dust finally settled. Tell us how you feel about the system after everything was dealt with.

Alternate suggestion: don't bother with anything in the first suggestion. Just delete your post and apologize for wasting time and bandwidth by engaging in gratuitous copbashing.

stay safe.

skidmark

** edited because LEO229 beat me to posting.

Lysander

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
They only want to get the conviction, regardless of who actually perpetrated the crime.

Case in point

This went down back in '98, but I'm just now seeing it on TruTV. I'm nauseated.

Mods, feel free to lock this as it has nothing to do with OC.On second thought it does, because those of us that OC need to remember that cops are absolutely not on our side. EVER.
From the site:
In the meantime, Ryan reports, the Crowe family has sued the police department and prosecutors for violating Michael's civil rights during his interrogation.
Nifong wasn't the only bad apple in our bunch, unfortunately. Cops arrest, but prosecutors take it from there. This isn't prosecutor bashing; I like a good number of the ones I know.

possumboy

imported post

skidmark wrote:

This is a correct statement; not all cops act like this.

The problem is, you never know which cop you are going to have an encounter with. You need to follow the same procedure with any law enforcement encounter you did not initiate.

Provide only the information you are required to under law, attempt to exit the encounter, and keep your mouth shut.

You never know what the officer is looking for, or if he/she is just having a bad day. You might just provide them with all the information they need to detain or arrest you.

You should treat all LEOs with respect and the same - all focused on protecting yourself.

LEO 229

imported post

possumboy wrote:
skidmark wrote:

This is a correct statement; not all cops act like this.

The problem is, you never know which cop you are going to have an encounter with. You need to follow the same procedure with any law enforcement encounter you did not initiate.

Provide only the information you are required to under law, attempt to exit the encounter, and keep your mouth shut.

You never know what the officer is looking for, or if he/she is just having a bad day. You might just provide them with all the information they need to detain or arrest you.

You should treat all LEOs with respect and the same - all focused on protecting yourself.
Completely agree..... because it goes both ways.

The police do not know who they are going to be dealing with at the window as they walk up. Maybe the guy is going to be an a-hole or shoot the officer in the face.

The officer knows that both can happen.... just like a citizen can know that there are bad cops out there.

But the average cop does not walk up with his gun drawn or start out screaming to be sure he has the upper hand in the argument about the speeding ticket.

The officer gives that motorist and every other motorist the benefit of the doubt and does not expect the him or her to be the worst society has to offer.

This mindset is completely inappropriate!! This goes for EVERYONE in society.

Anyone who wants to think this way about cops and push his agenda is an immaturechild filled with personal hatred or misinformation. This is truly sad.

I have had people say they did expect a cop with an attitude to appear at their window and was pleasantly surprised that I was very kind and understanding as I gave them their ticket.

MetalChris

imported post

Meh...I should've worded the heading differently, my bad.

What I meant was Law Enforcement and the Justice systemas entities don't give two sh!ts about justice. I realize that the way I worded it meant that all cops are meanie-heads and will lock you in an interrogation room until you confess to a crime you didn't commit.

Oh wait, never mind, they actually do that. :uhoh: All the time. :uhoh: