Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderators Editing Posts

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    A number of posts have recently been edited by moderators, to the point of "correcting" formatting. I think this is wrong.

For one, if a person posts a poorly formatted paragraph, it's a reflection on them and should stand as is. If someone wants to correct it, use the Quote button and re-post it.

Second, if it contains objectionable text, e-mail the original text to the poster, note why it was deleted, and replace the post with a message of why it was deleted and by whom. It's starting to feel like "big brother" is doing things in secret, and it's not good for the community.

Third, moderators need to temporarily suspend certain accounts sooner. Having an pro/anti open carry opinion is fine, but when a poster constantly attacks members with inflammatory statements that have no factual basis, the account needs to be locked for a few days. If a person states they feel member X is a wheat-puff, fine. If they keep repeating the same thing to start a flame war, that's a different story.

hehe, just kidding....

I have to agree with all of this though, posts should not be edited by anybody except the OP.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

+1

Let idiots write like idiots. Makes them easier to spot in a crowd.

Post imported post

Well, in the case of re-formatting or deletion, so long as the moderator notes this in the post, I can't see an issue with it. The mod is not adding anything, that is, he isn't putting words into the mouth of the poster, and is making a good faith effort to let the post be heard, instead of just deleting it. So long as the mod "signs" his edits, I'm not complaining...

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, in the case of re-formatting or deletion, so long as the moderator notes this in the post, I can't see an issue with it. The mod is not adding anything, that is, he isn't putting words into the mouth of the poster, and is making a good faith effort to let the post be heard, instead of just deleting it. So long as the mod "signs" his edits, I'm not complaining...
    As long as the formatting being changed was not put there for particular emphasis (slightly larger text, bold, red etc.), I agree with you. 24pt green comic sans is just hard to read.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    As long as the formatting being changed was not put there for particular emphasis (slightly larger text, bold, red etc.), I agree with you. 24pt green comic sans is just hard to read.
    Yup, that's what I was talking about.

Maybe they could tweak the forum software so that only Verdana font in black and red can be used... :celebrate

Post imported post

The job of a moderator is to do the very things you do not care for.

Moderators keep the peace, keep things on track, close threads, remove offensive text, and makecorrections to posts as needed. No moderator will ever add something that was not said my the member.

If the paragraph formattingis so poor or they write a single run-on sentence.. this needs to be corrected so that the membership as a whole can read it easily. Why should EVERYONE bleed from their eyes??

Your need to know that the member's writing skills are not that great is really pointless.This does not make them an "idiot". Membershave been attacked herebut not their valid comments.... but instead theirgrammar errors. This is often done by those that have nothing valid left to say and have ran out of any good arguments.

A man and his opinion really has nothing to do with his grammar. I have seen a great many members here who are lacking and they are not idiots. We are all a product of the American education system and some of us are lacking in our writing skills but that has nothing to do with our opinion.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    (Snip)...We are all a product of the American education system and some of us are lacking in our writing skills but that has nothing to do with our opinion.
    Excellent summary, LEO229.

I appreciate the work our moderators do, (having never been subjected to editing or deletion by one).

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    We are all victims of the American (non)education system and some of us are lacking in our writing skills but that has nothing to do with our opinion.
    Now I agree with you....

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I'd like to thank 229 for finally locking all of the "oooo look at how the cops are all evil!" threads. Now, if only the mods would, with the same vigor, lock all of the 2008-presidential-election threads that don't specifically relate to 2A rights and aren't repetitions of threads within the top 5 pages, we'd be in really good shape...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe my use of the word idiot was strong, but I still stand by my statement. I think the majority of grammatical or sentence structure errors come not from a lack of education, but from laziness. It is because people do not take the time to read what they have written before they click the send button.

I use the style of someones writing to judge how I should interpret their statement, and yes I make prejudices about the persons opinion based on their writing style. I believe this is entirely appropriate.

Forcing yourself to write clearly, with proper vocabulary and sentence structure forces you to concentrate on what you are saying. It also shows that you have taken the time to choose the best way to arrive at, and express, your conclusion.

On the other hand, writing a long run on sentence with little capitalization and no concern for readability shows that you simply wanted to spout off what you had to say as quickly as possible. You did not think about it, proof read it, or take time to make sure it was actually what you intended to say. I am much less concerned with the opinions of people who think or write in this haste manner than I am with people who take time to formulate and express their opinions.

As I said, I believe these judgments are entirely appropriate, and I do not like the fact that moderators want to remove my ability to make them.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    We are all victims of the American (non)education system and some of us are lacking in our writing skills but that has nothing to do with our opinion.
    Now I agree with you....
    For balance, if nothing else, I vehemently disagree.

If 'victims of education' are capable of forming and expressing opinions beyond basic appetites/desires then of what use is the education?

Illiteracy is not equivalent to literacy.

Read and understand The Deliberate Dumbing down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt. Available as an 11MB .pdf from http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

Post imported post

Thanks Doug.... I knew you would not agree. Simply because I said it.

I suck at spelling and grammar. I just did not get it in school and only the rich preppy kids got the attention of the teacher. She knew I needed help but did nothing to help me.

So somehow this is MY FAULT because I failed to learn where the teacher is supposed to teach me. The teacher sucked and failed to act.

Being educated has nothing to do with having an opinion on something.

Does this mean that if I have a masters degree in something that my opinion on open carry should hold more weight then someone with a high school diploma or even a GED?

I think not! You only hold more weight if you are expressing an opinion in something you know about from first hand experience. And then..... it is still just your opinion.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Leo 229 what does this have to do with OC? U closed all the threads that you thought were cop bashing but i see quite few that have nothing to do with OC and those are not closed?

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Moderators keep the peace, keep things on track, close threads, remove offensive text, and makecorrections to posts as needed.
    Really? I thought people here asked moderators to step up more quickly and ban abusive posters.

Since when did moderating a discussion change to correcting posts? I'd like this free service for my business, but I don't want it for the forums. Let each person's personality speak for themselves--don't sanitize someone's writing. Remove it and state why it was removed and who removed it or let it stand.
    I guess it comes down to preference over post editing or outright deletion. I prefer the editing but hey, that's just me

Post imported post

bayfire66 wrote:
    Leo 229 what does this have to do with OC? U closed all the threads that you thought were cop bashing but i see quite few that have nothing to do with OC and those are not closed?
    This deals with the forum itself and is permitted.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Moderators keep the peace, keep things on track, close threads, remove offensive text, and makecorrections to posts as needed.
    Really? I thought people here asked moderators to step up more quickly and ban abusive posters.

Since when did moderating a discussion change to correcting posts? I'd like this free service for my business, but I don't want it for the forums. Let each person's personality speak for themselves--don't sanitize someone's writing. Remove it and state why it was removed and who removed it or let it stand.
    It is rare that this is even required. I am not sure why it is such a hot topic at the moment.

Many posts could be removed but an edit is often times more appropriate. The author can see his post and the moderator edit that was made. It will help him understand what was not appropriate.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I suck at spelling and grammar. I just did not get it in school and only the rich preppy kids got the attention of the teacher. She knew I needed help but did nothing to help me.
    And yet you're still able to write coherently on here, and even edit the posts of others. You can do so because you actually care to get your point across accurately, not just quickly. The time someone spends articulating their point is indicative of the amount of time they spent actually thinking about it.

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    This deals with the forum itself and is permitted.
    What's the permit fee, and what states have reciprocity?
    Now your just being silly.

Please knock it off.... :X

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Thanks Doug.... I knew you would not agree. Simply because I said it.

So somehow this is MY FAULT because I failed to learn where the teacher is supposed to teach me. The teacher sucked and failed to act.

Being educated has nothing to do with having an opinion on something.

Does this mean that if I have a masters degree in something that my opinion on open carry should hold more weight then someone with a high school diploma or even a GED?

I think not! You only hold more weight if you are expressing an opinion in something you know about from first hand experience. And then..... it is still just your opinion.

If you can't write coherent sentences, you probably shouldn't make it through high school anyway. Too many kids are pushed through. Maybe your parents could have spoken up and tried to make a difference in your schooling. You seem to be doing just fine now, and have, IMO, a VERY respectable career.

Being educated has nothing to do with an opinion, except that higher education tends to bring a different way of thinking, as far as forming opinions, finding the proper sources for proof, etc...

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    Being educated has nothing to do with an opinion, except that higher education tends to bring a different way of thinking, as far as forming opinions, finding the proper sources for proof, etc...
    As evidenced by all of the college students who support the right to keep and bear arms...

Post imported post

I'll be the first to say that when on a keyboard, theres no telling how jumbled up teh letters in my words are going to become ( the-teh, there-tehre, etc.) this has nothing to do with being illiterate or unintelligent, it merely has to do with being a piss poor typist, and being too azy to go back and edit all of my posts. If a moderator feels the compulsion to go back and edit the grammar of my posts, knock yourself out. the only way that I would have a problem is if the original post was, for example:

" I believe that NFA laws are unconstitutional and should be repealed, as well as all other laws which infringe upon my god given, constitutionally protected rights"

became edited to read, for example:

" I believe that NFA laws are constitutional and should be rejoiced, as well as all other laws whichreasonably restrictupon myunnamed, for fear of offending the other religions,religious icongiven, considerably preposterous rights... Obama/Clinton '08... yeah baby..."

in other words, as long as you edit posts purely for grammatical reasons as opposed to destroying the context of someones post through the edit, then if you must, I really don't see a problem with it, after all as has been said before, this site is the property of teh admins, and their power is delegated to mods. it's not liek its the congress changing what you posted at teh ballot box ( that we know about)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast