• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moderators Editing Posts

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I suck at spelling and grammar. I just did not get it in school and only the rich preppy kids got the attention of the teacher. She knew I needed help but did nothing to help me.
And yet you're still able to write coherently on here, and even edit the posts of others. You can do so because you actually care to get your point across accurately, not just quickly. The time someone spends articulating their point is indicative of the amount of time they spent actually thinking about it.

SQLtables

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Thanks Doug.... I knew you would not agree. Simply because I said it. :lol:

I suck at spelling and grammar. I just did not get it in school and only the rich preppy kids got the attention of the teacher. She knew I needed help but did nothing to help me.

So somehow this is MY FAULT because I failed to learn where the teacher is supposed to teach me. The teacher sucked and failed to act.

Being educated has nothing to do with having an opinion on something.

Does this mean that if I have a masters degree in something that my opinion on open carry should hold more weight then someone with a high school diploma or even a GED?

I think not! You only hold more weight if you are expressing an opinion in something you know about from first hand experience. And then..... it is still just your opinion.

If you can't write coherent sentences, you probably shouldn't make it through high school anyway. Too many kids are pushed through. Maybe your parents could have spoken up and tried to make a difference in your schooling. You seem to be doing just fine now, and have, IMO, a VERY respectable career.

Being educated has nothing to do with an opinion, except that higher education tends to bring a different way of thinking, as far as forming opinions, finding the proper sources for proof, etc...

imperialism2024

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Being educated has nothing to do with an opinion, except that higher education tends to bring a different way of thinking, as far as forming opinions, finding the proper sources for proof, etc...
As evidenced by all of the college students who support the right to keep and bear arms... :lol:

unreconstructed1

imported post

I'll be the first to say that when on a keyboard, theres no telling how jumbled up teh letters in my words are going to become ( the-teh, there-tehre, etc.) this has nothing to do with being illiterate or unintelligent, it merely has to do with being a piss poor typist, and being too azy to go back and edit all of my posts. If a moderator feels the compulsion to go back and edit the grammar of my posts, knock yourself out. the only way that I would have a problem is if the original post was, for example:

" I believe that NFA laws are unconstitutional and should be repealed, as well as all other laws which infringe upon my god given, constitutionally protected rights"

became edited to read, for example:

" I believe that NFA laws are constitutional and should be rejoiced, as well as all other laws whichreasonably restrictupon myunnamed, for fear of offending the other religions,religious icongiven, considerably preposterous rights... Obama/Clinton '08... yeah baby..."

in other words, as long as you edit posts purely for grammatical reasons as opposed to destroying the context of someones post through the edit, then if you must, I really don't see a problem with it, after all as has been said before, this site is the property of teh admins, and their power is delegated to mods. it's not liek its the congress changing what you posted at teh ballot box ( that we know about)

LEO 229

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
If you can't write coherent sentences, you probably shouldn't make it through high school anyway. Too many kids are pushed through. Maybe your parents could have spoken up and tried to make a difference in your schooling. You seem to be doing just fine now, and have, IMO, a VERY respectable career.

The board has pointed out my 30+ years of doing it wrong and I am grateful!!!

I always knew I had a problem but you know... old habits are hard to break.

I think everyone should have a chance to voice their opinion.... background and education have little to do with it.

SQLtables

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
I'll be the first to say that when on a keyboard, theres no telling how jumbled up teh letters in my words are going to become ( the-teh, there-tehre, etc.) this has nothing to do with being illiterate or unintelligent, it merely has to do with being a piss poor typist, and being too azy to go back and edit all of my posts. If a moderator feels the compulsion to go back and edit the grammar of my posts, knock yourself out. the only way that I would have a problem is if the original post was, for example:
Right, but it's usually easy to tell the difference between a typo, and bad grammar/sentence structure, which is the point of this topic I believe.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I think everyone should have a chance to voice their opinion.... background and education have little to do with it.
No one suggested you should delete their posts. I just would like to see the post as originally written, so I can draw my conclusions based on how much apparent thought they gave to what they wrote.

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Does this mean that if I have a masters degree in something that my opinion on open carry should hold more weight then someone with a high school diploma or even a GED?

I think not! You only hold more weight if you are expressing an opinion in something you know about from first hand experience. And then..... it is still just your opinion.
Don't agree. You can't under value education. If I went to law school, I know more about legal writing, key search in a law library, rules of evidence, points of order, etc than you do if you're a cop. You know more than I about writing tickets for 5 over on an interstate, eating doughnuts, etc. (Just kidding...:dude:)

Seriously, knowledge is based upon both learning and experience. Don't underrate either. I'm one who leans towards experience being the stronger leg, but some things you can only learn by being taught what others have discovered. And many of these are intransmutable realities. Experience has little to nothing to do with them.

LEO 229

imported post

asforme wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
No one suggested you should delete their posts. I just would like to see the post as originally written, so I can draw my conclusions based on how much apparent thought they gave to what they wrote.

As I said.... it is VERY RARE to go edit spelling or grammar of a member's post.

Most often this may be done if the post is almost impossible to read without some structure.

Otherwise.... it is left alone.

Gunslinger

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Main Entry:
anile
Pronunciation:
\ˈa-ˌnī(-ə)l, ˈā-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin anilis, from anus old woman
Date:
:of or resembling a doddering old woman; especially :senile

ne1

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
As I said.... it is VERY RARE top go edit spelling or grammar of a member's post.

Most often this may be done if the post is almost impossible to read without some structure.

My question is: If someone posts anile gibberish that is near impossible to read, how can you, with any confidence, edit it to convey what the writer intended? I think it is better to let the original artwork stand on its own merits than to presume to know the author's thoughts. Each member that cares about his/her public image can use the edit function as needed to make his/her own corrections.

Edited to meet the request of the following post.:D

Gunslinger

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Main Entry:
anile
Pronunciation:
ˈa-ˌnī(-ə)l, ˈā-
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin anilis, from anus old woman
Date:
:of or resembling a doddering old woman; especially :senile
Uhhhh, seeing as how the original post magically disappeared, consider this your vocabulary 'word of the day' and try and interject it into a sentence...:uhoh:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
+1

Let idiots write like idiots. Makes them easier to spot in a crowd.
Haha first thing I thought of was...

The Mall Ninja

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

It wouldn't be nearly as funny if the Mods had edited the posts...

These kids want blood, and since they will have to go through me to shed any in my mall, I am constantly doging near misses and ricochets, I have taken to doubling up on my regular regimen on Body armor, as you probaly knwo.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Folks, I'm not perfect, nor are any of the mods or anyone here but if you are having an issue with moderation, please don't just say that "all moderators suck", simply ask which moderator is doing the thing that you object to and address your concerns with him and/or John offline.

I have never and will never reformat your grammer, punctuation, or posts in any way, shape, manner or form. I want to read the OP's post, not my own.

I do delete "Double Taps". If you delete your text and leave in the words "Double Tap", "Double Post" or just "Delete Me", I will delete that post for you as soon as I find it. You can always PM me to let me know.

I will fix a bad link, followed by EDIT - Fixed Bad Link - BobCav

If I have any reason to edit ANYTHING in your post, I will leave:
EDIT - Fixed Whatever/Deleted Objectional Text - BobCav

I have not added state abbreviations to thread titles in the general forum areas, but it does seem to be helpful. It would be even more helpful if the OP's would just do that initially to make it easier for the rest of the forum members. Believe it or not, we do have folks that only look at their state sub-forums and just don't have time for the more "national" issues.

I have on occasion fixed polls at the request of the OP or added polling options that OP's can't add themselves and will always PM the OP and usually say so in the thread.

I have deleted whole threads started by obvious spammers/trolls.

I've locked double threads, merged duplicate threads, moved to the proper forum areas and have locked threads that have spiralled to the abyss, but will always tell you. I don't have to, but I prefer to.

I will helping steer things back on topic when necessary and yes, even I have hijacked threads without thinking. I will, as you have all seen, vigorously defend the board.

These are all things expected of any moderator. But folks, for the 245,753rd time (I counted), moderators cannot do anything more than edit or delete posts and threads. Only John has access to personal information and is the only one that can delete a user's account. To be honest, I'm not even sure if he can suspend an account. Best just to ask him.

I often get complaints that a member is "disruptive" and I can do nothing about that. Would you want me to censor them? Delete their posts so that only the posts of those who agree are left? I hope and pray that OCDO remains a place where UNPOPULAR SPEECH is as respected and revered as is the RTKBA! What next, book burning?

Heated discussions are GREAT! They keep the fires of freedom burning HOT and keep people thinking on their own, not just taking the opinions of one or two as fact. But they must remain respectful and on topic. The finest swords are forged in the hottest of fires.

The best way to keep the trolls and anti's away is to remain steadfast in our beliefs and our freedoms by our examples right here. They will come and try to divide us, making us question our beliefs. Just look at the OC vs CC debates even amongst our own!

Make and keep OCDO a place where they don't even want to come, but not because they'll get bombarded by insults or epithets....(they're used to that and feed on it) but bombarded with facts, laws and good old fashioned American passion.

Always open for constructive criticism and suggestions folks. OK, off the soap box, whose next? ;)

EDIT - Wow, I am long winded, huh? LOL

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I too prefer to see the posts as written. If a moderator has a "terms of service" reason for deleting or modifying or locking, that's one thing. As an editor, however, I know that editing, particularly when not in consultation with an author, frequently changes meaning, tone, or emphasis.

To me, the "education system" argument doesn't hold water. If you want me to believe the education system failed you in writing, then I must also believe it failed you in history, reading, logic, math, et cetera.

When someone posts here, they post their work, their thoughts, and their image. That's what we as readers should be looking for.

Gunslinger

imported post

ne1 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
As I said.... it is VERY RARE to go edit spelling or grammar of a member's post.

My question is: If someone posts anile gibberish that is near impossible to read, how can you, with any confidence, edit it to convey what the writer intended? I think it is better to let the original artwork stand on its own merits than to presume to know the author's thoughts. Each member that cares about his/her public image can use the edit function as needed to make his/her own corrections.

You get the gold star and a picture of Obama in his tribal costume...:?

LEO 229

imported post

ne1 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
As I said.... it is VERY RARE top go edit spelling or grammar of a member's post.

I have only modified the text in one members post and that is because it was one very long run on sentence!

It was absolute murder to read and all I did was break it down to paragraphs. So I added enter keys and this did not change the meaning of what he was trying to say.

I would never assume what someone was trying to say and change the text to read what I believed was being said.

Pointman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I'd comment on that, but I'm being "kept down by the man."

Attachments

• evil_leo229.png
    evil_leo229.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 138