• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition

thx997303

imported post

Hey, I need people to tell me where they have found cheap ammo. I need to get at least 1000rnds for each of my weapons.

I need 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, .38 spcl, 3" 12 ga, and .380 acp. I also need .22, but I'm not so concerned about the price on those.

Mostly worried about getting 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and .38spcl, as these are the weapons that I would rely on in a SHTF scenario.

Also, what would I expect to pay for a good tactical shotgun?

GeneticsDave

imported post

Try Gallenson's in downtown SLC for the ammo. They carry military surplus stuff. Otherwise you can wait for the next Gun Show (September?) and find it there. Jus FYI, buying 1000 for all those calibers is going to cost you a pretty penny (~$600).

As per the tactical shotgun, if cost were a factor (I'm assuming it is) I would get one of the Chinese shotguns from FBMG. For the price, you can't beat the performance. There's also the Saiga-12 which looks like an AK and has a 10 round mag - can't get that in another shotty! If you are looking to up the price/quality a bit, you can get a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870. Call FBMG and ask about their shotties though, as I recall they had a pretty sweet deal on their Chinese tactical guns.

rocknsnow

imported post

The only bad part about trying to get ammo online is the fact that you need to pay for shipping on top of the price that you pay for ammo. Like the 9mm on that website is $177.00 or something close. With a $24 in shipping plus tax you are paying more then you would. I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm or $189 plus tax at rangemasters the other day. And if wasn't reloads. They have a sale going on some ammo right now.

thx997303

imported post

Pretty penny I know, but in the end, I'd rather spend the money, and be able to defend my family in a SHTF scenario is something I cannot put a price on.

I don't want to ever have to rely on a .22 for my sole source of defense.

I wish I had a 9mm, cheaper.

Thanks for the help.

sprat

imported post

Cheap surplus ammo no such thing anymore

those days are long gone, the only relatively cheap ammo is to reload your own and thats not cheap anymore either. most of us older guys bought up what we needed years ago

22cal is still cheap at sportsmans guide/cheaper than dirt, samco has alot of 7.62x39, 7.62x54r was cheap a few years ago sportsmans guide had that too but most is gone.

I don't have time to locate the web sites for youdo a google search and read shotgun news

forget cheap ammo at gunshows expect to pay through the nose, but you will find what you are looking for. get it now as it will only go up!!!!!!!! buy those large capacity mags too whether you use them or not they will be great trading material in the future

sprat

thx997303

imported post

Cheap is relative, So in relation to several years ago, you are right, but take for example the 7.62x54R, comercial for $15/box of 20 vs. at least $20 for the same in .30-06 In relation, it is cheap.

Anyway, the whole purpose of the post was to ask other Utah residents where they get their ammo.

And I agree to get the Hi cap mags, especially with our current pic of potential presidents.

Overall, thank you for nothing, as you added nothing to my knowledge base.

Please refer to GeneticsDave's posts and you will realize why your post was useless.

Thank you.

MountainManXD

imported post

I talked to them at Gallensons about 7.62x39 a month ago, and they said everything was going to be going up soon. The sooner the cheaper.

sprat

imported post

thx

you original post doesn't say anything about buying ammo in utah only

yes cheap is relative and most relatives are cheap,

buying at a gunshow or froma gunshop is never the cheaper way, but hay best of luck

sprat

41 Magnum

imported post

If you're talking bulk- I usually by mine from miwall at the gun shows. Gallensons is good as well.

I work for/with FBMG on occasion also. We do have some bulk ammo on occasion. Call and talk to James or Larry- #571-1160.

Souds wierd, but- Watch the classifieds on KSL for private sales. Sometimes a good deal pops up, but you'll have to be quick.

thx997303

imported post

Deductive reasoning, It's posted in the Utah forum, I'm located in Utah.

Anyway, you are right, as the cheapest I have found locally is $17 more expensive then ordering it online.

Just don't get it as soon.

Anyway good luck to you too.

41 magnum, how much does miwall usually sell it for?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hey, I need people to tell me where they have found cheap ammo. I need to get at least 1000rnds for each of my weapons.

I need 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, .38 spcl, 3" 12 ga, and .380 acp. I also need .22, but I'm not so concerned about the price on those.

Mostly worried about getting 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and .38spcl, as these are the weapons that I would rely on in a SHTF scenario.

Also, what would I expect to pay for a good tactical shotgun?

ammoman.com

And a Remington 870 Express Magnum is g2g as a tactical shotgun.. just add a sling. It holds 7 rounds, even in 3"

P.S.

Pistol Grips are garbage on shotguns, especially from a tactical standpoint.

25077.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cu24sNs_bw

I payed $270 for mine.

GeneticsDave

imported post

If you're planning on walking all over creation and carrying other long range weapons (M16) then sure, put a sling on it. If it's just for home defense or clays, DO NOT put a sling on it.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i just practice with my stevens .22lr... 550 shots at walmart, copper coated for only 12$, as opposed to lead uncoated for 17$... the lead uncoated jam every few rounds. however the BEST working ammo for the stevens .22 is the stinger CCI which is around 5-7$ for 50, but they NEVER jam, after 700 rounds through my rifle, if i put all 50 stingers through, not a jam, and they fly around 1700 fps! i wouldnt doubt that with a well placed shot, a deer or even a moose could go down (and dont tell me a .22 cant kill a moose, a pelletgun will kill a buffalo)

thx997303

imported post

I think I am going to Van Wagenens.

Gunnies has 7.62x54R for about $55-$60, but I am still a little put off on them.

I wish I had the $150 for that stuff that guy has on KSL.

Will soon, but not in time to buy it from him I'm sure.