• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scrap Metal Thieves

imported post

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/028156.html

VIENNA — When the scrap metal thieves came back, Joseph Lord was waiting for them with some metal of his own.
Buckshot.
The thieves took off running after seeing Lord return to his Kimball Pond Road machine shop just before noon today.
And Lord, who had earlier lost several tons of scrap metal — and a lot of sleep — to burglars, shot out the tires and windshield of the pickup he found in his machine shop yard carrying 450 pounds of his scrap metal in the bed.
“I shot out both front tires. I put three rounds through the radiator,” he said. “I put two through the windshield. I put the rear window out and put seven pellets through the seat.”
The suspect or suspects are still running and Kennebec Sheriff’s deputies were chasing them late Tuesday.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I'm thinkin he was more worried about saving the scrap metal they had already loaded into the truck. Stop the truck, save the scrap metal, don't lose a good chunk of money and possibly have to go to court.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
I'm thinkin he was more worried about saving the scrap metal they had already loaded into the truck. Stop the truck, save the scrap metal, don't lose a good chunk of money and possibly have to go to court.
+1

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

This proves that people have the knowledge, and right to protect themselves from deathly encounters, but not the intent or ability.

Everyone reading this needs to sit down and really think about what will happen when you raise your sight picture on another human and press the trigger. I have seen videos of armed security guards cower at the sight of a machete while having a loaded gun on their hip. They carry like its some magical medallion that wards off or scares the bad guys. It doesn't.

Are you ******* ready?

imperialism2024

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
This proves that people have the knowledge, and right to protect themselves from deathly encounters, but not the intent or ability.

Everyone reading this needs to sit down and really think about what will happen when you raise your sight picture on another human and press the trigger. I have seen videos of armed security guards cower at the sight of a machete while having a loaded gun on their hip. They carry like its some magical medallion that wards off or scares the bad guys. It doesn't.
I understand what you're saying, and you make a good point, but I'm trying to figure out how that is brought about by this story...

Trigger Dr

imported post

Simple....He thought about what he would do if he came upon them, and their reaction to his presence. Then he acted accordingly.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perfect solution, gets to keep the metal they loaded in the truck and now they abandoned their truck on his property. He very well may end up with an extra couple tons of scrap metal.

protector84

imported post

I'm sure most of us have thought about it. I have. Open carry, however, does deter most criminals. I see three main exceptions to the rules: mentally ill individuals, criminals who are intoxicated on alcohol or drugs, and criminals who are currently in the act of the crime. A criminal who does not fit the first two categories who is about to start committing a crime will in most cases pick an easier target when he sees the OCer. The third scenario is where the OCer always needs to be aware of his surroundings. If the criminal is already in the process of the crime when the OCer arrives, the criminal is likely to react to the OCer. Simply put, if someone wants to rob a bank and they haven't yet but see someone packing a gun, they will probably leave and hit the bank down the street. If the criminal is already holding up the bank and in the midst of getting his bag filled with money and then sees the OCer, then obviously there is going to be a battle. So again, carry your gun responsibly. Understand the deterrant value but also the fact that you must be ready to use it when needed.