• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letters to Representatives

Pointman

imported post

This thread should be used for sharing letters to Wisconsin representatives.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have shared a number of exchanges with Sen Kohl. He is not a friend of gun rights.
His exchange with Pointman is full of weasel words. When one reads between Kohl's words Pointman is absolutely correct, Sen Kohl does not believe the second amendment gives people the right to use firearms for self protection. He believes it only applies to shooting sports and hunting. Things he doesn't dare challenge in the state of Wisconsin.

smithman

imported post

Kohl gave a nice response typical of a politician.

Here is how I think he stacks up:
Right to own guns? yes. Hunting? yes, but probably not liking it. Carry guns? HA!!! Use guns for self-defense? HA!!! Be limited in liability when using guns for self-defense?? HA!!!

You will always see a liberal put on a show for the public when he goes hunting. This is because he thinks that this is all that guns are good for or should be used for. And in the process he hopes it will make him look more moderate on the issue. John Kerry did it. So have many others.

S.E.WI

imported post

"we have the right to defend ourselves when attacked"

Pointman, to make a point I would like to point out that the Supreme Court has ruled that it is our responsibility to protect ourselves. The right is being denied after we've been told it is up to us.

I like your thread and hope you will take a look at "HELP CREATE...." thread. I'm coming at it from a different angle because these yahoo's are just sending us form letters....I got the same one from Kohl. I welcome suggestions, opinions and information. Please ask if you are not sure of anything I said here or in the other thread. Hope to hear from you.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't be too concerned about the detail or style of grammar. Get the letters out, especially to those up for election. The number one concern of elected politicians is to get re-elected. A letter at this time is likely to have the most effect. After the elections are over and the winners are seated for another two "safe" years the same old "ball game" starts anew.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One important point I forgot to include in my previous post is: If the poitician you address a letter to is up for election ask him/her point blank what their position is concerning open carry of firearms for personal protection. Tell them your vote is dependant on their response to your letter. Politicians have become keenly aware of the power of the internet and that in a few clicks of the keyboard their response and position on a subject can be distributed to thousands of voters.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Lammie wrote:
The number one concern of elected politicians is to get re-elected[my emphasis]... After the elections are over and the winners are seated for another two "safe" years the same old "ball game" starts anew.
Thank you! And when we can make the election of an opponent a viable threat then we will be able to influence legislation.

Safety is a tyrant's tool and on gun control, we the people should be the tyrant.

I suspect Lammie has, but for others, read The Real Nature of Politics and Politicians by Michael I Rothfeld of SABER Communications, widely available but also here http://www.rmgo.org/alerts/RealNature.shtml