• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do any of you that OC or CC have kids?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

asforme wrote:
Great pic SGT Jenson! Though I don't know if it counts as open carrying when the gun is being used to help him stay on his feet.:D Cute kid.
Don't let the Crickett fool you, he can walk on his own... and he is only 11 months!
I won't say anything about you spelling my name wrong. (OOPS, too late! :p)

SIGguy229

imported post

tatersalad wrote:
I am curious as to how many of you that carry have kids and if your kids are with you when you carry. I am thinking about starting to carry soon and have a 4 year old girl, 1 year old girl, and a boy on the way. My wife is not liking the idea of the kids seeing a gun on me and the kids being around it. She is not opposed to open carrying in general though. My kids safety is my top priority and would not carry if I didn't think it would be safe. I've been talking with my oldest about gun safety and if my gun is not on me it is locked in the safe, no exceptions. I'm looking to get either a level 2 or 3 holster to lower the chances of my gun being grabbed or coming loose.

What have your experiences been with kids and you carrying? And for those of you that OC, do people react any different when they see you carrying and your family with you? Any input would be helpful, thanks!
Yes...I carry with my kids around....both school age boys. Never a problem...and I've been OC for about 4 years.

tatersalad

imported post

Thanks for all the input everyone! I've been really busy lately and haven't much time to be on the computer. My son was born on June 16th and we were in the hospital a few days due to complications. He is doing good now, and keeping me and my wife busy with the other two kids fighting for attention. Anyway, I finally got my pistol this weekend, a S&W M&P 9mm! I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and am still rounding up stuff for it like a holster, tactical light, and JHP ammo (having trouble finding Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in the area). FYI I keep it locked in a safe at all times unless it is with me. My wife and mother-in-law's first reaction when they say my new pistol was that it looked fake, lol. She still hasn't warmed up to the idea of me OCing, but it may just take some time. She has never been arouund guns and make her a bit nervous. Perhaps seeing that all of you OC with kids will help convince her. I will probably end up CCing after I get my next pistol, a Kel-Tec PF9. I'll keep you all posted.

imported post

I have three children, 10, 7, and 2 I as well have not opened carry, but seeing what is happening want to raise awareness as well as protect my family,

I need to study some more of the law basically the anwrs to questions I may receive, but I believe we need to get some flyers made up and start raising awareness.

I am sure many of you had thought of this, maybe we can get some local city officials to recognize an open carry day?

Better yet get Butch to open carry.

Semper Fi

badger

imported post

I have a 2 month old daughter, 2year old niece and 5 year old brother who are with me often when IOC. I must admit having kidswith me while OCing has seemed to put some people at ease. I have been asked to leave a few stores due to OCingalone inWashington, even when with my pregnant wife. Haven't had a single negative OC encounter while with one of myshort relatives though.

Personally I think kids should be raised around guns so they have a more realisticperception about them once they grow up. Safety measures observed of course tokeep kids from harm, but first hand exposure is good for them.

-Badger

G

imported post

My daughteris now 18 months. I gotmy CCW when she was about 4 mo. I OC now that its warmer, and I havent seen any different reaction (other than the Tools at WalMart) from anyone around me.

There is little reaction, and most people here on the "East-Side" dont even raise an eyebrow. I would Highly recommend it if your in the correct Mindset.

as far as safety: Just be a person of SERIOUS habit. EVERY time you put it down or take it off, It Has to be locked or disabled.
Better yet, Dont ever put it down.

Navajo

imported post

We have three kids, They are very familiar with a variety of weapons. 14, 11, 9

They help reload and we are able to target practice outside our back door. They help control the whistle pigs, yotes, etc.

They help skin the animals and always want an anatomy lesson before we dump the carcass

We open carry around the house and property, kids also. They have seen the wife and I carry when we travel, campand go on vacation.

MontanaCZ

imported post

My wife and I both OC and CC. My boys are 6 and 8 now, and have known no other way since we have been doing this since before they were born. They don't even notice it, and have not had any issues. It is just a tool, and is a part of what we wear. They have been grilled, same as I did growing up, about respect for any weapon, and the safety rules. At this time the rule is don't touch it and let us know, which we test now and then.

From what I gather, you wife is more afraid of weapons in general without the kids. The kids just become the excuse, or a way to give it traction. If anything, now is the time to need it *more* than you did before kids, at least IMHO.

I do like the airsoft and holster idea though.. hmm...

-MTCZ

Hubby_MC

imported post

Thank you for your welcome and you bet my kids can attend any functions we go to!;)

WifeyMC

imported post

Dear HUBBY that is our oldest is 15 not 14 LOL and yes we do cc and oc with the kids. LOL

Navajo

imported post

MontanaCZ wrote:
.... It is just a tool, and is a part of what we wear...

+1

Exactly, we live out in the country south of town, knife are a must. They carry when out on the land playing . We have yotes, foxes, stray dogs, rattlesnakes, badgers, minks. Lions have been sighted crossing thru the area. I have seen rabid skunks chase after people and wild stuff like that. The kids use the knifes all the time.

They practice and use up 1 to 3 bricks of .22's a week. They can break down and clean all my weapons. They help reload all calibers also.

They have help wrestle calves down and brand them. They help me skin all the above animals because we have had to kill them all on the land here. ( except the skunk)

So for them to wear a knife is no big deal. They are very comfortable with it. They are comfortable with a gun also;)'desensitized' yes.

As far as personal use for self defense, they have had fencing lessons and a couple self defense class. I think they would be OK and would know what to do with them.

vinnie

imported post

I have a six year old and he knows 'da rules' (the big 4). They have been in almost place since he could walk. Besides the big 4 he knows that he can touch or look at any gun he wants as long as he comes and gets me first. Touching any gun without me will bring swift repercussions. they hold no "fascination" for him. He likes them and looks forward to tips to the range and will on ask to go on occasion. when friends come over and happen to see a firearm in the cabinet he is usually rather board with them and moves them on to different play.

CMangrum

imported post

vinnie wrote:
I have a six year old and he knows 'da rules' (the big 4). They have been in almost place since he could walk. Besides the big 4 he knows that he can touch or look at any gun he wants as long as he comes and gets me first. Touching any gun without me will bring swift repercussions. they hold no "fascination" for him. He likes them and looks forward to tips to the range and will on ask to go on occasion. when friends come over and happen to see a firearm in the cabinet he is usually rather board with them and moves them on to different play.
I primarily CC but the kids see me around the house or coming home from the range cleaning up. I have a 6yo and 3.5yo with pretty much the same story as vinnie.

ecocks

imported post

While I have owned guns or been in a home with them all my life, I only began carrying when my youngest was 12.

In my opinion it is essential that our children and the public see weapons carried safely and responsibly if we ever want them to understand that there are no grounds for the "weapons are inherently evil" mentality. Additionally, children are attracted to the forbidden and I am fully on-board with the "better to train them on safety than hide it mentality" as well.

As long as you carry responsibly and confidently I see no problem, although your wife's opinions and philosophies must be considered on an equal footing as yours.

Good Luck!

1245A Defender

imported post

ecocks wrote:
While I have owned guns or been in a home with them all my life, I only began carrying when my youngest was 12.

In my opinion it is essential that our children and the public see weapons carried safely and responsibly if we ever want them to understand that there are no grounds for the "weapons are inherently evil" mentality. Additionally, children are attracted to the forbidden and I am fully on-board with the "better to train them on safety than hide it mentality" as well.

As long as you carry responsibly and copnfidently I see no problem, although your wife'sluck opinions and philosophies must be considered on an equal footing as yours.

Good Luck!
i like your post just fine! but i gotta ask, what is "wife'sluck"?

ecocks

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
ecocks wrote:

As long as you carry responsibly and copnfidently I see no problem, although your wife'sluck opinions and philosophies must be considered on an equal footing as yours.

Good Luck!
i like your post just fine! but i gotta ask, what is "wife'sluck"?
Typing on a REALLY small keyboard on a crowded tabletop in a Barnes and Noble...

I must have mistyped the "luck" from the final "Good Luck" and not fully corrected it when I retyped the missing piece before submitting.

TY for the query!