• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't Take It For Granted.

JB

imported post

Well I've been in Hawaii for about a month (without my guns) and I'm starting to miss Idaho. I feel somewhat helpless walking around hoping I won't need to defend myself. Never knew how good I had it back home.

MachOne.45ACP

Ewa Beach (Middle of the Pacific), Hawaii, USA
imported post

Well, unless you do something really stupid, you needn't worry about not having your handgun to protect yourself. Considering the population density, Hawaii is probably one of the safest places I have lived, barring my home state of Montana (Howdy neighbor!). That being said, I would still like very much to see changes in this state made to allow at least a little freedom when it comes to what I do with my guns and when & how I do it.

When I came to Hawaii in 1986, I was very disappointed to find that the laws here are so restrictive. I see from this website that we are the 5th most restrictive in the country. Comparatively, I had concealed permits for both Montana and Washington state, but can't even open-carry here. I did a little research and found that the only way to get a permit to carry concealed here is to be a law enforcement officer!

http://hawaii.gov/ag/LEO/271181-1-applic-soh-firearm-certif.pdf

MachOne.45ACP

Ewa Beach (Middle of the Pacific), Hawaii, USA
imported post

MachOne.45ACP wrote:
Well, unless you do something really stupid, you needn't worry about not having your handgun to protect yourself.
This is NOT to be mistaken as me saying I don't think we should have the right to carry our firearms.

If LEGAL weapon carry was supported in Hawaii, this may not have happened:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=10026073&nav=menu55_2

Royal Kaukani would have had the opportunity to protect herself.

BTW,I have a couple of comments on the story on the website (bottom of article).

bjr229

imported post

MachOne.45ACP wrote:
Well, unless you do something really stupid, you needn't worry about not having your handgun to protect yourself. Considering the population density, Hawaii is probably one of the safest places I have lived, barring my home state of Montana (Howdy neighbor!). That being said, I would still like very much to see changes in this state made to allow at least a little freedom when it comes to what I do with my guns and when & how I do it.
I am not so sure about this. We visited Hawaii for a week in April. We went hiking every day. Every trail head had warnings about not leaving valuables in your car. Several had broken glass and such that looked to be from car windows. The house we rented had alarms and stern warnings about the crime in the area.

I couldn't wait to get back to nice safe Idaho. We don't need alarms on our home, and the trail heads are safe to park your truck.