• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to WA

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
joeroket wrote:
No. The law states;

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

The problem with the language is the word "in". My opinion is that if you are operating or a passenger of anything that is considered a vehicle then it is illegal without a CPL.
I sure was breaking the law on my boat before I got a CPL... I don't see an exception for when a vehicle is used for habitation as well, although I suppose that would fall under the being able to carry at home...

As far as carrying when underway I keep a loaded rifle. Wonder how that would play out?
It would not even be a factor. A vehicle is defined as capable of being moved upon a public highway. Unless you are living in an amphicar I do see the application of vehicle carrying to boats.

Jeep Guy

Tawnos wrote:
No. The law states;

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

The problem with the language is the word "in". My opinion is that if you are operating or a passenger of anything that is considered a vehicle then it is illegal without a CPL.

So does this mean i can have a loaded gun in the car with me (in center console, passenger seat, glove box, ect.) as long as im in the vehicle with my CPL or the loaded gun must be on my body while in the vehicle with my CPL

Trigger Dr

So does this mean i can have a loaded gun in the car with me (in center console, passenger seat, glove box, ect.) as long as im in the vehicle with my CPL or the loaded gun must be on my body while in the vehicle with my CPL

If you have the CPL, you can have the gun loaded, unloaded, on your person, in the console, under the seat,duct taped to your forehead.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If you have the CPL, you can have the gun loaded, unloaded, on your person, in the console, under the seat,duct taped to your forehead.

BUT, if for some reason you leave the gun IN the CAR and you exit THEN the gun MUST be out of sight and in a locked container (I DO believe that a fully locked vehicle WOULD BE A LOCKED CONTAINER.)

Last edited:

therealcombat

I noticed you guys are using the word "gun" instead of "pistol" when talking about loaded carry in vehicle. I'd like to point out that CPL only allows loaded pistols in a vehicle. There is no exception for CPL holders with loaded rifles and shotguns.

RCW 77.15.460

sudden valley gunner

I noticed you guys are using the word "gun" instead of "pistol" when talking about loaded carry in vehicle. I'd like to point out that CPL only allows loaded pistols in a vehicle. There is no exception for CPL holders with loaded rifles and shotguns.

RCW 77.15.460

Good clarification, I think most of us assume pistols since long gun discussion isn't a much talked about subject here. :D

antispam540

Yeah, I work for a local school district, so I know how touchy things are with keeping guns in your vehicle on work property. At least with Microsoft, you could keep it out of sight in the console - they won't search your car without cause, and, even if they decide they want to search it, you can choose to say "no" and leave their employ without any "black marks" on your company record.

Welcome to Washington, and good luck!

tannerwaterbury

Yeah, I work for a local school district, so I know how touchy things are with keeping guns in your vehicle on work property. At least with Microsoft, you could keep it out of sight in the console - they won't search your car without cause, and, even if they decide they want to search it, you can choose to say "no" and leave their employ without any "black marks" on your company record.

Welcome to Washington, and good luck!

LOL check the date of his posting: it was in 2008. Still, its nice to welcome him to the area even though its 3 years since that posting.

Tawnos

Not really worth it to me. I like my job and fellow employees, and I'd love to get the policy changed, but it's going to take movement within the HR division. As it stands, if I want to do something shooting sports related after work, I make a 30 minute drive home then another drive to wherever (usually backtracking). So much for "being green" with commute policies.

therealcombat

... is a pistol

Yes and no. There are revolver carbines. The legal definition of pistol has more to do with barrel length than the type of action.

RCW 9.41.010 said:
(13) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

1873_revolver_carbine_lg.jpg

Last edited:

Tawnos

By the way, how are you liking Washington? In case someone forgot to tell you, it rains here. ;)

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. My girlfriend has a much harder time with it. Doesn't even rain all that much, but it constantly threatens to.

gsx1138

It makes OC'ing more of a spring/summer event. I wear the same holster all the time but it's either raining where I'm at or just cold. As much as I like representing for the cause I'm not freezing my nipples off for it. :)

Trigger Dr

It makes OC'ing more of a spring/summer event. I wear the same holster all the time but it's either raining where I'm at or just cold. As much as I like representing for the cause I'm not freezing my nipples off for it. :)

Wuss

sudden valley gunner

I OC my Glock in all weather just give it a wipe down, and I'm good to go.