• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Indiana Jones movie...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Did anyone else notice that one of the BHPs (or 1911s, I couldn't tell) used in the movie had an external extractor? How hard is it to get period-accurate firearms for a high budget movie? And another interesting fact: Not a single shot was fired by a "good guy" in the entire movie. :?

imperialism2024

imported post

Though I think you implied it, I'm guessing that those making the movies aren't so much concerned about the histrical and mechanical correctness of the guns, but moreso their "guns! scary! evil!" effect.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

You're suprised about this when they CGI'd out all of the guns from E.T. and replaced them with walkie talkies? I saw it on TV the other day -- was funny as hell to see a guy 'clearing' the back of a van with a walkie talkie.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wynder wrote:
You're suprised about this when they CGI'd out all of the guns from E.T. and replaced them with walkie talkies? I saw it on TV the other day -- was funny as hell to see a guy 'clearing' the back of a van with a walkie talkie.
Can someone post a link to a video clip of this? I wasn't aware they had done that..

tarzan1888

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Did anyone else notice that one of the BHPs (or 1911s, I couldn't tell) used in the movie had an external extractor? How hard is it to get period-accurate firearms for a high budget movie? And another interesting fact: Not a single shot was fired by a "good guy" in the entire movie. :?

I enjoyed the movie.

I did so because I not only ignored the minor gun problems, but the major scientific problems as well. Of course I have to do that with most movies...I just tell myself....Its a movie...not an art form or anything else.

I turn off the analytical part of my brain and just enjoy.

Tarzan

VApatriot

imported post

DreQo wrote:
And another interesting fact: Not a single shot was fired by a "good guy" in the entire movie. :?

Well, Indy did used his gun to save their lives without even having to fire a shot. That was one of the more realistic parts of the movie.

I still can't get over the fact that they could expect use to believe that the commies could put that much lead in the air withoutsomeoneeven beinghit by a piece of shrapnel. . . but it is just a movie.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I enjoyed the movie.

I did so because I not only ignored the minor gun problems, but the major scientific problems as well. Of course I have to do that with most movies...I just tell myself....Its a movie...not an art form or anything else.

I turn off the analitical part of my brain and just enjoy.

Tarzan
So you did enjoy it? Even with the gun and scientific problems aside, I still thought it was a flop. :?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Wynder wrote:
Where's that puke emoticon when you need it...
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
puke.gif

tarzan1888

imported post

DreQo wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I enjoyed the movie.

I turn off the analytical part of my brain and just enjoy.

Tarzan
So you did enjoy it? Even with the gun and scientific problems aside, I still thought it was a flop. :?

Yea I enjoyed it.....But you have to realize that My wife and Kids believe that I Think I am Indiana Jones.......I don't

Indiana Jones, is a fictitious anthropologist, who wears a brown fedora, and a brown leather jacket, carries a whip and a gun and wonders around in the jungles, ignoring sound anthropological scientific practices and looks for treasure in the ground.

I, on the other hand am a real life geologist, who wears a brown fedora, and a brown leather jacket, carries a whip and a gun and wonders around in the jungles, observing sound geological scientific practices and looks for treasure in the ground.

We have nothing in common.

Below is a picture of me doing field work in Kentucky. You can plainly see that we are nothing alike.

Tarzan

Attachments

• Indy in KY 002.jpg
    Indy in KY 002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 150

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Indiana Jones is certainly not nearly as blurry as you are :p

What can I say..... The guy who was with me is in his 70's and can't hold a camera steady.

Tarzan

Here is one in my motel room that is not so fuzzy.

Attachments

• Indyf004.jpg
    Indyf004.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 128

kenshin

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Indiana Jones, is a fictitious anthropologist, who wears a brown fedora, and a brown leather jacket, carries a whip and a gun and wonders around in the jungles, ignoring sound anthropological scientific practices and looks for treasure in the ground.

I, on the other hand am a real life geologist, who wears a brown fedora, and a brown leather jacket, carries a whip and a gun and wonders around in the jungles, observing sound geological scientific practices and looks for treasure in the ground.

We have nothing in common.

Below is a picture of me doing field work in Kentucky. You can plainly see that we are nothing alike.

Tarzan
Careful, Steven Spielberg might sue you for copyright infringment.:D

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Indiana Jones is certainly not nearly as blurry as you are :p

What can I say..... The guy who was with me is in his 70's and can't hold a camera steady.

Tarzan

Here is one in my motel room that is not so fuzzy.
you're lucky this is an OC forum, or I'd fire up photoshop and make you cry with laughter.