• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Search?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bflamante wrote:
Outsider wrote
I personally think "officer safety" is too broad for this type of thing. Given I want our "men in (whatever color their agency uniform is)" to be safe, but not at the expense of my rights.

All they need is reasonable suspicion that you have committed, are committing or are about to commit a crime.
I think a lot of officers that stop to check OCers if they are legal don't meet this requirement and think that "officer/public safety" clears them to disarm a law-biding citizen and check his weapon.
I completely agree with the need for office safty. Given that statement, what are the laws? If officer safety is needed and laws do not allow disarming a citizen, then change is appropriate. I just want LEO to have to follow the law.

My other concern is why does having a law abiding citizen OC constitute a danger to an officer? Officers dont confiscate keys to cars during traffic stops. Holsters are considered a secure storage for a gun. So whats the big deal. What happened to trusting citizens? Maybe I am just being naive.
Not to start an argument, BUT...

Agreed on officer safety. As some of you may know, my brother is active LE and my father is retired LE. I would never want anything bad to happen to them, or any LE for that matter!

That being said, there are lots of things that are illegal. During a traffic stop we all agree we are being detained on suspicion of violating traffic law. During such a detention, the officer may disarm you for his safety. But...

It's illegal to have marijuana. Does the fact that he found a pack of Marlboros in my pocket during the pat down give the officer the right to search the pack of cigarettes to make sure there's no joints in there?

It's illegal to hire a prostitute. Does the fact that a good looking woman is in my car give the officer the right to detain and interrogate her to make sure she's not 'working'?

It's illegal to carry a loaded gun without a permit. Does the fact that my firearm was temporarily seized for officer safety give the officer the right to search it to verify it is not chambered? I would suggest not. He may temporarily seize it for officer safety. Unless I give him permission to search it (ALWAYS POLITELY REFUSE), he has illegally searched, and whether it is loaded or not, the results of his search would violate the exceptions granted under Terry and be inadmissable.

Those who may disagree, let me only point out that the firearm is not being seized as evidence of a crime (in which case the police are free to search and conduct whatever tests upon it they desire in order to acquire incriminating information), but rather to protect officer safety. I believe this distinction was made in the Terry case to limit the infringement upon the 4th amendment. Clearly there is a need for officer safety, but that need is limited in scope. The permitted temporary seizure in the name of officer safety ensures I do not shoot the officer, not that the property violates any laws. As such, so long as the officer is safe from having said firearm used against him, he should not be permitted any further liberties with my property. Sitting on his seat, chambered or not, the firearm no longer represents a threat of my using it to shoot him, which is the only reason he was able to seize it in the first place.

OTOH, without a permit, those who may OC a Glock (and maybe other pistols) should be cognizant of the "chambered" indicator tab. It's obviously recommended you do not depend on such a tab (and manually clear the weapon to verify it is not loaded), the presence of that tab, and the positive indication thereof should in fact be enough reasonable cause to justify the search to determine whether the weapon is actually loaded.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

timf343 wrote:

It's illegal to carry a loaded gun without a permit. Does the fact that my firearm was temporarily seized for officer safety give the officer the right to search it to verify it is not chambered? I would suggest not. He may temporarily seize it for officer safety. Unless I give him permission to search it (ALWAYS POLITELY REFUSE), he has illegally searched, and whether it is loaded or not, the results of his search would violate the exceptions granted under Terry and be inadmissable.
While an interesting legal argument (and while I don't care for current, laws and rulings giving police such broad powers to disarm) I think any officer can make a very find case based on standard and accepted SAFETY rules of conduct when handling any firearm. What is the FIRST thing YOU do when picking up a firearm? Double checking the chamber is certainly not an unusual thing for many of us to answer there.

Indeed, one can make the case that any gun you are not about to shoot, nor carrying for self defense should be unloaded.

IOW, the officer is not necessarily "searching" the weapon to see whether it is loaded or not. He is simply practicing reasonable and well accepted safe handling procedures. Again, I don't necessarily care for the laws that allow officers to disarm so broadly in the first place. But once an officer has legal cause to take your gun, it seems only prudent for him to check the chamber and drop the magazine just as so many of us would do when picking up a firearm.

Now, whether the results of this safety procedure should be admissable as evidence is another very interesting question.

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

timf343 wrote:
Bflamante wrote:
Outsider wrote
I personally think "officer safety" is too broad for this type of thing. Given I want our "men in (whatever color their agency uniform is)" to be safe, but not at the expense of my rights.

All they need is reasonable suspicion that you have committed, are committing or are about to commit a crime.
I think a lot of officers that stop to check OCers if they are legal don't meet this requirement and think that "officer/public safety" clears them to disarm a law-biding citizen and check his weapon.
I completely agree with the need for office safty. Given that statement, what are the laws? If officer safety is needed and laws do not allow disarming a citizen, then change is appropriate. I just want LEO to have to follow the law.

My other concern is why does having a law abiding citizen OC constitute a danger to an officer? Officers dont confiscate keys to cars during traffic stops. Holsters are considered a secure storage for a gun. So whats the big deal. What happened to trusting citizens? Maybe I am just being naive.
Not to start an argument, BUT...

Agreed on officer safety. As some of you may know, my brother is active LE and my father is retired LE. I would never want anything bad to happen to them, or any LE for that matter!

That being said, there are lots of things that are illegal. During a traffic stop we all agree we are being detained on suspicion of violating traffic law. During such a detention, the officer may disarm you for his safety. But...

It's illegal to have marijuana. Does the fact that he found a pack of Marlboros in my pocket during the pat down give the officer the right to search the pack of cigarettes to make sure there's no joints in there?

It's illegal to hire a prostitute. Does the fact that a good looking woman is in my car give the officer the right to detain and interrogate her to make sure she's not 'working'?

Those who may disagree, let me only point out that the firearm is not being seized as evidence of a crime (in which case the police are free to search and conduct whatever tests upon it they desire in order to acquire incriminating information), but rather to protect officer safety. I believe this distinction was made in the Terry case to limit the infringement upon the 4th amendment. Clearly there is a need for officer safety, but that need is limited in scope. The permitted temporary seizure in the name of officer safety ensures I do not shoot the officer, not that the property violates any laws. As such, so long as the officer is safe from having said firearm used against him, he should not be permitted any further liberties with my property. Sitting on his seat, chambered or not, the firearm no longer represents a threat of my using it to shoot him, which is the only reason he was able to seize it in the first place.
If the officer handles it, he better empty it. I have seen many a cop put their finger on the trigger while handling a firearm.The firearm needs to be made safe if not in the holster for the safty of the officer and the citizen. The only way to do that is lock slide with no mag or empty the cylinder. If he happens to find one in the chamber when making safe that would be no different than pulling you over for speeding and finding the 10 pounds of pot sitting in the back seat. If safty is the basis for handling the arm, then anything in the process of making safe is fair game. When they find one in the chamber then they would at that point verify for legal compliance for open carrying a loaded weapon.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bflamante wrote:
If the officer handles it, he better empty it. I have seen many a cop put their finger on the trigger while handling a firearm.The firearm needs to be made safe if not in the holster for the safty of the officer and the citizen. The only way to do that is lock slide with no mag or empty the cylinder. If he happens to find one in the chamber when making safe that would be no different than pulling you over for speeding and finding the 10 pounds of pot sitting in the back seat. If safty is the basis for handling the arm, then anything in the process of making safe is fair game. When they find one in the chamber then they would at that point verify for legal compliance for open carrying a loaded weapon.
I do not necessarily disagree with you here...clearing a firearm is SOP.

However, a cop putting their finger on the trigger?? Especially of an UNKNOWN weapon??? At risk of smudging fingerprints possibly incriminating of an as-yet unknown crime? The excepted infringement upon the 4th amendment is to protect the suspect from shooting the cop. It is NOT to protect the cop from being a complete moron.

With your example, the 10 pounds of pot is clearly visible. If it were under the seat, there's no reason the cop should find it. Again, he's not allowed to illegally search, so he can't look under the seat even though he's temporarily seized you and your car to investigate the suspected traffic infraction.. In the same way, he's disarmed you legally, but only to prevent the weapon from being used against him, not because the weapon is part of his investigation or suspected evidence. In that way, he should not be permitted to search it.

To go one step further, what if I'm wearing a paddle holster, and after explaining he will be disarming me for his safety, I suggest he simply remove the entire holster. It not only satisfies the reason he is allowed to disarm me in the first place, but also maintains a secure state of the weapon by also eliminating (most of) the risks of handling an unknown weapon. Would he still be justified in unholstering the pistol and clearing it? I of course understand not everyone wears paddle holsters, just a thought...

Notwithstanding anything I just said, utbagpiper raises a very interesting question - in the process of clearing the weapon, despite my objection, would any discovered incriminating evidence be admissable?

And since you're never wrong if you stand on both sides of the fence, I'll go ahead and do just that. :) An officer may not search your shed without a warrant...but if he's in the process of chasing a bad guy who decides to hide in your shed, the officer does not need a warrant to enter the shed to capture him. If he discovers a stash of pot, he may collect it as evidence and possibly charge the shed owner with possession. An obvious defense would be that the bad guy, nearing capture, ditched the stash to try and avoid compounded charges, but the warrantless search is still legal.

I just wish it were clearer. It's hard enough to try to understand all the laws you're expected to obey, especially considering "ignorance is no excuse", but when you make an effort to understand as many laws as possible, and the language is ambiguous or open to interpretation, how can ANYONE be sure they're not breaking any laws?

colormered

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Bflamante wrote:
I do not necessarily disagree with you here...clearing a firearm is SOP.

However, a cop putting their finger on the trigger?? Especially of an UNKNOWN weapon??? At risk of smudging fingerprints possibly incriminating of an as-yet unknown crime? The excepted infringement upon the 4th amendment is to protect the suspect from shooting the cop. It is NOT to protect the cop from being a complete moron.

With your example, the 10 pounds of pot is clearly visible. If it were under the seat, there's no reason the cop should find it. Again, he's not allowed to illegally search, so he can't look under the seat even though he's temporarily seized you and your car to investigate the suspected traffic infraction.. In the same way, he's disarmed you legally, but only to prevent the weapon from being used against him, not because the weapon is part of his investigation or suspected evidence. In that way, he should not be permitted to search it.

To go one step further, what if I'm wearing a paddle holster, and after explaining he will be disarming me for his safety, I suggest he simply remove the entire holster. It not only satisfies the reason he is allowed to disarm me in the first place, but also maintains a secure state of the weapon by also eliminating (most of) the risks of handling an unknown weapon. Would he still be justified in unholstering the pistol and clearing it? I of course understand not everyone wears paddle holsters, just a thought...

Notwithstanding anything I just said, utbagpiper raises a very interesting question - in the process of clearing the weapon, despite my objection, would any discovered incriminating evidence be admissable?

And since you're never wrong if you stand on both sides of the fence, I'll go ahead and do just that. :) An officer may not search your shed without a warrant...but if he's in the process of chasing a bad guy who decides to hide in your shed, the officer does not need a warrant to enter the shed to capture him. If he discovers a stash of pot, he may collect it as evidence and possibly charge the shed owner with possession. An obvious defense would be that the bad guy, nearing capture, ditched the stash to try and avoid compounded charges, but the warrantless search is still legal.

I just wish it were clearer. It's hard enough to try to understand all the laws you're expected to obey, especially considering "ignorance is no excuse", but when you make an effort to understand as many laws as possible, and the language is ambiguous or open to interpretation, how can ANYONE be sure they're not breaking any laws?
According to the justice system, that's YOUR problem, not theirs.....