• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hassled in a durham pawn shop

dwetnight

imported post

I was making my regular biweekly stop the National Pawn on Roxboro St. in Durham yesterday evening on my way home from work. After a few minutes of looking around the store I was approached by one of the clerks. She started off by asking for my concealed permit, which is odd as I was not concealing my .45. After I frustrated her by telling her that I did not have a permit and did not need one to open carry in NC, she walked off. A few minutes latter I was approached by the manager who it seems was trying to get me to take my gun out of the store without actually saying that I had to leave. She asked me if I thought it was a good idea to carry when it was making her employees nervus because it was a bad part of town. I countered that I would be nervus in that part of town without my pistol. She tried to tell me that I could not carry there because they were considered a financial institution, which I countered by telling her that open carry in banks was legal if the door was not posted with a sign indicating otherwise, her door was not posted. I asked her I she wanted me to leave, she wouldn't say that she did. She kept asking me if I wanted to "push the issue", which was a bit confusing, as I was minding my own business until they bothered me. Once she exhosted all of her arguments short of asking me to leave she gave up and I continued looking around the store for a few more minutes before continuing home. I found the whole event rather amusing, especially for a place that buys and sells guns in a "bad" part of town.

I am curious to know if anyone here has info on the pawn shop as financial institution issue. I would not imagine that they would qualify for the same concealed carry prohabition as banks, but I don't know for sure.

This is my first encounter with resistance since I started open carrying. I carry pretty much everywhere possible since I started in Dec. I intend to continue open carry in this pawn shop until they put up a sign or actually tell me that I can not. If they do so I guess I will have to stop shopping there.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like you handled things well. I think it's funny when people confront you but then wont tell you what they want. I also think it's funny when people use the "this is a bad neighborhood" argument as a reason NOT to have a gun, lol.

Anyway I severely doubt that a pawn shopcould beconsidered a financial institution, and even if it is, open carry would still be legal.

Decoligny

imported post

I don't know about N.C. but in some states pawn shops are considered "financial institutions" because they are providing secured loans to thier customers. They also happen to be selling off the unclaimed collateral from customers who "defaulted" on thier loans.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Pawn shops aren't listed on the restricted list, and I carry into every pawn shop I come accross. I've never met more resistance than a guy asking if I wanted to sell my side arm.

jack

Banned
imported post

Custodian wrote:
But open carry is the ONLY carry legal in North Carolina for "financial institutions". And dude, seriously, Roxboro road? You should be dual handgunning it around there!

Seriously is that area really that bad (Roxboro road) ?

Maybe it's a" take the Mossberg with you" neighborhood.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Custodian wrote:
But open carry is the ONLY carry legal in North Carolina for "financial institutions".
Please explain and cite to authority.
I don't have the cite at the moment, but this fact has been covered thoroughly in other threads. NC law specifically restricts"concealed" handguns from financial institutions, making open carry perfectly legal. I've tested this in multiple locations and am still alive and kicking with no criminal or arrest record to speak of :D.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Mike wrote:
Custodian wrote:
But open carry is the ONLY carry legal in North Carolina for "financial institutions".
Please explain and cite to authority.
I don't have the cite at the moment, but this fact has been covered thoroughly in other threads. NC law specifically restricts"concealed" handguns from financial institutions, making open carry perfectly legal. I've tested this in multiple locations and am still alive and kicking with no criminal or arrest record to speak of :D.
Well post it here when you find it.

Custodian

imported post

jack wrote:
Custodian wrote:
But open carry is the ONLY carry legal in North Carolina for "financial institutions". And dude, seriously, Roxboro road? You should be dual handgunning it around there!

Seriously is that area really that bad (Roxboro road) ?

Maybe it's a" take the Mossberg with you" neighborhood.
I moved far away from that area for a reason, it gets bad around there. Sad really, I used to go to the elementary school in that area, an age ago.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
...Well post it here when you find it.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html
(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
I added the emphasis, obviously. This is the only time that afinancial institution and handguns, firearms, or anything else similiar are mentioned at the same time in NC law. So, as was previously mentioned, the carriage of concealed handguns is restricted in financial institutions,but since open carry is NOT restricted, it is of course legal.

dukefanone

Pawnshop

Dera Sir, I just came upon this thread (a few years too late). I am actually the woman who was speaking with you in the pawnshop on Roxboro Rd. First of all I would like to apoligize If the situation was confusing or uncomfortable to you in anyway. I have been there 10 years and before that sold firearms in Florida for years. It was never my intention to make you uncomfortable. Actually pawnshops do fall under the same guidelines as banks in NC, so we are considered financial institutions by the State. And yes we do not opt to post a sign on the door simply because of the amount of customers we have who are dealing in firearm transactions. That is exactly why neither I or my manager ever asked you to remove the firearm from the store. If I may explain further, In my recolection of the event even though it was a few years ago: whether unwitingly by you, your firearm was concealed for a few mins. You may not have been aware of it, maybe your shirt fell over it for a short period of time, but that is what caught my attention. Simply talking with you did aleviate our concerns and of course we did not want a valuble customer to be asked to leave so you never were. During that time there had been several robberies in the area involving firearms (again it is Roxboro Rd ,lol) so I noticed the firearm. Even though we sell a large number of firearms, not many people come in shopping with them. Again, please accept my apology if you were made to feel uncomfortable and I hope you are still a customer of ours. My only regret is seeing this thread so late and I hope you see my response. My name is Angela and I ask that you come in and introduce yourself and I will try and make up for it with a very good deal on another firearm! PS We do carry some other firearms in the back that simply attract too much attention on the sales floor. Thank you and again Sorry! :banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting necro post.

Can't imagine how you found the thread, but hope the OP see's it.

Doubt that dwetnight will see your reply. He seems to have dropped off the forum - last post was 7/5/09.

Last edited:

firedog

Dera Sir, I just came upon this thread (a few years too late). I am actually the woman who was speaking with you in the pawnshop on Roxboro Rd. First of all I would like to apoligize If the situation was confusing or uncomfortable to you in anyway. I have been there 10 years and before that sold firearms in Florida for years. It was never my intention to make you uncomfortable. Actually pawnshops do fall under the same guidelines as banks in NC, so we are considered financial institutions by the State. And yes we do not opt to post a sign on the door simply because of the amount of customers we have who are dealing in firearm transactions. That is exactly why neither I or my manager ever asked you to remove the firearm from the store. If I may explain further, In my recolection of the event even though it was a few years ago: whether unwitingly by you, your firearm was concealed for a few mins. You may not have been aware of it, maybe your shirt fell over it for a short period of time, but that is what caught my attention. Simply talking with you did aleviate our concerns and of course we did not want a valuble customer to be asked to leave so you never were. During that time there had been several robberies in the area involving firearms (again it is Roxboro Rd ,lol) so I noticed the firearm. Even though we sell a large number of firearms, not many people come in shopping with them. Again, please accept my apology if you were made to feel uncomfortable and I hope you are still a customer of ours. My only regret is seeing this thread so late and I hope you see my response. My name is Angela and I ask that you come in and introduce yourself and I will try and make up for it with a very good deal on another firearm! PS We do carry some other firearms in the back that simply attract too much attention on the sales floor. Thank you and again Sorry! :banghead:
Hello NC guys,
I don't live in NC "yet" but I think this lady is pretty cool to post this.

dukefanone

Thanks

@ Grapeshot....thanks, and thats too bad the OP might not see it. Its seems as if I have seen him again in there opting his right to open carry over the past few years. Hopefully he still is a customer. I actually found the post by googleing the store out of boredem and was very taken back by it.
@ Firedog...Thanks for that, I dont feel so bad about it now. :lol: You said you dont live in NC "yet". I hope when you do move here you will stop in......National Pawn on Roxboro Rd. in Durham. I promise I wont ask to see your concealed Carry Permit! lol Angela

dukefanone

Site please? this is the first I've ever heard that pawnshops are considered the same as banks.... thanks

@ aosailor...I tried to find the NC statue regarding pawnshops and I apologize I do not have the #. Pawnshops fall under the non-depository division of each States Financial Institution. Pawnshop licences are regulated under this branch of businesses.