• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hassled in a durham pawn shop

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

rotorhead

Dera Sir, I just came upon this thread (a few years too late). I am actually the woman who was speaking with you in the pawnshop on Roxboro Rd. First of all I would like to apoligize If the situation was confusing or uncomfortable to you in anyway. I have been there 10 years and before that sold firearms in Florida for years. It was never my intention to make you uncomfortable. Actually pawnshops do fall under the same guidelines as banks in NC, so we are considered financial institutions by the State. And yes we do not opt to post a sign on the door simply because of the amount of customers we have who are dealing in firearm transactions. That is exactly why neither I or my manager ever asked you to remove the firearm from the store. If I may explain further, In my recolection of the event even though it was a few years ago: whether unwitingly by you, your firearm was concealed for a few mins. You may not have been aware of it, maybe your shirt fell over it for a short period of time, but that is what caught my attention. Simply talking with you did aleviate our concerns and of course we did not want a valuble customer to be asked to leave so you never were. During that time there had been several robberies in the area involving firearms (again it is Roxboro Rd ,lol) so I noticed the firearm. Even though we sell a large number of firearms, not many people come in shopping with them. Again, please accept my apology if you were made to feel uncomfortable and I hope you are still a customer of ours. My only regret is seeing this thread so late and I hope you see my response. My name is Angela and I ask that you come in and introduce yourself and I will try and make up for it with a very good deal on another firearm! PS We do carry some other firearms in the back that simply attract too much attention on the sales floor. Thank you and again Sorry! :banghead:

I think it's commendable that you came here to explain your side, no matter how old the original post is. A story is never complete without at least both sides presented :)

And never worry about how old a thread is. If the information is pertinent I see no reason why it shouldn't be added.

Last edited:

Spearhead

I hate to jump in three years too late, but it appears that a pawnshop technically is a "financial institution":

NCGS 53B-2
(2) "Financial institution" means a banking corporation, trust company, savings and loan association, credit union, or other entity principally engaged in the business of lending money or receiving or soliciting money on deposit.
(emphasis added by me)

Would this mean if I buy a gun at a pawn shop and they put it in a bag for me after the sale that I am breaking federal law?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I hate to jump in three years too late, but it appears that a pawnshop technically is a "financial institution":

NCGS 53B-2

(emphasis added by me)

Would this mean if I buy a gun at a pawn shop and they put it in a bag for me after the sale that I am breaking federal law?

Excuse me, sir. Would you step over here for a moment.
Please keep your hands where I can see them. :uhoh:

jerz_subbie

Hmm interesting thread... I think it's very commendable that you(Angela) came on here, posted your side, and apologized!

Also, though I've never stepped foot in a pawn shop so it doesn't effect me, I'm surprised to see that they may in fact be considered "financial institutions" and therefore subject to the same carry laws as a bank. It's understandable, just a bit surprising.

razor_baghdad

~snip~ A story is never complete without at least both sides presented :)

And never worry about how old a thread is. If the information is pertinent I see no reason why it shouldn't be added.

Hey rotor.....duke fan one.....great post and unfortunately here we mostly see the one-sided story of harassment from the local un-armed civilian populace or the jack booted LEO's who reign in their unarmed populace by means of re-writing 2A to suit their own needs.

Refreshing to see your follow-up!