• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Larry's Guns Again.......

ElJefe1911

imported post

I just wanted to pass along the news that Larry's Guns is under new ownership now. I know there has been problems in the past but all open carry is now more than welcome in the store.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Interesting news.......thanks for the update. Where is this store again?
It's on the DNP List: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/3630.html

I'm glad to hear they've turned around... forgive me for being suspicious, but could someone I know in person do a check so I can confidently remove them from the list? I've wanted them off the list for a while now; I don't like having gun shops on there, just seems wrong.

ElJefe1911

imported post

Please feel free to stop by anytime and see us introduce yourselves so we can put a face with the name. We are currently open 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday thru Saturday. The name of the shop will remain Larry's Guns until we receive our FFL. Once the BATFE gets us that important little piece of paper we will have our Grand Opening and change the name on the store and everything else. The new owners names are Jeff and Jeremy.

just_a_car

imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
Please feel free to stop by anytime and see us introduce yourselves so we can put a face with the name. We are currently open 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday thru Saturday. The name of the shop will remain Larry's Guns until we receive our FFL. Once the BATFE gets us that important little piece of paper we will have our Grand Opening and change the name on the store and everything else. The new owners names are Jeff and Jeremy.
Wait... YOU'RE the new owner?!

...or is that just a coincidence? If not, congrats!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
I just wanted to pass along the news that Larry's Guns is under new ownership now. I know there has been problems in the past but all open carry is now more than welcome in the store.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
Cool. Now I can shop there again. They didn't do layaway, which always sucked, but they had some great prices on gently used handguns and used longarms. I'll have to pop back in there.

So what happen, Larry tired of running the place, or did his attitude scare off all his customers?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
Your shop? Cool. I'll pop in next week sometime and say howdy!
*Hint* Lawaway on AK's! :p

ElJefe1911

imported post

Yup, I am one of the owners now. We will be doing layaways in the very near future. We are still trying to figure everything out and set up our new policies. Larry's health has been declining over the last few years and decided life is too short to spend it stuck behind the counter. For those that remember the "other" Larry's guns thread I was one of the more adamant defenders of his shop. I guess that will teach me to keep my mouth shut. If you have any ideas or suggestions about changes to the shop or inventory you would like to see please throw them out here. We are kind of making the changes on the fly.

Thanks.

Jeff

John Hardin

imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
For those that remember the "other" Larry's guns thread I was one of the more adamant defenders of his shop. I guess that will teach me to keep my mouth shut.
Heh. "Put your money where your mouth is." Congratulations, and best wishes for success!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
Yup, I am one of the owners now. We will be doing layaways in the very near future. We are still trying to figure everything out and set up our new policies. Larry's health has been declining over the last few years and decided life is too short to spend it stuck behind the counter. For those that remember the "other" Larry's guns thread I was one of the more adamant defenders of his shop. I guess that will teach me to keep my mouth shut. If you have any ideas or suggestions about changes to the shop or inventory you would like to see please throw them out here. We are kind of making the changes on the fly.

Thanks.

Jeff
Congrats! You'll have me back as a customer. I need some cleaning supplies and whatnot right now, I'll be in soon.

Marty Hayes

imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
If you have any ideas or suggestions about changes to the shop or inventory you would like to see please throw them out here. We are kind of making the changes on the fly.

Thanks.

Jeff

Yes, I do have a suggestion/request. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't sell little old ladies airweight Taurus revolvers, then send them to our Handgun Safety Seminar. Instead, sell them something that they can shoot reasonably well. A Taurus airweight is a great gun, but it needs a firm hand, and someone who will not bruise up after 5 shots.

BTW, Larry always had a handful of our Handgun Safety Training brochures on the counter, do you need some?

Marty Hayes, Director

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

kparker

imported post

Marty,

ROFL!

I'll bet you could write quite a book on all the wierd stuff you see (far too often, for the zillionth time, too.) Just hope I'm not in it! ;)

Marty Hayes

imported post

You are right, after 20 years in the biz, have seen quite a bit. But, one of my pet peeves is a gun shop employee selling a little old lady an airweight revolver. Heck, half of them can't even pull the trigger double action, let alone handle the sharp recoil.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Marty, do you have a personal recommendation for little old ladies? My wife doesn't quite qualify, but close. I would love for her to be able to carry a semi-auto, but she can't rack the slide of my .45 . Any suggestions?

ElJefe1911

imported post

Definitely stop by if you have the chance. All are welcome! I guess I did put my money where my mouth was. That will teach me to watch where I put my mouth in the future! Marty, that is why they pay you the big bucks. If they were all easy they wouldn't pay you for it and call it work. Just kidding. I will see what I can do for you. As you know the customer is always right. We try to explain it, but in the end it is their choice. I am married so I am smart enough to know better, but could you give me specific age and size requirements to define "little" and "old"? My 5'6" 56 year old mother might want to stop by and have a talk with you about your definitions! Her carry gun is a Smith 442. I do know what you are talking about and we do our best to inform.

Jeff

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
My 5'6" 56 year old mother might want to stop by and have a talk with you about your definitions! Her carry gun is a Smith 442. I do know what you are talking about and we do our best to inform. Jeff
My 78 yo grandmother caries a old S&W model 39 (steel frame), 9mm semiauto. I keep telling her when she can't hold that thing I'll get her something she can. The grip she has on my arn when I call her old tells me it will be a while yet. I believe her model 39 was made in the 60's.

Marty Hayes

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Marty, do you have a personal recommendation for little old ladies? My wife doesn't quite qualify, but close. I would love for her to be able to carry a semi-auto, but she can't rack the slide of my .45 . Any suggestions?

Yes. A Beretta Mod. 86 .380, with tip up barrel. No need to rack the slide ever. Barrel tips up to load, snap it back down and you are ready to go. Not sure if they are still in production, a trip to the Beretta web site should tell you though.

Marty